Neuroma problem need help!!

Yukondog

WKR
After injections solved my neuroma in January I finally got the courage up to hit the trail again with my boots. To this point running 8 miles caused no pain, hiking in sneakers caused no pain and carrying a 65lb pack while on the trail with sneakers caused no pain. I thought I was in the clear. Yet, 3.5 miles into a moderate hike doing the Castlewood Canyon figure 8 loop (for those close to Franktown) and just as far from the truck my foot was on fire AGAIN!!! Rested it for 7 days or so and now I can only run 3 miles before the pain is back. I'm tired of this!!!! I have another date with the podiatrist and a needle on Tuesday. Yippy for me!

All that to say my Hanwag Mtn Lights are not the boot for me. Looking for some knowledge to be dropped on me before I spent another $300+ on boots. In need of narrow heal and wide foot options out there. The Hanwags fit great except across the balls of my feet, too tight. It is my fault as I was trying to will them to work.

Any suggestions on boot brands with a wider footbox would be outstanding! Something in the same league as the Hanwags.

Thanks,

Matt

PS Neuromas are no fun.

Bighub1

Lil-Rokslider
Well I have narrow heal and wide foot box. I have tried on many boots over the last 2 months including kenetreks, meindles, vasque, keen, asolo, and lowa. I wanted to see how hanwags fit, but don't feel comfortable buying something I can't try on. So I bought lowa khumbu II's over the lowa renegades. I was impressed how comfortable lowa's were out of the box. The renegades felt as comfortable as a pair of nikes but the khumbu's had better support. A very close second were the asolo boots. Each pair I tried felt great especially the fugitives, but they didn't have much support with a 5" boot.
Jmtc

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yukondog, I have a friend with this same basic problem. I would suggest you trace your feet and send it to Lathrop's. I have a narrow feet and Hanwag fit me great. My friend has a fat foot and they suggested Zamberlan's for him.

Kotaman

WKR
I have all of the Han Wag Boots Lathrop sells (Alaskans, Mt. Lites, Trappers and the hiking boot) and they all are to narrow in the front for me. I bought a pair of the new Lowa Bighorns a couple weeks ago and like them a lot. I've also heard Zamberlans are wider up front. Having a narrow heel and wider forefoot makes boot shopping challenging. I think I've bought, sold, returned 15 plus pairs of boots over the past couple years. My two favorites to date are Lowa Sheephunters and the Lowa Bighorn. Could never get Lowa Tibets to work for me either.

I have a narrow heel with a wide front and I use Soloman quest4d's. They fit me great I got them 1 size bigger than my tennis shoe size and in EE width. Give them a look.

Gman

WKR
So I have had a neuroma problem come and go and I've had the same boot troubles as you. My foot is also narrow heel with wide forefoot. Whenever I don't leave enough room in my forefoot the neuroma comes back. Hanwags from Lathrop didn't work for me even with tracings and some custom mods.

Depending on the type of boot you like I've found success with the Solomon 4D, my goto all around boots are Meindl Island Pros in a wide. They have memory foam around the heel area giving a good heel cup and the wide isn't so wide as to make the rest of the boot fit sloppy. I'd also look at Lowa boots in regular and wide and pair with the right pair of insoles to get the best fit.

Good luck.

mtbshark

WKR
this is a great thread!

I purchased a set of HanWag Dakotas and i have to say that they have the best heal cup of any boot i have ever put on my feet. But the crappy side is that with no laces up front and from heal lock up snug my feet go numb quick! that was my fix for toe box pressure.
For the Turkey opener i was in them for 2 days straight and now my right foot has been numb since.

Bighub1

Lil-Rokslider
I've thought about starting a thread about boot fit vs actual foot dimensions. I think it would be helpful to give some numbers to what someone calls a narrow heal or a wide fore foot. With that, each could add which boots have and have not felt comfortable. I know this will not be the end all for the boot that fits you the best, but it would be a good starting guide especially if you don't have the luxury of an outdoorsman type store nearby. Any thoughts?

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Thanks for all the replies.

I have heard about the solomans more than once. I have a pair of their trail shoes that fit great. Today I stopped by REI and tried on Zamberlan Vioz and the Lowa Renegades. The Zamberlan fit well and was told also that they do have a bigger toe box. The Lowas I tried on where in wide and they felt good as well.

The Soloman Quest's (which where not is stock) are similiar in design to the Lowa Renegades. After looking at these three boots I would like something in the middle design/construction wise. The Lowa's and Soloman don't look like they would hold up very long and the Vioz boot is a little much for August and September hunts.

Any feedback on the durability of the Lowa's and Soloman's?

Looking online at the Crispi Idaho boot as well, though not crazy about a 9" boot. That style seems to be right in the middle of a full leather upper and the Soloman Quest/Lowa Renegade boot.

Gman

WKR
If you have a Cabelas nearby try the Meindl Alaksan Hunter - I think that's the equivalent of my Meindl Island Pro - in regular and wide. It's an all leather boot but not the most aggressive with regards to stiffness. Very durable.

Shortdraw

FNG
Wow, this is right down my alley. I too have a neuroma in my left foot. Bought some Khumbu's as well and happy with them. (It seems like all of the neuroma guys have wide feet with narrow heels.) I have been very happy with Lowas. I have had multiple pairs of Renegade's, have a pair of Tibets, and now the Khumbus. My one piece of advice is to try the tear drop shaped pads that stick to your insole. They separate the bones of your foot that press on the nerve that causes the neuroma. Have a caring lady friend press on the sole of your foot until she hits the neuroma. Put a dot of red lipstick on the spot. Step onto your insole (pulled out of your boot) so as to mark your insole with the lipstick. Put the tear drop pad about 1/3 of an inch back from the red dot with the point of the tear drop pointing to the heel. (In other words, the rounded part of the tear drop is 1/3 of an inch back from the red dot.). It will feel weird at first but you get used to it. The pad does take up some volume in your boot. The most important thing about neuromas is to not use shoes/boots that cramp your foot. Good luck.

Gman

WKR