New Durston Tent

Anyone posted anything about this yet? Sorry if I missed it. Been looking into an x-mid, and came across this..

OP
cornfedkiller
I’m curious on pricing. Is durston buy once cry once quality?

I cannot answer that as I don't personally have one, but I don't hear many complaints about quality.. And I've heard their customer service is awesome. I saw a post on Reddit where a guy had some tearing happening where the trekking pole seats and Dan replied and basically said it used to be a problem years ago but its been redesigned and he offered to send the guy a new fly for his tent.

Ram94

WKR
I’ve got an XMid 2P Solid and while it’s not Hilleberg quality, it’s a very capable tent at a much lighter weight. I actually sold a Nallo 3gt after using the XMid for a couple seasons. As close to the perfect tent as I’ve come across. But tent choice like everything else is very personal.

All that to say, the XDome should turn out to be a great tent and I wouldn’t be worried about quality issues.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
At a guess this will be $300-$350 in Silpoly, and likely around $700 in DCF. Not sure if Dan will make both.

I own a Durston DCF tent...I do take more care when using it due to the materials and cost, but sure enjoy the lighter pack weight.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Im interested, hopefully it's an exterior pole fly first setup. Durston is a BC guy and has posted on some local hunting forums, I wish him all the best.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I emailed Dan back in December about this design and he said that it would be available sometime in 2024 and the DCF version would be available in 2025.
I'm a believer in a cross pole design and a side entrance.

Randy

pugwylde

FNG
Honestly, for the price, there isn't much crying. Look at other tents with the same size, weight, and materials, and you are doing pretty good.

I have an x-mid 2 that I've run in the rain and it is pretty low stress. I would highly recommend to go check out Durston on Reddit... Dan is easily the most responsive, informative business owner you'll ever have the pleasure of engaging with.

Mudd Foot

WKR

Yes. Have had a 2p since 2021 and the details are well thought-out, and executed. Easiest pitch I’ve seen let alone used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kad11

WKR
Anyone posted anything about this yet? Sorry if I missed it. Been looking into an x-mid, and came across this..

This is going to be my huckleberry - I don't understand why no one else is working on something like this. This looks to be very similar to the old Go Lite Utopia 2+, just with a side entrance. Sew in a stove jack , build a simple Sibley-style wood stove, and you have a lightweight, freestanding, heated solo shelter that's soooo much easier to setup in snow and frozen ground than tipis...

sneaky

"DADDY"
So it's essentially the same layout as the new Tarptent Arcdome Ultra?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

So it's essentially the same layout as the new Tarptent Arcdome Ultra?

"We explain this because recently a competitor has announced their intention to offer a freestanding tent based on our X-Mid floorplan. We are disappointed a major company is appropriating our floorplan invention and claiming it as their idea (5 years after we released a tent with it), but we share this not to air a grievance with them (please be nice) nor to claim they are outside of what they are legally allowed to do (that is complex matter) but just to clearly explain that this floorplan is our invention, and to share that the idea of combining this unique floorplan with a traditional freestanding tent pole structure has not escaped us. We've been prototyping such a tent for several years - which is patent pending and we call the X-Dome. We may not be the first to release a freestanding tent of this type, but this floorplan geometry is something we invented and best understand, having spent years developing and refining this idea."

sneaky

"DADDY"
"We explain this because recently a competitor has announced their intention to offer a freestanding tent based on our X-Mid floorplan. We are disappointed a major company is appropriating our floorplan invention and claiming it as their idea (5 years after we released a tent with it), but we share this not to air a grievance with them (please be nice) nor to claim they are outside of what they are legally allowed to do (that is complex matter) but just to clearly explain that this floorplan is our invention, and to share that the idea of combining this unique floorplan with a traditional freestanding tent pole structure has not escaped us. We've been prototyping such a tent for several years - which is patent pending and we call the X-Dome. We may not be the first to release a freestanding tent of this type, but this floorplan geometry is something we invented and best understand, having spent years developing and refining this idea."
Said competitor already has pictures up on theirs. I've already read that on Dan's page. There's not ten percent difference between his tents and tarptents that he modeled his off of. He should know how the game is played by this point.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Said competitor already has pictures up on theirs. I've already read that on Dan's page. There's not ten percent difference between his tents and tarptents that he modeled his off of. He should know how the game is played by this point.

Having owned multiple variations of Tarptent (Double Rainbow DW and Stratospire 1) and both the Xmid-1 and Xmid 2, am not sure I agree that the Xmid is modeled off of any of Henry’s designs. That said, most of Henry’s designs are also derivative while being outstandingly executed. Am unaware of any discussion of XMid that was anyway thought to be anything but original. That includes YouTube research and BPL. BPL really picks the pepper out of flyshit, so if that sentiment were shared I feel like I would have heard it. But I get your point; very little in the world is utterly new, and NOT derivative of something that came before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
I'm looking forward to trying one out. Big fan of my X Mid Solid, and have a lot of respect for how Dan runs his business.

Huh, hadn’t paid attention to tents in a few years but this made me look at tarptents stuff. Some pretty cool stuff out there now but the stratospire 2 @ $259 now is hard to look past. I’m pretty sure I paid that much for my stratospire 2 used on the BPL classifieds a decade ago. Guess that making stuff in Asia makes a difference.

This durston tent looks sweet too.

Don’t know much about either company or who created what first. However, I’ll be purchasing this tent. Excited to use a tent with TNT fabric. Should be released shortly.