Nebraska's killing off their elk herd?

I'll be calling a few guys tomorrow to see if I can tag a cow out there or better yet get my son one. Like others have said, it's a whole lot of cornfields and cropland. They elk don't move extremely far, but when crops come out they do move. The problem is they set up shop in fields and wreck lots of standing corn during the year.

The good news is while they are either sex tags (because they want elk gone) according to the website tag holders cannot retain antlers. They must turn the antlers over to the game and parks.

OP
F
Why not? Lot of critters have been killed that way.
4baceea568b42bc5e4f56186f499c687.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Contact Josh Bowmar for tips.

I'll be calling a few guys tomorrow to see if I can tag a cow out there or better yet get my son one. Like others have said, it's a whole lot of cornfields and cropland. They elk don't move extremely far, but when crops come out they do move. The problem is they set up shop in fields and wreck lots of standing corn during the year.

The good news is while they are either sex tags (because they want elk gone) according to the website tag holders cannot retain antlers. They must turn the antlers over to the game and parks.
Hope you find some access and your son gets a cow! My biggest gripe with this whole season is how poorly it looks to the general public. If I read in the news that they did a depredation hunt out there and filled a crap ton of youth cow/calf tags, I wouldn't even blink and eye vs. the free for all they set up.

Hope you find some access and your son gets a cow! My biggest gripe with this whole season is how poorly it looks to the general public. If I read in the news that they did a depredation hunt out there and filled a crap ton of youth cow/calf tags, I wouldn't even blink and eye vs. the free for all they set up.
Agreed,

Ever since our lovely state senator Eardman and his buddies pushed hard on the game and parks to institute new depredation permits it's been a bit of a shit show.

When they post an area that large and say "unlimited either sex tags" it looks really bad. 5 min and they could have explained the elk numbers and that in this area the goal is really 0 elk due to the lack of suitable habitat.

Unfortunately they did a pretty standard press release and if your not from the area or have good knowledge of it you're going "WTF" is going on!!!

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Contact Josh Bowmar for tips.
So I take it you're opposed to bowhunting as well? Running a sharp pointy stick through the lungs is, well, running a pointy stick through the lungs whether with a bow or something like an atlatl.

I'd be willing to bet the spear reg is a nod to native tribe members and. I know I could go up to OK and hunt deer with an atlatl legally as long as I'm within the 10.5 counties of the Choctaw Nation. I don't because I'm no where near that good of a hunter. Heck, I use a bow with wheels and fancy gadgets on it. The Aztecs had atlatl spears that could penetrate Spanish armor, so I bet an elk is doable! All that said, anyone fortunate ebough to get landowner access to harvest elk is probably not going the spear route.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TSAMP

WKR
Do you guys think it'd be ok to say "Harvested" when you killed the elk here? Just in this special hunt I mean. Not like in a real hunting situation.

It appears they are trying to haze the elk in some specific areas. KY did something similar a couple years after they were reintroduced there..granted they did a little better on the PR...IIRC the elk biologist for state said "the goal here is the to get these elk to move somewhere else were they are not a problem. The dumb ones will end up in the freezer and the smart ones will move somewhere else."

swNEhunter

Lil-Rokslider
They really opened up a can of worms by allowing non-residents to be able to get the tag. Non-residents can't hunt the regular season, so why let them in on this? It seems like they decided to turn it into a money grab at the last second. Unfortunately, they don't know how to do that as good as some of the other western states. I feel sorry for the landowners getting hundreds of phone calls per day this week.

sndmn11

WKR
Do you guys think it'd be ok to say "Harvested" when you killed the elk here? Just in this special hunt I mean. Not like in a real hunting situation.
Archery elk in an ungrown field sounds like a losing but fun proposition. I surely would be excited and proud as heck to sneakysneak up on one without cover or rut help.

KurtR

WKR
They really opened up a can of worms by allowing non-residents to be able to get the tag. Non-residents can't hunt the regular season, so why let them in on this? It seems like they decided to turn it into a money grab at the last second. Unfortunately, they don't know how to do that as good as some of the other western states. I feel sorry for the landowners getting hundreds of phone calls per day this week.
Ya i bet there really cashing in on those high priced 20 and 40 dollar tags......

Laramie

WKR
Archery elk in an ungrown field sounds like a losing but fun proposition. I surely would be excited and proud as heck to sneakysneak up on one without cover or rut help.
The corn in Nebraska is actually tall enough to hide a crawling hunter pretty well right now. Archery would be pretty doable but the nature of this hunt makes me think there won't be anyone out with a bow.

Ya i bet there really cashing in on those high priced 20 and 40 dollar tags......

It's a mind trick. . . It's only $20 for a resident and $40 for a non resident. . . In willing to bet you a fair number of people bought a tag before they started calling to find permission or get details because it was so cheap!

Nebraska game and parks used to have a great money maker in a state wide mountain lion tag. Knew tons of people that bought that tag with no knowledge of a cat near their deer hunting area, but for $15 why not! Then Ernie Chambers ruined a good thing.

Laramie

WKR
It's a mind trick. . . It's only $20 for a resident and $40 for a non resident. . . In willing to bet you a fair number of people bought a tag before they started calling to find permission or get details because it was so cheap!

Nebraska game and parks used to have a great money maker in a state wide mountain lion tag. Knew tons of people that bought that tag with no knowledge of a cat near their deer hunting area, but for $15 why not! Then Ernie Chambers ruined a good thing.
I bought one of those lion tags. Had no intention of even shooting one if I saw it but thought it was cool to have the tag. Kind of like buying a duck stamp for someone who doesn't hunt waterfowl I guess. Chambers was/is a tool.