National Forest Camping Ethics

Nah man, it’s a D bag move. Just cause it’s 2023 and a ton of people only care about themselves and couldn’t care less about being a D bag to someone else doesn’t mean yah just give in and partake. No need to act like some self absorbed jerk from Chicago just cause a bunch of other people are doing it, be the better man.

When I am in this type of situation I find it useful to switch the positions.

If you showed up to your preferred camp spot and a camp was set up but unattended for a week while you were there, how would you feel about the unoccupied tent in your preferred spot?
That's what I keep coming back to. But if the camp site isn't illegal, what right do I have to be upset?

For what it's worth, it's a "wall" tent setup off the beaten path. Never got into the wheeled camp lifestyle. So essentially a tent and some water jugs....does that change anyone's opinion?

For what it's worth, it's a "wall" tent setup off the beaten path. Never got into the wheeled camp lifestyle. So essentially a tent and some water jugs....does that change anyone's opinion?
Where I camp, I wouldn’t leave my wall tent unsupervised for more than a day or two. They “walk” off pretty frequently.

If it's off the beaten path, why would you need to "stake your claim" to the spot?

While I don't really have too much of an opinion on whether it's poor taste or not, I'm more curious on why you would want to set up camp a week before you'll be back to hunt.

If it's off the beaten path, why would you need to "stake your claim" to the spot?

While I don't really have too much of an opinion on whether it's poor taste or not, I'm more curious on why you would want to set up camp a week before you'll be back to hunt.
If I setup camp early, its one less thing to have to worry about having to do when I go back out...just the way my brain works. "Make hay when the sun shines" is basically a life long theme....

Sounds like the rule needs to re-written: "14 days for the purpose of hunting, fishing, trapping, camping or other outdoor activities... Abandonment assumed if not spike camping or after 4 unoccupied days" (say)...

I once came across a great campsite along a river way up in the boonies on western Virginia public land. It had just been weed-whacked and was golden... Middle off the week in April or May. I started to unload and here comes Zebediah to let me know he had plans to trout fish or turkey hunt or just party out of that site. (I can't remember the exact timing.)

I said OK, good luck and moved a ways upstream. No harm no foul, and he had put a good bit of effort into making that site near-perfect.

If I setup camp early, its one less thing to have to worry about having to do when I go back out...just the way my brain works. "Make hay when the sun shines" is basically a life long theme....
Personally, I don't agree with setting up camps to leave unattended for the sake of staking a plot. Base camps with spike camping makes sense to me, but setting up before I plan to be in the woods doesn't. If it's a long way from the road, it just makes twice the hiking distance to set up early. If it's not a long ways, you'r not really saving much time/work anyways. No matter the reason, you're also setting yourself up for more of an opportunity to get items stolen/vandalized. Not really too many positives with a whole lot of negatives in my mind.

However, if you're following the law, it doesn't really matter what people think.

Meh. I personally wouldn't sweat it. The vast number of residents I know do it regularly. If they get "tagged", they move the required distance. Forest service will only tag campers because no way to identify a specific wall tent. Pretty rare any of the guys I know get tagged... maybe once every 3 to 4 years.

Personally I wouldn't do it, not from the ethical standpoint of it, but because of the, OH crap all my stuff is gone standpoint. I don't trust people enough to leave my gear unguarded for a minute leave alone a week. Actually I don't trust anyone regardless of time period.

Where are you hunting that you feel that you need to claim a camp site a week in advance? Sounds like a crowded area?

That's what I keep coming back to. But if the camp site isn't illegal, what right do I have to be upset?

You don’t have a legal right to complain doesn’t mean it isn’t upsetting to most everyone in the same situation.

If the trend becomes reserving spots via unattended camps you have 2 choices. Play the game or find an area that isn’t a part of the game.

If it was me, I would look at finding an area where I don’t have to play the game, if that is possible. If that isn’t an option, I play the game within the rules without apology.

I would prefer a game where people only put up camps when attended but I’m not in charge.

I think it is poor form. But hell, I get annoyed with people who send one person early to church on Christmas so they can save an entire row for 18 people to show up 3 minutes late…

I find it poor taste to setup early to “save your spot” on public land unaccompanied till the time serves you best. To the question above about spike camping is irrelevant because you still need a spot to come back to. When I lived in UT the camper caravans were everywhere. Never once saw one of those folks while in the woods hunting though…

Sounds like the rule needs to re-written: "14 days for the purpose of hunting, fishing, trapping, camping or other outdoor activities... Abandonment assumed if not spike camping or after 4 unoccupied days" (say)...

I once came across a great campsite along a river way up in the boonies on western Virginia public land. It had just been weed-whacked and was golden... Middle off the week in April or May. I started to unload and here comes Zebediah to let me know he had plans to trout fish or turkey hunt or just party out of that site. (I can't remember the exact timing.)

I said OK, good luck and moved a ways upstream. No harm no foul, and he had put a good bit of effort into making that site near-perfect.
I've always felt like the 14 days was more to prevent people from trying to live there... Not for outdoorsmen.

Back