Need Water Advice

I will be packing further, at higher elevations and for longer periods of time than anything I have ever done before. I will start at 6600' and work up to 10400 which will take roughly 8 hrs going up but I like to pad my estimates 50% so I wanna carry sufficient water for 12 hrs. Now normally I carry a single 2L hydration pack for a day trip and two of em for longer trips but being a weight weenie now I am thinking it is smarter to carry a single larger bladder. For you guys living outta your pack for a week or two at a time, what do you use? Is it smarter to carry a second bladder in case something happens to one of em? Once I get to the top I will have all the fresh water I need (alpine lake) but I've felt the desperation that accompanies that "sucking sound" when you drain the hydration bladder and know when climbing I go through far more water than usual. At the same time, it adds weight and weight makes climbing tougher. It seems smarter to carry more water and if I am getting near the top and struggling, can always dump some out to lighten the bag. But since I have no real life experience doing this and am a big, 235lb, 54 yr old guy...so will defer to your collective expertise in this area. I will be hiking solo and there are no water sources between point A and B that I know of. It will be around 70-85 degrees during the day (early June) and am debating the wisdom of buying a larger hydration bladder and/or carrying multiple bladders (but the hoses add weight). Thoughts?

InDeep

WKR
I personally carry a 3_l bladder and a platipus 30oz bottle .I tend to go through a lot of water as well when covering ascents as well! I don't carry a extra bladder but do leave one in the truck ! Good luck in you search

OR Archer

WKR
I run a 3L bladder as well. I also carry two small collapsible 1L Platypus pouches for camp water etc.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I pack a Katadyne Base Camp bladder for camp and carry a Hiker Pro for most trips.

Weekender

WKR
Hydrate well the day before you leave and a 2L might be enough 3L is plenty. Key is prior hydration.

I would hike in at night. I use way less water at night and stay cooler. It makes for an enjoyable faster hike in. I hate making those long climbs though the heat of the day if I can help it.

Or maybe do half at evening/night and then the other half in the morning.....

ridgefire

WKR
I can stretch a 3l source bladder to last a day if needed but typically go through two a day. I would say one 3l plus a water bottle for your gatorade or other powdered drink. Leave the camp bladder at home.

jwb300

WKR
I would say carry more than you think and in bottles and your bladder. If your bladder fails you have a back up. Uphill, warm and loaded pack - always suck more water than you think.

A lot of the places I hunt in Aus there is very little water. For a day I carry between 6-8l depending on the terrain, distances and temps. Chances are it wont rain so cant rely on that either. Sometimes it is just too hot to hunt in the day. Maybe travelling at night or morning/evening is the go but if it is thick bush or steep terrain I would be reluctant to do that.

You could also consider taking a few bottles and dropping them progressively on your track in. These are good because you know you have water on the path home so don't have to carry as much out. They can also be used as an emergency supply on the way in if you run out. That way you aren't ever too far from a drink.

Cheers,
JWB300

OP
Where's Bruce?
Hiking steep mountainsides in places I have never been before is challenging enough...doing it at night would probably result in a serious fall or injury. I don't mind walking trails at night, preferably when I'm with someone but solo? No thanks. Too many lions, pot grows and meth labs in CA. I just ordered a 3L bladder. Thanks gang!

bowinhand

WKR
When water sources are unknown I take a 3ltr bladder and 2ltr collapsible platypus both filled as full as I can get them along with my filter and backup tablets.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My motto on water is this: The more I drink, the lighter my pack gets.:D So, I have no problem taking extra water if I need it.

My problem is that a lot of times I'll plan a "quick" hunt (part morning or evening) into a spot and I don't completely fill my bladder or take extra. Those are the times when I put an animal down, and then get extremely dehydrated because I didn't bring enough. It's happened enough times that this has actually become one of my hunting strategies.........leave the water in camp to ensure I get an animal down.:cool:

Rizzy

WKR
I carry a full 3L plus an empty 1L and a half litter. I plan to move up to a 4L this season. I always leave the truck with a full bladder, even if I am hiking along a river or stream, it's more convenient and versatile. I don't want to spend time every hour filtering water into a bottle. The 1 liter is for extra capacity and the half liter is for drink mixes.
I can get through 2 days with 3L if I don't use water to cook with. This gets sketchy in July, but the rest of the year it works for me. Freeze dried meals take up a lot of your water supply to prepare and even more to digest all the sodium. If you bring foods that don't need to be cooked you can get a lot farther with your water.
I find myself camping on a dry ridge more often than not, and the last source of water is usually a seep or a lake about 1000 feet below :)

I'd go with the 3L bladder and a 1L Gatoraide or similar bottle. After pre hydrating I'd drink the Gatoraide first and then use that bottle to supplement if water is found in route. I'm not sure of the topography but if it's a 4 thousand foot grind in the final four miles there is no way I'd do that in the afternoon sun as I hate hiking in heat and bugs. I can understand not hiking off trail in the dark but I'd still plan my hike to not do a big climb in the afternoon heat.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I like my 4L Dromlite bag because I hunt in very high, very dry country. Since I use the Sawyer squeeze filter, I also have that 64oz dirty bag to pack more water. If I think it might be awhile without water, I just fill up the bag also for another half gallon. A backup bag to boot and I've got about 2.5 gallons of holding capacity for 7.6 total oz. It's a lot of piece of mind.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I'll likely take the 3L and 2L bladder as well as a Nalgene that I use for mixing up the electrolyte fizz tabs. I take the Base Camp because it doubles as a dry bag on the trip in and simplifies water access in camp. It's also faster than the Hiker Pro pump (not that you really have anything to worry about when drinking alpine lake water). I drink alot of water anyway and in the summer at elevation, i'm sure i'll be guzzling it. My personal feeling is if you aren't pissing regularly, you aren't taking in enough water. Once at the lake I can relax and going back is largely downhill...much easier. I usually start hitting the trail an hour before graylight. I give myself a lot of extra time so I can go slow and safe. Preventing injury is my #1 focus...the warranty on my back, joints and sense of coordination expired 4 yrs ago so I am cautious. Thanks for the insights, better to have it and not need it right? Will post up some pics when I can.

Didn't know you would be off trail and in an unknown area Bruce..... My bad.

One of the areas I hunt in August here in CA goes pretty much bone dry by the time the season starts and I carry two 3L Platypus BigZip bladders and a full Nalgene bottle. I have to conserve a bit but it will last me three days in there. Always have water back at the truck though and no more than a few miles in.

No matter the time of the year I also carry a few packs of pedialyte in my emergency kit just incase.

I carry a three liter for the hike in usually. I also have a 10 ltr dromday if I know water is going to be sparse. I pack water for my son and I for cooking and drinking he packs a 3 ltr also. Better to take more than not enough if it gets to be to much weight towards the top can always hydrate more and lighten the load that way.just my 2cts. Good luck