New FHF FOB bino harness/my thoughts

OP
aaron600rr

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add my .02

I have used the AGC and Marsupial (current) harnesses. I've like them both and have really never looked at the FHF stuff.

I saw the this new FHF harness and liked a lot of what it had to offer, so I spent the big price and ordered one. I got it this week.

First impressions were that it was a very well built set up. I ordered the bino pouch, rangefinder pouch, extra pocket and the wings. I put it all together and was overall impressed. The wings definitely make the accessories feel more stable. The overall quality is there.

What I didn't like was the length of the straps coming off the back of the harness. They are just too long and even when using the elastic keeper I couldn't get them to lay flat. They would bunch up or come out of the keeper and it was just to "strappy". The Marsupial has the same set up but the straps are shorter and work much better. I also had a concern about the raised edges around the harness itself. I could feel them a bit under the shoulder straps of my pack and it was a bit annoying.

I was overall pretty pleased and the harness felt comfortable until I put my pack on. With the side wings and accessories on, it just didn't work with the straps of the pack. I tried all kinds of adjustment moving the harness up and down (I prefer a high riding harness) and I tried to adjust the straps on my pack a bit as well, but I couldn't get comfortable. The straps on my pack were landing on the buckles of the harness. In the end, I really wanted to like the harness, but because I couldn't get comfortable with a pack on coupled with the extra long straps on the back, I made the decision to send it back.

Build quality is great. It was comfortable when not wearing a pack and there are a lot of great features, but in the end I still prefer the Marsupial.

I'm sure this is going to work for a lot of people, heck, I wanted it to work for me. Just offering a different perspective.
Good point on the pack fitting properly with the wings. I've got the new K4 and I'll test the fit when I get home.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
The wing system seems like an improvement, but I'm curious if the windicator pouch/bottle can reside on the same side as the RF. It looks like the wings place the RF so close to the bino harness that it would be difficult to get the bottle in and out.
It can, that’s how I have mine set up.

IMG_0226.jpeg

OP
aaron600rr

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
That is the pack that I tried it with. The K4 is AWESOME by the way!
Screenshot_20230428_151101_Gallery-01.jpegThe bino harness feels comfortable with the K4 to me, but I'm pretty narrow. I could see someone with a wider frame having the wings get in the way of the shoulder straps. 1 thing I did screw up on is ordering a medium belt instead of a small for the K4.

Last edited:

repins05

WKR
The wing system seems like an improvement, but I'm curious if the windicator pouch/bottle can reside on the same side as the RF. It looks like the wings place the RF so close to the bino harness that it would be difficult to get the bottle in and out.
You should be able to. When on, there is some separation on the wings to case as the wings follow your body contour. I am able to put the marsupial eyeglass case on the same side as my rangefinder pouch.

Yes it can go in either side and you can get two if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR

WKR
I'd really like to know if it would work with a rangefinding bino or if the magnets will cause adverse effects

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked one up myself while visiting their store. Didn't want to spend this much but I have been searching for the right harness for a while and so far this checked all the boxes.

Rides high and tight on my chest. Lid is easy to open and close but not so easy it will just pop open and no so hard that it never fully closes.

I didn't get the wings. Unsure if I want them yet.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 547942The bino harness feels comfortable with the K4 to me, but I'm pretty narrow. I could see someone with a wider frame having the wings get in the way of the shoulder straps. 1 thing I did screw up on is ordering a medium belt instead of a small for the K4.
Exo has great customer service. Contact them and see if they’ll trade you out.

View attachment 547942The bino harness feels comfortable with the K4 to me, but I'm pretty narrow. I could see someone with a wider frame having the wings get in the way of the shoulder straps. 1 thing I did screw up on is ordering a medium belt instead of a small for the K4.
Already have the K4 and looking to pick up a FOB. My only concern are those raised edges on the shoulder straps of the FOB. My previous FHF, OV and Marsupial had very flat straps.

How does it feel under the pack straps?

Already have the K4 and looking to pick up a FOB. My only concern are those raised edges on the shoulder straps of the FOB. My previous FHF, OV and Marsupial had very flat straps.

I didn’t even notice them under my pack last weekend and I hiked about 25 miles on a back country bear hunt with a pack weight of about 70#’s on the way in. The only time I noticed them at all was one day when my t-shirt collar slipped down and the side of the strap was rubbing on the side of my trap/neck. As soon as I pulled my shirt collar back up it was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider

I don’t notice them. The pictures make them look thicker than they really are.

I don’t notice them. The pictures make them look thicker than they really are.
Great feedback, thanks.

I’m surprised there is not more excitement over the FOB, it looks great, and FHF is a superb company to deal with. Looking forward to testing one out.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Great feedback, thanks.

I’m surprised there is not more excitement over the FOB, it looks great, and FHF is a superb company to deal with. Looking forward to testing one out.
I think it has to do with two aspects. The first is the price. It’s obviously more expensive than other, similar bino harnesses (read: Marsupial) and that seems to be the #1 piece of criticism that I’ve seen on this site and elsewhere. I personally went back and forth between waiting for the FHF and getting a Marsupial (I went from a MR QuickDraw to the FOB), but ultimately it were the wings that kept me waiting and eventually buying the FOB.

The second is the timing of the release of Kifaru’s bino harness. Kifaru makes EXCELLENT gear, and I own some. I have spent many nights sleeping in a Kifaru woobie. I think Kifaru also has much more of a “cult following” than FHF does, so when they introduce a new product it’s going to generate more excitement.

repins05

WKR
Great feedback, thanks.

I was thinking the same thing. I was on a countdown for it. Have been looking for a harness with the modularity it offers.

I am curious if you have tested this harness for the magnet issue and phone compasses like people have reported with the marsupial? Have you noticed the magnet interfering with your phone compass while using OnX or other mapping?

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious if you have tested this harness for the magnet issue and phone compasses like people have reported with the marsupial? Have you noticed the magnet interfering with your phone compass while using OnX or other mapping?
I didn't have an issue with an MC-2 or USGI lensatic, but haven't tried it with my phone yet. I'll give it a go and report back, probably won't be able to until this weekend though.