Need help fast- rain gear

FURMAN

WKR
I just received my Sitka Cloudburst and decided to give it a shower test. It failed miserably. I was soaked within 3-4 minutes. Am I expecting to much from breathable rain gear? Do you guys have any recommendations? The most important thing to me is being dry. The clothing must also be durable. I am down to 3 weeks until my hunt. Thanks in advance.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Just got off the phone with Sitka and they are checking to see what may have happened. They said this was definitely not normal. I wouldn't be as worried if this were one piece but the pants and jacket both leaked(not at the seams). I am going to try again tomorrow. I would love to hear some back up options. Kuiu has not had my size Chugach for some time.

KMT

WKR
I bought some rain gear last year from another well known camo clothing maker and it proved worthless. This year, I'm going to use my REI Kimtah jacket, which is tough, light, waterproof, and breathable. It has withstood hours of rain with no problems. For pants, I use mountain hardware. They are also waterproof. In Colorado, I don't get rained on often, so I will sacrifice camo rainwear and use something that is will actually keep me dry when I need it to do so. The kimtah jacket is cut with an athletic fit so you won't be "swimming" in it.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I appreciate the info. I will keep everyone posted. I have looked at the Kimtah and am still considering it. How to you like the MT-050?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
No rain gear has been that durable for me! High end or not. I keep going back to space rain. Not super durable or breathable, but it will keep you dry. Plus it cheap!

mtmiller

WKR
I haven't tried my rain gear in the shower, but it kept me happy last week while fishing. Just the top in this shot, but had the bottoms on later in the day. I did some hiking further up the mountain with both componenets. Got a little sweaty, but not bad for rain gear.

KUIU Chugach

25.jpg

I haven't tried my rain gear in the shower, but it kept me happy last week while fishing. Just the top in this shot, but had the bottoms on later in the day. I did some hiking further up the mountain with both componenets. Got a little sweaty, but not bad for rain gear.

KUIU Chugach

25.jpg

a little off topic but man your dog looks fit! hate seeing so many fat labs...

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Quick update. After speaking with Cory at Sitka I dried the clothes and tried again with the water as cold as it would go. The jacket worked great. The pants still leak around a seam and/or zipper. I will test them again. Cory told me that when the temp and/or humidity outside was higher than the inside of the garment it was going to leak. That is just how the breathable garments work. It makes sense to me. I must have had the water too warm the first time. I am still concerned about the pants. Either way I am impressed with the customer service. At least they care.

Zippers are always going to be a weak spot IMO. Nearly impossible to completely waterproof them, although some of the latest versions are pretty good. I just assume that's the price I pay for being able to put them on over boots. I actually had some Marmot Precip pants once that had regular (non waterproof) side zips without even a storm flap. They didn't even TRY and be waterproof. Not a good situation! If the leak is a seam, some thin sealer should fix you up.

And yeah, it makes sense that W/B fabrics will "breath" the wrong direction if the heat or humidity gets too high on the outside.

Yk

Lawnboi

WKR
If your really worried you could try kuiu...I have the chugach and am very happy with the set. You will have a very hard time finding a bad review on the kuiu.

And imo if I paid the dollar for the sitka and it didn't work, I'd send it back. Not putting down sitka as I do like and own a good handful of their stuff. Bit for the price we pay for high end clothing, it better work 100%

jmez

WKR
I love the MTO 50 but it is too heavy for Bivy back country hunting. They have a new line out this year that is more of an athletic type cut/style that is supposed to be nice.

I have had mine for over 10 years now, it hasn't faded, torn, or leaked. I went on a 14 day moose hunt in Alaska a few years ago and it rained for 14 days straight. The sun was out for 42 minutes the entire trip, I timed it. The stuff never leaked. I don't know if others have had as good of luck as I have but I have never had mine leak. Hands down the best rain gear I have ever owned.

It is very quiet and has a low knap fabric, because of this it also gets heavy when wet.

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
That makes sense to me too, the only thing that would concern me is I did the same test with my Chugach with the warm water on, and I did not have any leakage. I know you can't buy the Chugach because of their inventory. Maybe this just means that the Sitka is more breathable than the KUIU.

Quick update. After speaking with Cory at Sitka I dried the clothes and tried again with the water as cold as it would go. The jacket worked great. The pants still leak around a seam and/or zipper. I will test them again. Cory told me that when the temp and/or humidity outside was higher than the inside of the garment it was going to leak. That is just how the breathable garments work. It makes sense to me. I must have had the water too warm the first time. I am still concerned about the pants. Either way I am impressed with the customer service. At least they care.

dotman

WKR
Did you look at the Kuiu closeout, vias, olive and frost gray? Yeah I know not all camo but they only have M and XL now I guess.