Need to replace siding on my house, advice wanted.

Whisky

WKR
Forget the fact that I'm a dumbass, but I've owned two houses, both with vinyl siding, and both have melted/warped siding in near proximity to outdoor cookers. I mean, that alone is reason enough to never buy vinyl.

I'm a no maintenance kind of guy. When I re-side it will be some sort of steel.

Jon Boy

WKR
I've push smart side on all of my builds thevlast couple of years. Always go with pre finished if you can, just one less step. It looks sharp and is easy to work with.
0cf89612b400ddc7d18cc8eef7edd9cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
Vinyl and steal are more expensive for insurance then LP or hardi are in my area. Might be a consideration.

I work alone and much prefer hanging LP/Diamond cote to hardi. Hardi can be finicky. Both great products. Diamond cote has flanged corners so no face nailing. Both must have proper flashing and spacing and don't go cheap on the caulking

CJF

WKR
Another possible option that I’ve done on a couple houses: if the existing siding is in decent shape (not falling down), you can stucco over it. It’s not a DIY job, but saves time and labor on taking the old siding down and possibly having to repair any wrap damaged in the process. This doesn’t look as good as smart siding, cement board, or steel but you’ll gain a ton of insulating value and your labor will be minimal to none.

In both cases when I did it the price ended up a wash for me considering my options. If you do t mind the look of stucco it’s worth having a couple Contractors give you a quote.

I’m sure I’ll get some hate on here for why this is a bad idea, but hey this is a hunting thread. My option gives you more time to practice shots and hunt.

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote to stay away from vinyl. We get a lot hail in SD (at least my part of the state) and it doesn't hold up.

I installed lp smartside on my previous house diy. It wasn't hard to do and saved a ton of money. I chipped away at it over a summer and was able to install all the siding and paint it in a couple of months.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

High5

FNG
Lots of good info posted here- I recommend LP Smartside but it is an engineered wood which means it it can burn but it is a lot easier and lighter to work with, especially if it’s a 2 story and you’ve got to haul the siding up scaffolding. Hardie is a cement fiber product which means it heavy, hard to cut and resistant but resistant to mold and won’t burn. LP costs a notch more than Hardie. Which ever product you use, use MiraTec trim and install it all primed and the paint it. It’ll look brand new. If you buy pre finished the product gets mark up in the delivery and installation. Then you have to get the colored caulking to match, touch up the nail holes and marks from installation. You don’t want vinyl, it’s trailer trash.

High5

FNG
For soffit and fascia I‘d recommend aluminum, it’s cheaper than LP and easier to install. I also recommend installing the S&F after the siding is installed and painted. If you’ve framed or worked in the trades you can easily accomplish the install, if not and you can afford to I’d hire it out. I wouldn’t want to learn on my own home.

Beendare

WKR
Something you might want to consider;

You can take this opportunity to greatly increase the efficiency of your home by adding Insulation and sealing penetrations. Essentially by adding insulation, Moisture barrier and weep behind the siding you can increase the efficiency of your home drastically. Add some floor and ceiling insulation at the same time and you practically have a passive house. I would.

Search for REMOTE Wall construction or Passive house design, heres a link from the cold climate research org
HERE

We are getting to the point of needing to replace our shingles, siding, soffit and fascia on our house. We plan to pay someone to replace our shingles. My question is, how tough is it to replace the siding on a house? Is it something that can be done DIY? If so what type of siding should I go with? My thought was vinyl but don't know if that is best. I live in South Dakota so we get cold and we get hot and humid. Any advice is appreciated. I am fairly handy, but not a rock star by any means.
There’s a lot to hardy siding that hasn’t been discussed in the first part of the thread. Maybe later. I don’t know. I didn’t read that far.

You must flash the seams of hardy. You must feel any gap with caulk. Over time, the caulk will change colors showing like Poca dots. The siding is very expensive. Unless your wall is very flat, the hardy will usually gap in places the wall bows in. Forcing you to finish mail the overlap. Forcing you to caulk it. Causing more Poca dotted caulk holes after a half decade.

You most certainly will need a helper as it will only stay together and not break unless you carry it laterally. If water gets behind it, it’s going to rot. It shouldn’t if installed properly. However, if it does, it’s ruined.

Vinyl gets a bad rap because people buy cheap vinyl siding. I’m not crazy about it. But, it’ll last as long or longer then anything else.

OP
C

CHSD

WKR
I appreciate all the information. I have a lot of information now to study up on and ask questions on! So thank you. Keep the tips coming if you've got some. They are appreciated.

I refuse to use Hardie because of silica... Plus it's just kinda a pain. But it's a great product.

If I was redoing my house, it would be SmartLap.

(full time carpenter)

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
We did LP smart side, pre-coated. I hate painting. Easy to install and a very durable product. It’s been about 3 years on the house and looks great and hasn’t faded a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firestone

WKR
LP would be my choice, get the gecko gauges and you will be fine doing it yourself. I like the two toned prefinished paint jobs by diamond kote or Northwest factory finishes.

Rokbar

WKR
I like the Hardi type material. I used the overlapping style. I wished I went with the 4x8 (9) or (10) sheets and put a batten strip at the joint. A lot less maintenance. I do like the sound of steel though.

dubllung4

FNG
I agree with the Smartside comments.

Also, not sure what size your house is or the layout but when we redid our house I saved a lot more money doing the roof by myself rather than the siding. Laying shingles is pretty easy.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I would do hardy myself, but LP is pretty close 2nd. Run a good house house wrap, then a rain screen, siding on top. The rain screen will add years to the life of the siding.

To the guys suggesting LP and then mentioning using the gecko gauges, does your LP not have the plastic lap things on the back of it? We installed LP (with the Diamond Kote finish) on our house a few years ago and it had a plastic fin on the back of it that sits on top of the board below.. No gauge needed.