Need newer arrows?

Jon S

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a Hoyt defiant pro, shooting 54 lbs or so. Have been shooting beman ics hunter 340 spine and then found Cabelas branded of the same. Shooting 100 grain muzzy broad heads well.
I’m down to 6-8 arrows and want to practice more and having arrows is helpful.
I’ve seen the Easton 6.5 hunter, wondering if there’s something better, is there a color or wrap that shows up better in Colorado grass and mountains? What color fletching should I look for?
I’ve lost a couple, broken a couple and it’s time for more.
What am I missing or not knowing to ask?
Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
Easton 6.5s are ICS’s with a different graphic. Between 6.5s and gold tip hunters, I don’t think you can go wrong. I’ve gone down the rabbit hole on every arrow system there is, and a standard diameter shaft with a brass insert is all anyone that’s bow hunting or shooting 3D needs. The group of guys I hunt with have collectively killed truck beds full of game with the aforementioned shafts.

Buy more tags, donate more to conservation and spend less on over priced (and arguably inferior) gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like your current arrows, you could build copies of them with Easton 6.5 shafts...they have the same gpi and diameter as Beman ICS Hunters. Figure out how heavy the insert in your Bemans is (weigh, measure and do the math if you don't know offhand) and choose a new insert accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac
A neon pink wrap and fletchings stand out really well. Not a whole lot in nature that color, so it should stand out.

Attachments

• 20240202_165533.jpg
    20240202_165533.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 9

thayerp81

FNG
I know a lot of folks love gold tips and Victory arrows, but I just cant support a company making their products overseas when there's an American-made option that's certainly equal and arguably even better. I'm set on Easton for that reason. I also love that you don't have to fool around with the spine alignment as all their arrows are seamless.

If you don't want/ need a micro diameter arrow it's going to be hard to beat the 6.5 hunter or Sonic 6.0 for value.

nphunter

WKR
If you buy new arrows get 400 spines at 54lbs. White shows up the best for me, I’m also color blind so reds, pinks and orange disappear in the grass. Blue and white stand out the most to me.

thayerp81

FNG
You must be using a different FMJ than me, because carbon fiber doesn't bend.
FMJ is a carbon core with an aluminum jacket, hence the FMJ (full metal jacket) designation. They're well documented to be prone to bending when not pulled straight from stiff foam targets and more tragically, if you take a fall in the field and land on the quiver.

mi650

WKR
FMJ is a carbon core with an aluminum jacket, hence the FMJ (full metal jacket) designation. They're well documented to be prone to bending when not pulled straight from stiff foam targets and more tragically, if you take a fall in the field and land on the quiver.
I'm well aware of what they are, been using them for years both with my crossbow and bows before that. Conservatively, I've killed 50 deer with them, never had 1 bend. I've easily shot 1000 times into targets, both 3-D and bag, never had 1 bend. I don't even bother to check for straightness anymore after shooting a deer. They always are.

Granted, I have had 2 get broken, both on quartering away shots where I solidly hit the offside shoulder and didn't get a pass thru. There were broken by the bucks running off and snapping them with the near side leg. My wife made pens out of them for me.

Sounds like more 'internet lore' to me. Do any other carbon arrows bend? No? Then why would FMJs? That thin aluminum jacket is no where near thick enough to hold the carbon fiber in a bent shape.

1 last thing: I've found them pretty hard to come by for the last few years, particularly x-bow bolts. Would that be because they're junk, or because Easton figured out people were reusing them multiple times they weren't able to sell as many? Simply, Easton made a great product. But it was so great, there was no long-term profit in it.

mi650

WKR
What about aluminum?
Sure aluminum bends, and breaks. That's why I stopped using XX78s years ago.

If you can't see the advantages of a CF tube wrapped in aluminum, then I have nothing else to say. Go ahead and believe whatever someone wrote on the internet (yes, I see the irony) and we'll have to agree to disagree.

My personnel experience means a whole lot more to me than some internet lore. I have a bolt that I've used to kill at least 6 deer, so the couple dozen I have is likely a lifetime supply.

I'm out.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Like everyone says the Easton 6.5s are the same arrow as your shooting now. I had shot them for years and killed a lot of deer with them. I’ve moved to the 5mm Axis and love them too. If your setup is good and you like it, why change it?

If you can't see the advantages of a CF tube wrapped in aluminum, then I have nothing else to say. Go ahead and believe whatever someone wrote on the internet (yes, I see the irony) and we'll have to agree to disagree.

My personnel experience means a whole lot more to me than some internet lore. I have a bolt that I've used to kill at least 6 deer, so the couple dozen I have is likely a lifetime supply.

I'm out.
Ive shot them for years and never bent one either.....shhhhh.

Marble

WKR

I'm out.
After you have shot them for awhile, put them on a spinner and check them.

I agree with you that they are a great arrow. But after going through this with my wife and son, no more FMJs.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
FMJ has a purpose. It is by far the most consistent hunting shaft on the market. There isn’t the variability from shaft to shaft that there is with carbon. Also no need to turn nocks. They are perfect for the guy that has a dedicated hunting rig, or for someone that begins shooting a week before season. They are pretty much plug and play. Obviously they don’t stand up to continued abuse, or rigorous target work.