Need to replace siding on my house, advice wanted.

CHSD

WKR
We are getting to the point of needing to replace our shingles, siding, soffit and fascia on our house. We plan to pay someone to replace our shingles. My question is, how tough is it to replace the siding on a house? Is it something that can be done DIY? If so what type of siding should I go with? My thought was vinyl but don't know if that is best. I live in South Dakota so we get cold and we get hot and humid. Any advice is appreciated. I am fairly handy, but not a rock star by any means.

I personally wouldn't put Vinyl on my house if you can afford something nicer, its cheap and you get what you pay for. I'd at least go with hardi plank, the pre painted stuff is actually fairly reasonable and it isn't too hard to install if you have the time, skills, and tools. A helper isn't required if you get some gecko gauges to hold the planks as you install, but having one helper would make it go faster/easier. Get the color matched caulk and you just have to paint trim. Hardi is kinda nasty to work with compared to wood but it's hard to beat, economically speaking

Geewhiz

WKR
I would recommend vertical seam edco(steel). Looks very nice and will last a lifetime. You need a pair of snips, pop rivet gun, an angle grinder with a cutting blade, and a pneumatic 1/4 crown stapler. If you have any kind of know how theres no reason you couldnt install it yourself.

Steel looks great and does last forever if you install it right. Especially the horizontal hidden fastener stuff. It's just gotten alot more expensive since covid, at least in the PNW where I'm at. It's harder to install too

I personally wouldn't put Vinyl on my house if you can afford something nicer, its cheap and you get what you pay for. I'd at least go with hardi plank, the pre painted stuff is actually fairly reasonable and it isn't too hard to install if you have the time, skills, and tools. A helper isn't required if you get some gecko gauges to hold the planks as you install, but having one helper would make it go faster/easier. Get the color matched caulk and you just have to paint trim. Hardi is kinda nasty to work with compared to wood but it's hard to beat, economically speaking
I did Hardy plank on my house a few years ago. With the gecko gauges and shears, it's an easy enough job.

Geewhiz

WKR
I like the LP Smartside. Engineered wood. You have the extra step of painting if you don't go with a standard color, but paint warranties are good and it's really easy to work with.
Top notch product as well. And Relatively easy to install.

Broomd

WKR
+1 on the above...LP Smartside, great product when installed properly, and Hardi, another fabulous product as well. Better overall, won't burn, virtually impervious to weather.

Yoder

WKR
I would go with vinyl siding. It's easy to install and not too expensive and you never have to paint anything. It will also last forever if it's installed correctly and you don't shoot it with airsoft or grill next to it. It will fade in the sun. I used to install siding when I was a teenager. It wasn't very hard. Even soffits and fascia are pretty easy. Biggest thing will be to get a scaffolding. We had pump jacks with aluminum picks and it went up quick. It's almost impossible to install with a ladder. If it's a single story you could get away with step ladders and planks. I would check out some actual experts on youtube and see if you think it's something you can do. It's really similar to installing plank flooring.

def90

WKR
If you are needing to replace eaves and siding your house is probably f'ed as in flashing is bad and who else knows what is messed up underneath. If you don't properly address those issues your new siding will be hosed before it's time as well.

Not to be a dick but seeing that you are on here asking if it can be done DIY I am assuming that your knowledge of construction is fairly limited. You might want to remove some siding and eave material in some of the worst areas and have a consultant look at what you have going on

I like the LP Smartside. Engineered wood. You have the extra step of painting if you don't go with a standard color, but paint warranties are good and it's really easy to work with.
I actually like that stuff too, I put it on my own home since it's a floating home to save weight

Attachments

• 20230323_125212.jpg
    20230323_125212.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 99
OP
C

CHSD

WKR
I appreciate the insight as to what material I should use. Sounds like I will stay away from vinyl.

I did vinyl siding on my first house myself, not hard for a beginner with mid-level craftsmanship.
Used a 'Dutch double lap' style, the extra bends in it, get more rigidity and depth for appearance.
Looked good, I made a lot of money when I sold the house.

There's plenty of choices for products now.
You'll probably want to do the soffits first, maybe aluminum trim the windows too, before hand.
Then it's easy, 'J trim' around windows, doors, the soffits get a special 'J' strip that requires a crimp tool for a clean look. Put a starter strip in at bottom, and it goes together like Legos. Look it up on YouTube.

Just remember you are 'Hanging' siding -not 'Nailing it down'. Difference is, thermal expansion will buckle the siding, if it has no where to go. The nails should stop short of - all the way in, so it can slide.

Blake_08

FNG
We have steel siding, soffit, fascia, and roof on our barndominium house. No paint or maintenance and should last a lifetime. To me, it looks very nice, but I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Been in my house for 27 years. Only had to replace small bits of Hardie Plank down around some thick shrubs beneath some windows. Good stuff and not hard to replace at all. I add a new coat of paint about every 6-8 years but only to make the house look good. This stuff last forever!