Mystery Ranch to sell REI type packs to the masses of asses.....

full draw

FNG
I may be interested in the LB MR.

on a different note I think I will be ordering Kifaru accessories to cover up my mystery ranch pack.

dotman

WKR
Mystery Ranch has outsourced some packs for quite some time:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/big-mountain-pack-ex

They certainly build packs in Bozeman:

http://www.rokslide.com/easyblog/entry/mystery-ranch-s-updated-nice-metcalf-by-matt-cashell

It does seem you cant order packs and bags separate right now. That is a head scratcher, as that is the real benefit to the NICE system.

However, another explanation would be that they are trying to get rid of NICE inventory in the hunting line to make room for a new frame.

I always heard the sewing for production items was off site. Kind of like Kifaru, EXO and SG do it. Weird then why they won't sell the individual components separately now if the work is done onsite.

OP
B

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure its a "genius" plan - but it certainly has worked for a lot of companies who built a premium brand on the "made local/USA/buy from your neighbor" mentality before taking their premium product, and premium price overseas... Hell, even Levi Strauss figured this out decades ago.

For me personally - I turn disloyal to a brand that exploits the Made in the USA mantra to build their premium brand before outsourcing for a fraction of the price, and increasing the cost of their product at the same due to popularity..... AKA Yeti Coolers, Arcteryx, North Face, and just about anything else made out of plastics/textiles...... even if the quality doesn't suffer - I still feel that the reasons I bought the product for no longer apply.

Made in the USA is a brand all in itself... Companies use that to create a premium brand at a premium price all the time. Funny they never tell you that this is made in the USA only until the time is right to softly creep across the pond.

OP
B

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
I may be interested in the LB MR.

on a different note I think I will be ordering Kifaru accessories to cover up my mystery ranch pack.

Shoot me a text - 650-799-2749.... i can take some decent high res pictures as opposed to the limits on the slide.

That's what I would think, always heard that was the majority of their business. Now if they keep their made in the U.S. Stuff and add made in China for box stores that might be a genius plan for expanding their customer base. Pick up a pack from REI and if you like it consider a more expensive made here option.

I'm not privy to their books but I would say without mil and fire MR wouldn't be MR, those are accounts I believe they cannot afford to lose.

Too strange - right after I posted this last night I realized that they are using the write-up review for the Longbow that I wrote last fall..... kind of weird.

Talked to MR again today - got one of their reps who has helped me before..... The Longbow is being discontinued along with the Tri-Zip design for hunting packs. I assume they are going to follow a lighter weight movement like everyone else. That frame desperately needs to be redesigned, cleaned up, and minimized.

If anyone is interested, I have a mint Longbow that will be appearing shortly on the Classifieds Section..... or just shoot me a text 650-799-2749 / give me a ring and I'll walk you through the details. Frame and tons of accessories. Ready to rock. Gonna use my Metcalf...

I like MR and really liked the guys that worked there but getting rid of the trizip is one of the DUMBEST things they could ever do. Ever sense SeaCat moved on from them they have been making terrible decisions as far as their hunting line goes.

dotman

WKR
Not sure its a "genius" plan - but it certainly has worked for a lot of companies who built a premium brand on the "made local/USA/buy from your neighbor" mentality before taking their premium product, and premium price overseas... Hell, even Levi Strauss figured this out decades ago.

For me personally - I turn disloyal to a brand that exploits the Made in the USA mantra to build their premium brand before outsourcing for a fraction of the price, and increasing the cost of their product at the same due to popularity..... AKA Yeti Coolers, Arcteryx, North Face, and just about anything else made out of plastics/textiles...... even if the quality doesn't suffer - I still feel that the reasons I bought the product for no longer apply.

Made in the USA is a brand all in itself... Companies use that to create a premium brand at a premium price all the time. Funny they never tell you that this is made in the USA only until the time is right to softly creep across the pond.

I see no problem with adding a new line to the existing that isn't made here, now if it all goes to China that would suck. If it helps a good company grow but doesn't change their core products then what's the issue?

Make it clear that you have both options and that your premium goods are made in the U.S. and box store products are from China.

I think the issue is when all products goes over the pond which is what usually happens but in their industry there is no reason for this to happen.

dotman

WKR
I like MR and really liked the guys that worked there but getting rid of the trizip is one of the DUMBEST things they could ever do. Ever sense SeaCat moved on from them they have been making terrible decisions as far as their hunting line goes.

Completely agree, the trizip is pure MR and I would hate to see it go or only be available in a made in China option.

TheTone

WKR
Add another person that doesn't want to see the trizip go away. I love my bighorn and if they really are going to discontinue that design I may look into a dragon slayer or longbow while I still can

I see no problem with adding a new line to the existing that isn't made here, now if it all goes to China that would suck. If it helps a good company grow but doesn't change their core products then what's the issue?

Make it clear that you have both options and that your premium goods are made in the U.S. and box store products are from China.

I think the issue is when all products goes over the pond which is what usually happens but in their industry there is no reason for this to happen.

If it were me, I wouldn't water down a premium brand with a price-point type product. Plenty of companies compete in different price-point areas, but they utilize different brands to do so. Smith Optics and Suncloud come to mind, and there are hundreds more. It is concerning that they haven't spun up a new brand for this launch.

If it were me, I wouldn't water down a premium brand with a price-point type product. Plenty of companies compete in different price-point areas, but they utilize different brands to do so. Smith Optics and Suncloud come to mind, and there are hundreds more. It is concerning that they haven't spun up a new brand for this launch.

I would not consider MR a Premium brand. Outside of military, fire and some hunting crowds most people have never heard of them. Maybe someone walks into an rei and sees mystery ranch on a pack. Well they Google the name and get to read all about them. Most people do not need a berry compliant pack and most won't pay the price it demands. In thinking about it the new lines are meant for snow and backpacker groups. I would imagine they will be using much lighter materials which means they won't be as durable. Maybe they don't want to taint the made in the USA rep of durability because by design the packs won't be made as durable on purpose.

KHNC

WKR
I had heard this was coming and the new bag must be ordered with the frame tells me that it's not just the new REI type packs that are getting some salt water under them. They only company that I'm sure is selling Berry compliant all American made packs is Kifaru. Exo and SG sew here but they're not using 100% American made materials and components. It's one of the reasons they are less expensive than Kifaru.

Unless I am mis-reading, Paradox is 100% USA made as well. And a damn fine pack!

http://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/

dotman

WKR
I would not consider MR a Premium brand. Outside of military, fire and some hunting crowds most people have never heard of them. Maybe someone walks into an rei and sees mystery ranch on a pack. Well they Google the name and get to read all about them. Most people do not need a berry compliant pack and most won't pay the price it demands. In thinking about it the new lines are meant for snow and backpacker groups. I would imagine they will be using much lighter materials which means they won't be as durable. Maybe they don't want to taint the made in the USA rep of durability because by design the packs won't be made as durable on purpose.

I agree, none of the highend pack companies we know would I consider a premium brand as far as most consumers are concerned.

Mtnboy

WKR
Rumor has it they are going to start letting 3rd party retailers sell the Hunting Line soon.

Shrek

WKR
Unless I am mis-reading, Paradox is 100% USA made as well. And a damn fine pack!

http://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/

Only way to know for sure is if it's Berry compliant. The made in USA label allows of a small percentage of foreign content. I haven't combed through the SO website s I don't know if they have certified. It's still great that they along with Exo and SG are making their products here and is light years ahead of garbage companies making crap in Vietnam or the PDRC. Going Berry compliant is a whole different level of commitment though.

Shrek

WKR
Rumor has it they are going to start letting 3rd party retailers sell the Hunting Line soon.
That pretty much will tell the tale of where it will be made. If it goes through retailers then it would be almost impossible for them to manufacture in the USA and be competitive on price with retail markups.

Mtnboy

WKR
That pretty much will tell the tale of where it will be made. If it goes through retailers then it would be almost impossible for them to manufacture in the USA and be competitive on price with retail markups.

What I've heard is not necessarily Cabelas, Bass Pro etc. but more like 1Shot Gear, Linton Outdoors, Schnees, S&S Archery etc. type places.

I agree if they put the hunting line through the major players, then that is probably the kiss of death for the USA made stuff.

Only way to know for sure is if it's Berry compliant. The made in USA label allows of a small percentage of foreign content. I haven't combed through the SO website s I don't know if they have certified. It's still great that they along with Exo and SG are making their products here and is light years ahead of garbage companies making crap in Vietnam or the PDRC. Going Berry compliant is a whole different level of commitment though.

Why would they bother? I doubt paradox would make anything for military applications.

OP
B

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
UPDATE:

Spoke again to MR this morning. The ENTIRE hunting line is getting revamped and will be released in late January 2016 . Their is a new frame, more skeletonized, lighter, and the lineup will be completely changed. The Crew Cab and Metcalf are getting an update. The Marshall will remain the same. And there will be 2 additional models added. The LONGBOW has been discontinued and is no longer in stock. The old packs will still be usable on the new frame, but you won't be able to just buy the frame.... all packs will be sold Frame+pack and not as separates. Now here comes the sad part.....

THE ENTIRE HUNTING LINE (and all accessories) WILL BE MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES. Only the Fire and Military line will still be manufactured in the US. However, I was told that this will be reflected in the price point.

I just listed my mint condition Made in the USA Longbow for sale in the Classifieds section. I also have several accessories for sale.

dmac