Need some help picking a spotting scope

So I've been doing an obsessive amount of research on spotting scopes. My wife is beginning to think it is actually some sort of affair. After much internal debate I'm going to pay some legit money for a spotter, so here is where I have landed.

Swaro ATS 65mm
Kowa 773
Leica 65 Televid

I have read every review that I can find and much of the best information came from S&S Archery. I am looking for something that I can pack easily and will not leave me feeling that I should have bought the other one. My initial reaction was that Swarovski was the way to go, but after some sleuthing I think that may be my more expensive option (by about $600), new.

Just interested in some feedback. Thanks

handwerk

WKR
I have been around all three scopes and feel that optically they are very close to equal, so i would check them out in person if you can and see which has functions that appeal to you...for me I went with the swaro.

OP
sqdougherty
I have been around all three scopes and feel that optically they are very close to equal, so i would check them out in person if you can and see which has functions that appeal to you...for me I went with the swaro.
I'm working on that. I have plans for next weekend to look at the Kowa and Leica. The only one that I have been around at all is the Swaro. Others that I have personally looked through would be Maven, Zeiss and Vortex.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought the 77 Kowa. Reason--cheaper, bigger objective and more magnification. It's a great view but, I find I don't use 60x all that much. Wish I could compare the Kowa with a Swarovski with the wide angle eye piece

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I picked up a demo unit Swaro sts 65mm for a great deal from Europtics they have them in now . Midway USA also has great demo deals. I couldn’t tell it was anything other than new

tdhanses

WKR
I bought the 77 Kowa. Reason--cheaper, bigger objective and more magnification. It's a great view but, I find I don't use 60x all that much. Wish I could compare the Kowa with a Swarovski with the wide angle eye piece

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I had the 80mm Swarovski hd with wa, you are not missing out. Now I have a Kowa 553 and 773. Zero regret selling the swaro.

DavePwns

WKR
The kowa will serve you well for a do it all spotter, I was in a simular situation and have decided on saving up for the 85 ATX simply because it's only 7 oz heavier than the 773 kowa with the TE-11 eyepiece AND can swap into BTX which will be very helpful for me during mule deer scouting season. I don't plan on getting the 65 or 95, I'll use the 85 for all my backpack hunts and day hunts

I had the Kowa 773 and now have a Swaro ATX 65 that was too good of a deal to pass up. Other than the compactness of the ATX I dont think its enough of an improvement if any to justify the cost increase but we’ll see with more time. I prefer the dual focus of the kowa over the swaro setup but I feel the atx eyepiece is more comfortable. I havent owned an ATS but I also looked at the ATS and I dont think its better than the 773 at all even if they were priced the same.

If the ATX doesnt impress me after awhile then I’ll be going back to the Kowa.

Last edited:
Let us know what you decide on your choice of spotting scope I’ve been doing a lot of research on the Swarovski Ats as well and can’t make my mind up either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk