Nalgene with straw?

So apparently the hydration bladder I bought that lasted 3 years was a unicorn, because now I can’t get one to last over a month without leaking. So I’m done with those things.
I guess it’s time to try the Nalgene with the long straw system. To the guys who are using that set up, I assume you keep another storage bladder full of water in your pack, so which storage bladders seem to be the toughest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Toughest without a doubt is the MSR, but they do tend to have a distinct taste after storage.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I use two different ones. Like others have said I use a hydrapak and I also have a msr dromedary. Im on my second hydrapak, the first one lasted two years. They are definitely a lot better than just a normal bladder you would stick I your pack and I like the weight and how small it compresses down. If you are looking for serious durability I recommend the dromedary. Ive had that same one for probably close to 8 years. The hydrapak I get concerned where I put it down on the ground after having one get a hole but the dromedary I have zero concerns of anything happening to it with normal use.

I have about 4 bladders I have used for the last 13 years and no leaks. One is a Platypus, 2 Camelback, a generic one, and an MSR. I just got a Hydrapack to try.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to the hard sided hydration system last year and I don’t carry a bladder anymore. I have a 1.5L Nalgene and use a filter to refill it as needed. When I won’t be able to filter I carry a second 1L Nalgene full.

I carry both Nalgenes on the outside of my pack. I never had a bladder personally leak but I have heard the stories and was always afraid of opening my pack and having no water and wet stuff. The extra space inside my pack is nice too.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
MSR is the toughest that I've used. I think you could stand on one of those full of water....well maybe a child could! My first two had the odor issue and I could not eliminate it no matter what I tried. Latest ones seems to be fine.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I use the hard side hydration with a tall nalgene. I just carry another nalgene if I know water will be somewhat scarce.