Nemo Kayu 15

Rich_Senn

FNG
Anyone have any experience with the Nemo Kayu 15? I believe it's relatively new for 2018 so may not be that much experience yet.

After all my sleeping bag back and forth I'm leaning towards it to try out for a 3 season bag. Didn't really want a mummy bag but it appears to be a little larger than most with some great features.

I'd love to go Western Mountaineering Badger MF in a 15 degree or Feathered Friends Raven YF in a 10 degree but I really have a hard time with how water resistant they can be without going to their waterproof shells and neither of them treat their down with anything to make it water resistant, plus were looking at $550 for those, $700+ on the waterproof shells, and $389 for the Nemo with treated

From what I've seen the Nemo Kayu has just about the exact same specs as the Kuiu 15 both in size and weight at 1lb 14oz, 800+ treated down fill, but again its a $300 savings with the Kayu.

Have you checked out the new stone glacier bags? I thought they were pretty sweet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have you checked out the new stone glacier bags? I thought they were pretty sweet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes I did, that one was on my list.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Nemo Kayu tonight. If I don’t like it I’ll return and keep up the search.

The MF shell on the WM bags is very water resistant. Water will pool up on the shell and you can shake it off. There's a reason they don't use treated down, they didn't see a need for it. Let us know how that Nemo works out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The MF shell on the WM bags is very water resistant. Water will pool up on the shell and you can shake it off. There's a reason they don't use treated down, they didn't see a need for it. Let us know how that Nemo works out.

That's what I gathered to from research, it just made me a little nervous. I'm hopeful the Nemo bag will be a good one, I'll report in once I have it.

Just received the Nemo Kayu..

FIrst impressions are that it's a nice bag, but there are some challenges. I should note this is the first ever mummy bag I've been in.

I'm 5'11 and I should have ordered the long. I have pretty broad shoulders in comparison to the average and I can't even zip the bag closed because it's so tight around the top. I had to have the wife come in and zip it closed for me. Switching to WM or FF won't solve this problem either since the specs are about the same. With the long it will go from 62'' in the shoulder to 67'', but I don't know how you big guys do mummy bags.

The weight is spot on as advertised. 1lb 14 oz even on my cheap fish scale and 2lbs even with the stuff sack.

The zipper snags....in fact it snagged 3 or 4 times just trying to close it the first time.

The vents are cool on the front but honestly I was so clastrophobic in the bag, plus I was almost stuck in it I wouldn't be able to conveniently zip those open or closed without some work.

So I'm back to square one. Tempted to exchange for a long with REI or return it. I'm not sure I'm cut out for the mummy style bags. WM or FF won't fix that for me other than I'm sure the zippers are 100% better.

30xjsk6.jpg

Last edited:
It's heading to REI. Thank goodness for their return policy, but I tried it a couple more times and it's to snug in the shoulders.

I'm going to give it one more go with the Nemo Sonic..Its a zero degree, instead of a 15, so it's a little heavier but it's the largest bag I could find in the 3lb or under mark.

69'' in the shoulder
63" in the hips
56" in the footbox

Compared to the Kayu which was 62/57/46.

From what i'm reading on Nemo it doesn't say internal dimensions. It just says 67" on that Kayu and "tailored patterning ". Doesn't sound like it's designed for roominess. The WM bags have a ton more room just from looking at the pics on the respective websites. My Kodiak is almost too roomy and i'm almost 6'4" 200#. You need to find a WM bag and give a true comparison.

I just ordered the Sonic 0 long yesterday from Mountain Steals. Its last years model but it came out to be right at $300 after it was all said and done and then another 10% back from ActiveJunky. I really wanted a WM Kodiak but thought I would take a chance on the Sonic at that price. I will post up some size info when I get it if you haven't already bought one. I know that WM lists inside dimensions and I hope the Nemo specs are inside as well.

I also ordered the Sonic 0 from Mountain Steals and hope the regular length fits after reading this. I'm 5'10". I'll find out this week when it arrives.

Mine came in today. It is long enough for me. I am 5'10". If I was one inch taller I think it would be an issue. Seems like it was designed for my height. I am happy with the purchase as this is my first down bag. I can't believe how light it is. I know it probably will not keep me warm to 0* but it does seem warm regardless. It will be a while before I actually use it but I wanted to get the purchase out of the way and move on to other things.

I have a Nemo Nocturne 15, discontinued now. Its closest to the current Riff 15. The non mummy shape (spoon shape) is awesome. I'm not a mummy fan and im a side sleeper so the spoon shape works great. Highly recommend the spoon shape, and its definitely light enough to backpack hunt with. Get the long version with any Nemo bag as they run a little small plus the long version gives you more shoulder width. My bag has worked well up here in Alaska.

My Sonic long came in today. I am very happy with the sizing. I am a stomach/side sleeper. I usually sleep on my stomach with 1 knee bent and arm under my pillow above my head. I prefer the long bags so that I can kinda slump down into the bottom of the bag and when my arm is above my head it tucks into the hood of the bag. I am 5'10" and 200lbs and this bag allows me to splay out with a little room to spare. The long version gives the width I need and also the length. I am sure this bag will not hold up to its 0 degree rating but I am OK with that. Overall very pleased so far.

Back