Needing another pack, What would you do?

Daniel_M

WKR
With draw tag results coming out in less that 27 days, it's already time to start tweaking gear lists and dialing in new stuff. I put both my gal and I in for sheep tags hoping 1 of us will draw, if not we will manage a fly-in to another region. I'm currently running a Barneys pack with the 6800CU, it's worked well for it's intended use - hauling out moose. So another pack is a must, regardless.

I'm stuck between where to move forward. I've contemplated dropping the coin for the bigger 7800CU Barneys pack and using the existing frame for her to use this fall, and buying myself a new pack. Or getting her a completely new pack just for her and ordering a Kifaru compartment bag to expand my pack with. I might even be able to squeak by without changing my Barneys pack, prelim packing will rule that in or out. The meat shelf definitely puts the load a lot higher. Expectations of a 100# load out.

So given the options out there, what sort of direction would you go? Funds aren't typically an issue and she absolutely values good gear just as much as I do, no complaints when it's time to pay the bill.

I'm not limiting this to 1 manufacturer, it's all about fit and finish, comfort of load carrying. Shooting for light(er) weight, when you have a 50# pack limit, it's tough when your pack is 10# empty.

Hoping Becca (and other women) will chime in here...

Thanks
-Dan

You expect your wife to haul 100# out? She must be tough!

If you're going Kifaru, I'd rock that new Bikini frame and DT2 bag (or the highcamp bag if she wants minimal accessories and super light).

I'd also wait and see how the new Stone Glacier stacks up in Matt Cashell's review here on Rokslide.

Mike

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
You expect your wife to haul 100# out? She must be tough!

If you're going Kifaru, I'd rock that new Bikini frame and DT2 bag (or the highcamp bag if she wants minimal accessories and super light).

I'd also wait and see how the new Stone Glacier stacks up in Matt Cashell's review here on Rokslide.

Mike

Nahh, lol. But a pack should be comfortable to 100#. I imagine 65 is a solid expectation for "her" to pack out with. An dyes, I've had my eye on the Stone Glacier packs but yet to get my hands on one.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dan,

What don't you like about the Barney's? How are you trying to improve?

How often will your wife use this pack?

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
Dan,

What don't you like about the Barney's? How are you trying to improve?

How often will your wife use this pack?

1) I love my Barneys pack but the meat shelf puts the load higher up my back. I come in at 6ft5 so a proper load is important for my back, especially on a 7 day sheep hunt. It's built like a tank and it is sort of the "premier" go to bag for Alaskans being that they are a local unit. My only complaint is stiff shoulders but that is likely my fault for not being in shape and training "with" my pack.

Link to my current pack.

Link to there larger pack w/out a shelf

You can see a 8+ inch difference in load placement.

2) How often? I really don't know to be honest. She's my partner in crime in the woods so the intent is to hunt together more often. We're also looking at a Kodiak goat hunt this fall. With that will come more backpacking trips to get in shape.

3) Improvements? Well we need another pack. The trick question is who do I outfit and/or upgrade. I will ultimately have the bigger load coming off the mountain. Volume, load placement and pack weight are kinda the top 3 criteria. My Barneys pack is like 10# empty so it is heavy and makes up 20% of an already low weight limit on a Super Cub flight.

The bikini frame with whatever bag you choose is all the rage right now, but personally I am still waiting to see about fit. If it fits that thing will rock!
Might take a look at the Kifaru Timberline 1, I have had 120 or so lbs in it comfortably.
If you want to go completely custom a McHale pack is very good, and he will make whatever you want. You will have a pretty good wait time during the trial fitting sessions till it is built.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well it sounds like you like the Barney's so maybe get a different bag, or go with a compression/ dry bag setup to cut weight?

For her are you thinking internal or external? Internal is generally more comfy, external generally better with big loads.

What size is she? If she's small and you want an external take a look at the Kelty. It has adjustable frame height which might help her.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
She's tall, medium build. Strong woman, I have no doubts she will do well this fall. Build time could be some what of an issue, we are 7 months away from Sheep season and prelim outings have to be done. Im not a fan of taking brand new stuff out for big trips.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Buy her a Kelty frame pack for $100, then if she doesn't like it buy a T1 used and try that out. Seems like your best option given not wanting wait time.

I'm going through McHales process now and he doesn't get in a hurry.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
Consulted my much better half. Turns out she was very pleased with my Barneys pack this fall whilst humping gear to the river.

So that leaves my choice of a new pack.

It will likely be a Stone Glacier Terminus, Kifaru DT1 or the new Highcountry.

I'll wait for more reviews.

I am bias towards Kifaru and for very good reason. I know there are many new packs coming out and some look really nice and may be good. However, many years of research and use has put KIFARU where they are today. If you are a fan of a pack with pockets, the Timberline series is INCREDIBLE. NOW with the choice of 2 different frames for it is just awesome. I use a DT3 and would not trade it for anything. You may find other good packs but none better than Kifaru!!

Slim Jim

WKR
I've been using eberlestock for years and finally pulled the trigger on a kifaru dt1 with the bikini frame. I can't wait to get it! I hope it lives up to all the hype because I'm tired of my traps and shoulders killing me. You get what you pay for

1) I love my Barneys pack but the meat shelf puts the load higher up my back. I come in at 6ft5 so a proper load is important for my back, especially on a 7 day sheep hunt.

The high load is a simple fix. Just lower the bag on the frame. You can either use the lower set of holes which will lower the whole thing six inches (as done on the "bob" frame) or if that is too far, just drill new holes that split the difference. My day lowered his "hunter" bag about 3", and really likes it. The ease of customization is one of the perks of external frames.

There is zero reason for the load shelf on a sheep hunt. I mean, it's not needed to support the big bag, so why would you use it with the smaller one? Throw it in you "old gear" box and don't think about it again.

If you junk the load shelf and top bar your pack should come in just over 8 lbs. At least that's what mine was in that configuration I've used both bags, and really like the Hunter bag for sheep hunting.

btw, welcome to the site. More than our share of Alaskans' here.

Yk

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
The high load is a simple fix. Just lower the bag on the frame. You can either use the lower set of holes which will lower the whole thing six inches (as done on the "bob" frame) or if that is too far, just drill new holes that split the difference. My day lowered his "hunter" bag about 3", and really likes it. The ease of customization is one of the perks of external frames.

There is zero reason for the load shelf on a sheep hunt. I mean, it's not needed to support the big bag, so why would you use it with the smaller one? Throw it in you "old gear" box and don't think about it again.

If you junk the load shelf and top bar your pack should come in just over 8 lbs. At least that's what mine was in that configuration I've used both bags, and really like the Hunter bag for sheep hunting.

btw, welcome to the site. More than our share of Alaskans' here.

Yk

Agreed. I'm on the same line of thought but didn't realize you could lower the bag down on the frame.

I only use the shelf for haulin meat, no intention of keeping it on.

Agreed. I'm on the same line of thought but didn't realize you could lower the bag down on the frame.

I only use the shelf for haulin meat, no intention of keeping it on.

I just measured my pack. Looks like the standard hole spacing is about 9.5". I was thinking it was 6" for some reason. If you used the lower set of holes, that might drop the load down further than you want. I didn't really have any problem with it at it's stock location, but my dad agrees with you and preferred it lower. A few minutes with the correct size drill bit fixed it up the way he likes it. Lowering the bag also lets the frame stabilize the collar when it fully extended with an overstuffed load.

I did switch to the larger size Pinnacle pack bag eventually, but really didn't care for the pocket system nearly as much as the Hunter bag and ended up doing quite a bit of cutting and sewing to simplify and and lighten it. The advantage to the bigger bag is basically that I almost never have to extend the collar and can keep the whole load pretty tight to the frame. Lowering the smaller bag basically gets you the same place unless you really overpack the thing.

Anyway, that's been my experience. With my customized bag and swapping in either a camptrails or dana aluminum frame, my Barneys runs just a fuzz over 7 lbs. Very good for the volume IMO.

Yk

Yk