Nebraska's killing off their elk herd?

OP
F
I honestly think if it's been an issue for the farmers for some time they should have located where these animals were at in January and harvested them then. I have access to a good chunk in the area but the elk are there sometimes. Sometimes in July, sometimes August. So it's not worth it for me to make the drive to very likely not see anything.

Knee high by the 4th of July used to be a phrase I heard often as a kid, but anymore that corn is darn near tasseled out by the 4th. I wonder how successful the hunts will be and if the corn will be able to hide the elk?

I wish the "Nebraska elk task force" would push for use of spears . I was thinking about selling my house, quitting my job and moving my family there, but spears being illegal was a real 'deal-breaker' for me. Lol

This is an asinine approach to management. Tell me how this is management and not eradication? The hunting season runs July 1-31. I don't know if ya'll have been to Nebraska in July but I don't how you won't have a ton of wasted meat. This shouldn't be an either sex hunt!

Actually this is the very definition of wildlife management; eradication can be the essence of a management program.

It all depends on the species, the time and the place.

ClearCreek

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
So I can't find deer, along the north/south platte rivers, along with the pasture or CRP fields in this area? Once harvest is over, this 500,000+ acre area is completely devoid of big game, but they come back in June when the corn starts to grow again? I get what you are saying, but I think it's silly to think these guys aren't going to be charging people money to take care of their problem.
What's wrong with that? You don't own land?

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
If the landowners charge money to hunt elk in this area, then we probably don't need to have a special unlimited season. Do you get to bill an exterminator who removes rodents from your property?
If I could get them to pay me $15,000 for the pleasure I sure would.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
https://omaha.com/news/state-and-re...cle_38189ee4-f33b-11ec-bec0-634b3e597c09.html

This article is as good of perspective as any I have seen penned on the situation.

Emotion and controversy packed issue for sure. I have hunted elk in 6 western states. The circumstances in these few Nebraska counties feels different to any that I have heard/read/experienced before.

I have listened to a lot of talk and felt both sides of the issue for several years. I am very close to Nebraska landowners and land managers who have experienced first hand crop depredation from elk. Truly causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost income. I have heard the emotions coming directly out of the public meetings.

As a Nebraska resident hunter I think I have applied for an elk tag since the first year they were available (1986), never have yet drawn my OIL bull tag. Blessed to hunt on ground that has elk though. Crazy exciting to find huge sheds while sneaking muledeer, or have a 350+ bull walk right under your stand while whitetail hunting. Like all resident hunters I sure would like put a tag in my pocket, but mostly I just like being around elk and I want them in my state.

As stated in the above article there are only a small number of animals in the problem area, "25 to 30". However, when tags had been issued for the regular hunting seasons during previous years, very few animals were(reportedly) harvested from the problem area. Not sure how successful this July "hunt" will be. I have been asked to participate, but I am not sure I want to.

In the end, I hope the depredation hunt meets the prescribed goals for the landowners sake. However, I hope that success does not boil over into other areas of the state, resulting in further eradication areas in coming years.

I am torn and you can probably point your "Not in my backyard" finger at me.

Complex issue with a lot of uncertain reprocussions.

willy

FNG
I did the same.
I bought one of those lion tags. Had no intention of even shooting one if I saw it but thought it was cool to have the tag. Kind of like buying a duck stamp for someone who doesn't hunt waterfowl I guess. Chambers was/is a tool.

OP
F
I saw that the G&P released a statement saying the landowners have all the hunters they can sustain. They are now only taking applications in person at the North Platte office.

OP
F
So far zero kills according to the game and parks. One shot on a big bull but apparently the hunter tried shooting through the corn and didn’t connect.