New duck hunter needs advice on shells.

Bajr

FNG
I'm kind of new to the duck hunting world. Been deer hunter all my life. Have a buddy that offer to take me duck hunting 2 years ago when he got a duck boat. Kind of hooked now LOL. Alot to digest because so much out there. I have a winchester sxp shoot gun and have jeb .690 choke. Very expensive to buy a bunch of different brand shells to shoot. Does anyone have this setup to give advice on the shells that patterns the best? I know it's kind of a loaded (pun intended lol) question. Different brand guns shoot different chokes and shells different. Just curious is all.

OneGunTex

FNG
They will pretty much all kill birds. So if you are going to be hunting a bunch, going through a box of shells a week, it won't be that much more expensive to buy 5 different boxes, test a couple rounds each on paper, use all 5 boxes hunting, and when you run out only buy your favorite.

OneGunTex

FNG
a jeb .690 choke
Sorry but if this is a 12ga then that's an Extra Full choke and won't work well for you. First of all, you might damage (bulge) your barrel shooting steel shot out of it. Second, your shot will be too compressed at duck-shooting distances (20-40yds) to give you much of a chance of killing them.

Your gun probably came with a flush Modified choke, which will work perfectly fine in almost all scenarios. If it also came with an Imp Cylinder or Full choke, try those out too. (Just make sure you can safely shoot steel out of the Full choke first!)

OneGunTex

FNG
Also, coincidentally, there's an active thread right now about shot sizes for duck. Recommend you check it out, buy a few of the recommended boxes, and pattern your gun.

OP
B

Bajr

FNG
Sorry but if this is a 12ga then that's an Extra Full choke and won't work well for you. First of all, you might damage (bulge) your barrel shooting steel shot out of it. Second, your shot will be too compressed at duck-shooting distances (20-40yds) to give you much of a chance of killing them.

Your gun probably came with a flush Modified choke, which will work perfectly fine in almost all scenarios. If it also came with an Imp Cylinder or Full choke, try those out too. (Just make sure you can safely shoot steel out of the Full choke first!)
Thank you. It did come with a flush modified. I'll try that out.

Black cloud #2s 3"
I do have the Carlson black cloud choke set mostly use mid range except on big water/sound use long range choke a nd 3.5" #2s for divers.

I did get some of those fancy Boss shells #2 and #3 mixed last year..haven't used any of them yet...

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been duck hunting 8-9 years now. I’ve tried Boss bismuth and yeah they work very well if your are shooting well but if you are missing all I see is dollar bills going down range.

I’ve been using the federal power shok or the Winchester superXs for most my years. Normally in 3” 2s for the whole season. I’ll up it to 3.5” 2s for divers in the late season and 3.5” BB for geese.

I mainly use patternmaster.

I know the Winchester SXP is a great gun and many people love their’s. I hated mine. I never got used to the Speed Pump and would short stroke it every time. I shot it a lot. Finally on opening day I missed on two separate wood ducks easy follow up shots. Due to short stroking I’d rechamber the empty shell. That day I took that shotgun, a pistol and a rifle to the gun shop and traded them off and threw more money in on a Winchester SX4 and never looked back. It was honestly the best thing I’ve done for my duck hunting career thus far.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bajr

FNG
I’ve been duck hunting 8-9 years now. I’ve tried Boss bismuth and yeah they work very well if your are shooting well but if you are missing all I see is dollar bills going down range.

I’ve been using the federal power shok or the Winchester superXs for most my years. Normally in 3” 2s for the whole season. I’ll up it to 3.5” 2s for divers in the late season and 3.5” BB for geese.

I mainly use patternmeaster.

I know the Winchester SXP is a great gun and many people love their’s. I hated mine. I never got used to the Speed Pump and would short stroke it every time. I shot it a lot. Finally on opening day I missed on two separate wood ducks easy follow up shots. Due to short stroking I’d rechamber the empty shell. That day I took that shotgun, a pistol and a rifle to the gun shop and traded them off and threw more money in on a Winchester SX4 and never looked back. It was honestly the best thing I’ve done for my duck hunting career thus far.
I know what you mean on the speed pump. Still getting use to it.

Start with shooting steel out of your factory mod choke and go from there. A mod choke and steel shot will work for 94.5% of duck hunting shots. Play around with a couple loads and go from there. An aftermarket choke might help but if you're throwing a good pattern with the factory, just leave it alone.

I have been using a Kicks High Flyer Mod for years and it has worked well. I couldn't even tell you what the gun shot with a factory choke. The kicks has been in there for over 20 years.

Havoc

FNG
Migra was one of the top sellers at the waterfowl shop I worked at. Kent fast steel was also very popular. Migra is a stacked blend, so shot size 2 and 4 in the shell.