New 7mm rem mag rifle recommendations

fmarrs3

FNG
After years of fighting to get sentimental, 40+ yo rifles to shoot well (and a few misses), I'm ready to pony up for a western big game rifle. I mainly hunt elk, exotics, and deer <400y, but would be interested in stretching out a little further too (maybe 500-600y). I've settled on 7mm rem mag as a good all around cartridge. I've shot .30 cal most of my life so not too worried about recoil.

I'm just starting this process, but looking for recommendations as I'm a little overwhelmed. My first priority is out-of-the-box accuracy for a range of factory loads (I don't handload... yet, at least). My second priority is durability and lifetime. For price I can do anywhere <=$1500. Weight is less of a concern than other factors, although I mostly do backcountry hunting, anything less than 8 pounds will make me happy. Small bonus points for smaller USA companies and nice fit and finish (I'm a sucker for a smooth action).

Based on above requirements, I'm mainly looking at rifles with stainless barrels, preferably fluted and threaded, and some with cerakote. Good synthetic stock, good trigger, etc. Below are some contenders in rough order. Thoughts?

Tikka T3X superlite (if ever in stock again) or veil K2
Christensen Arms Mesa
Weatherby Vanguard Meateater or Accuguard (if still made/available)
Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon (not sure these are made anymore)
Remington 700 Sendero (not sure these are made anymore)
Winchester M70 Extreme Weather
Bergara Wilderness Ridge

Are there any I am leaving out? Are there substantial differences in many of the above rifle, or does it just come down to what feels and fits best in my hands at this point?

I've heard a lot of negative things on here about the CA MESA but I purchased one a few years ago and absolutely love it. Its been tack driver for me & it loved Hornady 162 ELDx and the Winchester Expedition Big Game Long Range 168 grain Nosler AccuBond

CCooper

WKR
As a Christensen owner who has great luck 5 ridgelines/ traverses, I would drop that one from your list if a smooth action is on the top of your list. No one will brag about those actions being buttery.

idahodave

WKR
What Clark33 said. I have one in 7mm Rem Mag. It's just stupid accurate, and assembled as a purely functional tool. I don't love the aesthetics if I'm being honest, but from a functionality perspective it's all but unbeatable.

Dave

I like my browning XBolts, have a Speed in 30 06, Max Long Range in 300 Win Mag and a Western hunter in 28 Nosler, all super accurate. My boys both have Bergara Wilderness Ridge in 7 mm Mag. They are a bit heavy but tack drivers. Trigger is sweet and adjusted to 2 lb., shooting 180 grain Berger VLD Hunters at > 1" at 100 yards. the trigger is much better on the Bergara. I replaced the triggers on my Brownings with Timneys. Like both of these better than my older Remington 700 and Weatherby. For me it comes down to how the gun feels for me in stock, balance, and weight. if you can hold a few to see the differences.

OP
F

fmarrs3

FNG
Already have a scope ready for it (Vortex Viper HS), so scope cost isn't really a factor, but $ for upgrades as needed is worth considering. Also should note since I hope this to be a jack of all trades for western hunting, a tight twist is preferable. I think some of the brownings are 1:8, while most of the others are 1:9-1:9.5". Worth considering trying to find a 1:8 so I can stabilize heavier rounds?

Already have a scope ready for it (Vortex Viper HS), so scope cost isn't really a factor, but $ for upgrades as needed is worth considering. Also should note since I hope this to be a jack of all trades for western hunting, a tight twist is preferable. I think some of the brownings are 1:8, while most of the others are 1:9-1:9.5". Worth considering trying to find a 1:8 so I can stabilize heavier rounds?

My Tikka 7 Mag with a 1-9.5 twist will stabilize 175 grain bullets just fine. I am working up a 160-168 grain load for moose right now. Shot three different 160 and 162 grain bullets and didn't have a problem with any of them. As soon as I get my hands on some 168 grain Nosler ABLR bullets I will load them up and try them as well.

I vote Tikka T3x SL all day. I have a safe full of different brand/caliber rifles. The Tikka 7RM SL gets the vote 95% of the time. Very accurate, great trigger, fits me and a silky smooth bolt. If I had to own one rifle, this would be the one.

No idea why they’re not in production (I may call out of curiosity) but the X bolt 7RM with a 1/8 twist is a bad bitch. It’s my second 7 RM (other is a 1970s Win) but this one flat shoots and is easy to shoot. I get 180 ELD-Ms sub MOA at 3100 FPS and it kicks like a manbun without a brake.

Good luck!

Seeknelk

WKR
Tikka t3x , add vertical grip if you like.
Too slick, accurate, light and durable not to.
I don't like flutes so I'd skip super light. Leaves option of cutting barrel shorter open if I wanted to.

ChemE

FNG
I have 4 modern rifles and a whole safe full of model 70 and rem 700s. The 4 newer guns are a first gen Sendero in 7mm STW, a Hells Canyon Speed in 7mm and 2 Mesas in 308 and 6.5cm. I love them all but am particularly fond of the Mesas and will be using those this deer season. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
My Tikka 7 Mag with a 1-9.5 twist will stabilize 175 grain bullets just fine. I am working up a 160-168 grain load for moose right now. Shot three different 160 and 162 grain bullets and didn't have a problem with any of them. As soon as I get my hands on some 168 grain Nosler ABLR bullets I will load them up and try them as well.
What 175s and what is your elevation?

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
No idea why they’re not in production (I may call out of curiosity) but the X bolt 7RM with a 1/8 twist is a bad bitch. It’s my second 7 RM (other is a 1970s Win) but this one flat shoots and is easy to shoot. I get 180 ELD-Ms sub MOA at 3100 FPS and it kicks like a manbun without a brake.

Good luck!

Just a quick look and it seems they have replaced it. The Western LR has a 1-8 7RM.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Just a quick look and it seems they have replaced it. The Western LR has a 1-8 7RM.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
A lot of classic calibers (7 RM, 25-06, 270, 260) take a step up with heavier bullets... seems like the manbun got the masses thinking more about BC over velocity (it did for me). I only bought another 7RM because I had components but sure glad I did. It’s a real shooter and the heavy/fast round that’s easy to shoot and accurate is a great package. Good luck.

Wish i wouldn't have sold the M77. Now i have an Xbolt HCS. Shoots great out to 300 but i havent sited in at anything further yet.

Grosbc

FNG
I have a Christensen Mesa in a 6.5 Creedmoor. Gun shoots well, but as mentioned, action is not the smoothest. Just bought a 7 RM in a Tikka Veil. Chose the Veil for the 5/8x24 thread size for a suppressor. Have only taken It to the range once, but was just under 1 MOA at 200 yds. The lighter Tikkas and CA Mesa typically take a 1/2x28 tbread.