National Forest Camping Ethics

explain the thinking on this for me. what is the point of setting camp ..... if you're intending to camp in the woods, then what do you need a second setup for ...... keep in mind my thinking only applies to 1-2 people.

As mentioned in a previous post, it's nice to return to a complete camp setup in inclement weather, after spending a week and a half or two weeks at a remote, off the grid spike camp, especially if it's late at night.

CorbLand

WKR
It's hard to imagine you don't know the difference.
Explain it to me…because if the whole purpose of not setting it up early is because you take a spot from someone else, then there is no difference.

If your spiking out…leave it all in your pickup and set it up when you get back.

CorbLand

WKR
explain the thinking on this for me. what is the point of setting camp then going to a hotel for a few nights? if you have a camp, why not just camp and save the money?
why not just show up 2 days prior, set camp, get acclimated and go hunt? same thinking applies to spike camping. if you're intending to camp in the woods, then what do you need a second setup for? your resupply can be in the vehicle. how much crap are you guys bringing lol. keep in mind my thinking only applies to 1-2 people.
In the context of this thread, op is going to go scout the weekend before opening day and then go work for the week then go back opening day. He asked what people opinions of him leaving his camp for that week was. I posed the question how is leaving your camp up to go back to town any different than leaving your camp to spike camp?

According to some, there is apparently a difference but I fail to see it.

For all the guys saying it’s a dbag move or the like. What’s your opinion of guys that set up a camp and then spike camp out?

I think the point they're trying to make, is that we're douche bags no matter what. We're douche bags if we're not there and we're douche bags if we're there. Doesn't matter, because we're just douche bags. Bottom line is that douche bags are not allowed to have a preference, because camp locations are only reserved for those who aren't douche bags.

OP
archeryisking
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

But the family that was going to camp there Mon-Wed probably won't agree.
Fair enough. I doubt where I'm proposing on setting up my camp is family friendly but your point is well taken....

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Dumb question. You're preventing someone else from using a camp site while you're not even there. If you want to hold a camp site, camp in it. If you're not camping then F off and leave the spot for someone who is camping.

I agree, there's no real difference other than one being a part of hunting and the other being staking claim before its time. I always felt 2 days prior is reasonable, that gives people time to get out there but blocks the guys who aren't serious.
other than that, I personally never understood needing a main camp to come back to. to me, you should be able to handle the backcountry if you're going out. if I'm to the point where I need to come out then I'm either moving spots or am so beat up that a different tent is not going to help me lol. like I said, if its a group of guys that different.

it sounds like the spot in question is one that sees little use, so in that regard it probably doesn't matter if camp is there early. I think guys are just tired of having to fight to hunt an area.

svivian

WKR
I personally never understood needing a main camp to come back to. to me, you should be able to handle the backcountry if you're going out. if I'm to the point where I need to come out then I'm either moving spots or am so beat up that a different tent is not going to help me lol.
Being able to handle the back country has nothing to do with spike camping

Swamp Fox

WKR
Explain it to me…because if the whole purpose of not setting it up early is because you take a spot from someone else, then there is no difference.

If your spiking out…leave it all in your pickup and set it up when you get back.
Spike camping isn't taking a spot from someone else. It's just a different method of camping.

In spike camping, one is engaged in an outdoor activity the system is made to support, is mandated to manage, is required to distribute resources equitably, and relies on for results (kills, revenue). ---Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc.

In setting up camp and leaving for town, one is tossing hunting, fishing, trapping and tip-toeing through the tulips in favor of shacking up with one's girlfriend or playing video games with one's bros because none of the ones *have* girlfriends. :)

Set up camp and go back to town? You are no longer part of the resource/management equation.

You're just taking up space, literally.

That is not what the shared resource was designed for, nor is it capable of sustaining in the face of growing populations and increased pressure.

svivian

WKR
Got it. Thanks for the definition. Much appreciated. So, if I setup a spike camp in a remote basin and leave it for a while, I'm golden.
Yeah forget about the base camp at the trail head that’s not taking up any space since you are in the act of an outdoor activity

CorbLand

WKR
Spike camping isn't taking a spot from someone else. It's just a different method of camping.

In spike camping, one is engaged in an outdoor activity the system is made to support, is mandated to manage, is required to distribute resources equitably, and relies on for results (kills, revenue). ---Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc.

In setting up camp and leaving for town, one is tossing hunting, fishing, trapping and tip-toeing through the tulips in favor of shacking up with one's girlfriend or playing video games with one's bros because none of the ones *have* girlfriends. :)

Set up camp and go back to town? You are no longer part of the resource/management equation.

You're just taking up space, literally.

That is not what the shared resource was designed for, nor is it capable of sustaining in the face of growing populations and increased pressure.
I am not asking about the spike camp. I am asking about the main camp back by the road.

If I drive down a road, throw camp up in a camping spot and hike into with camp on my back, leaving the camp set up next to the road. How is that any different than setting up the camp next to the road and driving back to town?

That is what I am asking.

Swamp Fox

WKR
I am not asking about the spike camp. I am asking about the main camp back by the road.

If I drive down a road, throw camp up in a camping spot and hike into with camp on my back, leaving the camp set up next to the road. How is that any different than setting up the camp next to the road and driving back to town?

That is what I am asking.
One scenario advances the outdoor activity (management plan)---hunting, say--- and one does not.

Not sure what is so difficult about this.

Yeah forget about the base camp at the trail head that’s not taking up any space since you are in the act of an outdoor activity
Yep, I'm engaged in some sort of outdoor activity, anyway, way out there at the spike camp, away from main camp.

I mean, might be gaming or watching TikTok challenges, or viewing YouTube tutorials on my phone while I'm out there, via SAT link off my Delorme. Or, maybe I could be flailing away on a colleague's fiance.

But, at least I'm engaged in an out-of-doors activity and therefore, neither my base camp or my spike camp is taking space away from anyone.

Who would of thought?!!

Being able to handle the back country has nothing to do with spike camping
I beg to differ. if you need to set up a camp that gives you all the amenities of home then you are not built for the wilderness. I see no point in needing to come from a camp to a different camp to recover from camping lol. I'm only giving my perspective and why I don't understand it, everyone has their reasons and ideas and that's ok.
like I said, if it's time for me to come out of the woods, I certainly don't want to go into a different tent or have to set up or take down an additional tent. I believe you should be equipped and able to handle what nature brings without the addition of a second home. of course, none of this has to do with the OP and what he was asking.

svivian

WKR
I beg to differ. if you need to set up a camp that gives you all the amenities of home then you are not built for the wilderness. I see no point in needing to come from a camp to a different camp to recover from camping lol. I'm only giving my perspective and why I don't understand it, everyone has their reasons and ideas and that's ok.
like I said, if it's time for me to come out of the woods, I certainly don't want to go into a different tent or have to set up or take down an additional tent. I believe you should be equipped and able to handle what nature brings without the addition of a second home. of course, none of this has to do with the OP and what he was asking.
Then you have no understanding of a true spike camp.