Do I Need Nicer Glass?

Grundy53

WKR
I didn’t know what youre reasoning was for being so against using a rifle to glass. Quality, safety, or some other unknown reason. That’s why I’m asking these questions.
Safety. You don't point your gun at something you're not willing to destroy.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

vince_n

FNG
There are a lot of pros for nicer glass; an important one is that you are able to glass more effectively in low light for longer. However good glass will not make or break your hunt.

It might be a good long-term goal to buy some nice binos. My wife and I own the Vortex UHD 12x50's and the Swaro NL Pure 10x42's. We enjoy being in outdoors a lot and bring our binos everywhere we go. Not just for hunting. Good binos have heightened the experience of animal encounters and we never plan to sell them. It's a life investment. We paid large sums of money to enjoy those moments in the woods and look at critters in some great optics.

Definitely not for everyone though. We get some very generous military discounts that make the spending more justifiable to us.

Good luck on your hunt!

There is a line in the Geronimo movie with Wes Studi when he tells the cavalry officer You Have Good Glass and takes them🤙 Quality glass will basically last forever if taken care of. As a youngster I spent too much upgrading and then upgrading. Bought some Leupolds 30 yrs ago still have them and then bought Leica Geovids 20 yrs ago. That was a game changer and the clarity🤙 IF going to hunt country where Quality Glass can make a Big difference yearly I would look to buy what the budget can handle. Otherwise keep what you have and IMO opinion spotters are overrated for most of us and that money can be used much better elsewhere ie 10x binos👍

Gatewood had a pair of standard 1875 military issue Bushnell's.

180ls1

WKR
How is your budget? If you can afford a $2,000 scope I think better binos are well worth the investment. However, its certainly not needed.

OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
You don't just randomly point your rifle at things.

When that thing on the next ridge turns out to be another human you are aiming at a person. Seriously, that's basic firearms safety.
Yeah I guess I wasn’t using the term glass correctly. In my head I was talking about using my scope to better ID game. Spot elk -> switch to high magnification scope for better viewing compared to 8x binos. Don’t plan on randomly sweeping the country side with my muzzle

If you can afford it, glass is always a worthy investment.
The Mavens will definitely be a noticeable difference over your current Vortex. When I upgraded I retired my old binos to the truck binos.
10x40s are the standard for western hunting. Anything with a higher magnification you will want a solid tripod. Or you can go balls deep all in and get binos with a built in stabilizer and forget the need for a tripod.

OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
If you can afford it, glass is always a worthy investment.
The Mavens will definitely be a noticeable difference over your current Vortex. When I upgraded I retired my old binos to the truck binos.
10x40s are the standard for western hunting. Anything with a higher magnification you will want a solid tripod. Or you can go balls deep all in and get binos with a built in stabilizer and forget the need for a tripod.
Looking at the maven 10x50s. I’ve never owned a nice set of binos

180ls1

WKR
Looking at the maven 10x50s. I’ve never owned a nice set of binos

I'll go against the grain and not recommend those. While the clarity is great, their FOV is small at like 260'

Used Nikon Monarch HG can be found for $600ish in 10x42 is like 360'

OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
I'll go against the grain and not recommend those. While the clarity is great, their FOV is small at like 260'

Used Nikon Monarch HG can be found for $600ish in 10x42 is like 360'
Good to know. Would you argue that FOV > Clarity?

180ls1

WKR
Good to know. Would you argue that FOV > Clarity?

No, you have to look at it as a whole and find the best balance/tradeoff. That said, for a pair you are hand holding I really think you'll benefit from more FOV in this use case. The HG has very good clarity for the price.

Jotis

WKR
I didn’t know what youre reasoning was for being so against using a rifle to glass. Quality, safety, or some other unknown reason. That’s why I’m asking these questions.
Maybe you need to take a gun safety refresher

Reactions: OMB

Spoonbill

WKR
I am going on my first elk hunt in late October - early November in Colorado. I have a pair of Vortex Crossfire HD binoculars and plan on using them as my main glassing tool. I know they are on the cheaper end but are mainly used for Eastern whitetail and turkey hunting, and are fine for those uses and ranges. My question is, should I spend money on getting new/nicer binoculars? Am I going to notice a difference it being my first hunt? Would that money be better spent on nicer binoculars or a spotting scope to accompany the binos I already own?

If I bought new binoculars, I was looking at something like the Maven C.1s. I have not looked much into spotting scopes, but I also have a Nightforce NX8 4-32 that I can utilize for glassing as well. Like I said this is my first backcountry hunt, so all advice in regards to glassing capabilities/needs/equipment is welcome. Thanks
If you have the money, better glass is worth it. My swaros are 30 years old and they have been my only pair of binos. This is just my opinion but once you have a nice pair of binos, you are less temptexto upgrade to something “better”. Eurooptic has some deals on Leica right now, could be worth a look.

If my bino glass is such bad quality and I don’t end up buying a nicer pair, why would my scope not be an alternative?
Please don't do that. If you are hunting in Colorado, you need Hunter Safety training, which the first thing they tell you is "NEVER POINT YOUR WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T WISH TO DESTROY". In some states, you would be committing a Felony (Aggravated Assault). And if you point your rifle at the wrong object (might be another hunter), you might get incoming fire.

Last edited:
OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
No, you have to look at it as a whole and find the best balance/tradeoff. That said, for a pair you are hand holding I really think you'll benefit from more FOV in this use case. The HG has very good clarity for the price.
I have a tripod

TaperPin

WKR
There is something really fun about being able to see elk and deer waaaay over there, even if they can’t be hunted from where you sit. For actual boots on the ground hunting in mixed timber you don’t need a spotting scope.

However, if you’ve drawn an open country tag you’ll use the scope to spot elk waaaaay over there. Little Jimmy was going on his first elk hunt so I made sure he had at least a cheap spotter and decent tripod. Sure enough, the only elk seen on the whole trip were waaaay over there - he went there and pulled the trigger.