Mortons Neuroma

Bubdog

FNG
Does anyone have any exercises or at home therapy that you would recommend for a Morton's Neuroma? MY foot started hurting around the middle of November and I went to the doctor around Christmas. The "doctor" I went to just wants to give cortisone shots and sell me insoles and isnt much for giving out useful information. I have a felt pad on my insole to keep pressure off the ball of my foot right now. I have walked with it for the last two months and all the cardio that I have done has been on my assault bike. Im ready to start easing back into rucking with light weight and praying the pain doesnt come back.
I have a hunt in October that I need to get ready for.

My first recommendation and I guess the only one I have because it worked for me, is to get your feet out of anything narrow! Your forefoot and toes need to spread out… barefoot.

I started wearing barefoot style shoes. I rarely wear boots anymore but the ones I have are very wide so they don’t cramp my foot (width).

Roll your foot over a tennis ball or some therapy ball. Stay barefoot indoors all the time. Get your toes spread apart.

I’ll see if I can find any old articles. The doc I went to did the same shit and I wasn’t going for it.

MHB

FNG
As was said above you feet need to be able to spread out. I have gone to a wide toe box on my hunting and everyday shoes and boots. This seems to have helped for the most part.

I do get flair ups occasionally when I do a lot of side hilling in a boot that doesn't have a stiff shank.

The podiatrist I went to said there were injections, insoles, and surgery if I wanted to go down that path, but he didn't recommend any of these. He suggested barefoot zero drop type shoes, and changing my hunting boots to a wide or EE version. He also gave me what he called a silly exercise, but it was a miracle for me.

The exercise is simple:

Sit on the floor with your back against the wall. legs straight out in front of you flat on the floor with your toes up. Take a towel, dog leash, or strap and loop over the ball of your foot. Pull the ball of your foot towards your knee (while keeping your knee flat on the floor) with the strap and hold for 2 seconds. Repeat 15 times per leg. 3 sets in the AM 3 sets in the PM.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got to say, I already had the orthotics and could take them or leave them. I got the shot late August, pain was gone for Sept hunt and has not come back. I got one of those little shiatsu foot massager things too and use it often. Had the shot one other time for planter fasciitis years ago and it worked then also.

Very painful, ive had it for years now, but I manage it. I dont let my foot get too inflamed any more. Shorter hikes now. No exercises or stretches work for me. Probably because it is a nerve issue. I've had cortisone shots when it was real bad and inflamed. I mean burning crunching sensation bad. Now I manage it. Boots with more toe room to spread out and laces that do not squeeze my foot, including the top instep of my feet. Really firm soles that don't flex a lot and dont allow upward pressure on my soles when walking on rocks and scree. Take boots off in the evening at camp, masage and elevate to calm down the inflamed nerves. Take an alleve.

Yoder

WKR
I had surgery on my left foot to have the arch reconstructed. I got some screws and a metal wedge put in. After that they told me to always use orthotics. I did for a while until I listened to a book called Born to run. It talked about all of the benefits of being barefoot and how cushioned shoes have destroyed our knees and feet. I slowly switched to barefoot shoes, and I did a lot of heel raises to strengthen my feet. I have no pain anymore. If you don't want to try barefoot shoes and are looking for a good normal shoe with a big toe box, check out Altras. They are actually shaped like your foot.

OP
B

Bubdog

FNG
Thanks for all the help. I have incorporated the exercises yall listed and some others. I realized the boots I rucked in most of the time must be main cause of the pain. I have changed to rucking in some minimalist training shoes for the time being. I am going to try my hunting boots on a few rucks to see if I need to buy some new ones.

The surgery that removes the 'scarring' on the nerves might help but you'll need to be 'off your feet' for a while afterwards. I had this for 20+ years and eventually after time the pain goes away, just feels like the ball of my foot is "hardened" or Not as flexible as it used to be. Not 'callus' unless it's "Internal calluses" (my term, not real). Doesn't hurt unless walking on hard surfaces barefoot for Long periods, which I avoid.
WIDE

I didnt even realize I had Morton’s Neuroma until I looked it up out of curiosity after reading this thread.

The 3/4th toes was a dead giveaway.

Mine was shoes ever so slightly too small and lack of arch support. I bought a size bigger and added Sole cork insoles with the MET pad. I also had to readjust how I was lacing my boots because of pressure across the front of my ankle.

These things have made a huge difference for me. I also stretch my feet a lot and sometimes put cotton balls between my toes when I can walk around barefoot.