New glass or tripod?

williaada

WKR
I currently own a mid level pair of vortex binoculars. I do not have a bipod to use for glassing. I can either purchase the back country bipods or buy a high end pair of binoculars.

Last edited:
OP
W

williaada

WKR
Nobody can answer your question as it’s written.

Are you talking rifle scopes, binos, spotters, night vision, reading glasses, drinking glasses? What does “decent enough” mean? What’s the intended purpose for the “glass”? What’s your budget? Do you have weight limit/constraints? Do you own other tripods? Are you looking to shoot off of a tripod, mount an optic, other?

Details will help people give you their opinions.

Sorry For not being specific. I currently own a mid level set of vortex binoculars, and am looking to upgrade my binoculars or purchase a tripod to help with glassing. I do not own a tripod as of right now for glassing. Back Country has a sale right now. Trying to decide which will would be the better purchase right now.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
A really good tripod will set you back $150-300. High end binoculars will set you back $1000+. I'd get a tripod now, and keep saving for glass. The tripod will make a noticeable different using the glass you have now.

Get a tripod and head. Upgrade your binoculars later.

Go through a process of what you will, and may, use it for and come up with a budget. Then start looking for a tripod and head that meets your requirements. There are tradeoffs between size, weight, and stability. The type of head is a personal preference so be prepared to go through a few options before settling on one.

My Manfrotto CF gets the bulk of my glassing work as it is rock solid. If I am flying to a hunt, then my Slik CF gets the nod.

Just because something is on sale today does not necessarily make it a good purchase.

Get a tripod and head. Upgrade your binoculars later.

Go through a process of what you will, and may, use it for and come up with a budget. Then start looking for a tripod and head that meets your requirements. There are tradeoffs between size, weight, and stability. The type of head is a personal preference so be prepared to go through a few options before settling on one.

My Manfrotto CF gets the bulk of my glassing work as it is rock solid. If I am flying to a hunt, then my Slik CF gets the nod.

Just because something is on sale today does not necessarily make it a good purchase.

Exactly what I was gonna post. Listen to AZ Hunter!

archp625

WKR
Sorry For not being specific. I currently own a mid level set of vortex binoculars, and am looking to upgrade my binoculars or purchase a tripod to help with glassing. I do not own a tripod as of right now for glassing. Back Country has a sale right now. Trying to decide which will would be the better purchase right now.
Not to derail your post but I have. Vortex summit tripod and a bunch of accessories for sale right now. I will make a deal on them.

Forest

WKR
My vote would be buy a used set of good glass and use the rest of the money for a tripod.
The tripod/bino combo was game changing for me, amazing the difference it makes

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR
tripod never spotted me more animals with lesser glass. But I have found lots of animals with better glass and a rock/tree on which to lean. If I had 700-1000 I would buy the best used glass I could find. then I would sell anything I could to scratch up another 200-300 for a tripos sometime before now and hunting season

Beating the dead horse now. Tripod is a must. I ally got one last year. Made a world of difference. Whatever you do should have the tripod included.

Not to derail your post but I have. Vortex summit tripod and a bunch of accessories for sale right now. I will make a deal on them.
Interested in Summit tripod and possibly others depending what you have. Text me 3oh9-8two6-0370

@golfbum was looking at your Summit tripod as well but can not message you (new to group)

Last edited:

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
Id rather have $400 glass on a tripod then $1000 glass without a tripod.
If you are tall, (I'm 6'2") the vanguard 264ao is the best bang for your money st $149 off Amazon last I checked. There ain't nothing wrong with a pair of vultures or viper 15s. $350‐400 for used 15s and $150 tripod are all you NEED. Yes you will find a bit more game with more expensive glass but you dont NEED more expensive glass. I got meopta 15s and find a bit more then I did with my vipers but I can hold my own against guys with swaro 15s and my vipers too.