Mystery Ranch to sell REI type packs to the masses of asses.....

Yep, too damn bad. I have a Dana Design Terraplane made just after they got outsourced. It's a great pack but sucks that so many companies move production overseas and don't reflect their lower manufacturing cost on the price we pay. Glad we still have some great pack companies made in the USA (Stone Glacier, Exo and Kifaru).

MT_Wyatt

WKR

dotman

WKR
Pretty sure they are still making packs in the US/Bozeman as well, they are just starting up an overseas line to compete in big stores it seems

I thought they were made in California, not MT, just based out of MT. With the changes in ordering I bet the entire line goes overseas especially with the military slow up.

full draw

FNG
kinda loses the whole proud to own aspect. every tom dick harry and adam will be donning mystery ranch. awesome. can I give mine back? I knew I should have bought eberlestock. <<<< sarcasm but to me they are equals now. #whyyoudothisMR

jcodyc40

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure their entire hunting and military lines are still USA made. Each pack on their website states where it is made. They do manufacture packs in Bozeman, not sure if any other location in the US. I have had a very positive experience dealing with Mystery Ranch with a Unit order, they bent over backward to make sure we had what we needed when we needed it. Too bad they did some outsourcing, looks like they followed the Danner business model.

dotman

WKR
I have heard from a few different people that they are moving production off shore but I'm not taking the comments serious until we actually know. Wonder if they will pull a Kuiu and think they'll get the same small hand slap from customers. For those that don't know what I'm talking about just say early on Kuiu products were expected to be made in Canada, a few of us, me included, got a shocker when our orders came in with made in Vietnam tags.

Maybe MR will release something and put people's minds at ease that production is staying here. Suck to see another good company move that way but on a positive note I hear Zebra Light is still planning to move their production from China to Texas.

It's a shame, it seems to be that once a brand wants to grow beyond a certain size they have to get out of the "mega premium" price point. In doing so usually the product gets watered down then outsourced. Some companies, say TC Arms for instance, manage to pull it off domestic, but they're the exception.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
It's a shame, it seems to be that once a brand wants to grow beyond a certain size they have to get out of the "mega premium" price point. In doing so usually the product gets watered down then outsourced. Some companies, say TC Arms for instance, manage to pull it off domestic, but they're the exception.

I think it depends on what you are building. TC is making guns. MR packs. It's very tough to compete against such inexpensive, government subsidized manufacturing in the textile world. It appears MR is interested in offering their product to a wider audience by lowering their price point. If they manage QC and don't let their overseas partners swap out for inferior materials there is no reason they can't produce a quality product.

We all want made in the USA. But until our government puts the screws to the unfair trade practices and levels the playing field for domestic manufacturing, it's not going to happen.

Shrek

WKR
I had heard this was coming and the new bag must be ordered with the frame tells me that it's not just the new REI type packs that are getting some salt water under them. They only company that I'm sure is selling Berry compliant all American made packs is Kifaru. Exo and SG sew here but they're not using 100% American made materials and components. It's one of the reasons they are less expensive than Kifaru.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Mystery Ranch has outsourced some packs for quite some time:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/big-mountain-pack-ex

They certainly build packs in Bozeman:

http://www.rokslide.com/easyblog/entry/mystery-ranch-s-updated-nice-metcalf-by-matt-cashell

It does seem you cant order packs and bags separate right now. That is a head scratcher, as that is the real benefit to the NICE system.

However, another explanation would be that they are trying to get rid of NICE inventory in the hunting line to make room for a new frame.

TheTone

WKR
However, another explanation would be that they are trying to get rid of NICE inventory in the hunting line to make room for a new frame.

That's something I'm hoping for. These new packs may be a great alternative to what they are being set to compete with and we know we would be supporting a company that likes hunters

I think people are over reacting a bit. While I think that not being able to order just bags is complete BS there is no way MR will not remain berry compliant with at least some of their packs especially mil and fire.

OP
B

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
Too strange - right after I posted this last night I realized that they are using the write-up review for the Longbow that I wrote last fall..... kind of weird.

Talked to MR again today - got one of their reps who has helped me before..... The Longbow is being discontinued along with the Tri-Zip design for hunting packs. I assume they are going to follow a lighter weight movement like everyone else. That frame desperately needs to be redesigned, cleaned up, and minimized.

If anyone is interested, I have a mint Longbow that will be appearing shortly on the Classifieds Section..... or just shoot me a text 650-799-2749 / give me a ring and I'll walk you through the details. Frame and tons of accessories. Ready to rock. Gonna use my Metcalf...

dotman

WKR
I think people are over reacting a bit. While I think that not being able to order just bags is complete BS there is no way MR will not remain berry compliant with at least some of their packs especially mil and fire.

That's what I would think, always heard that was the majority of their business. Now if they keep their made in the U.S. Stuff and add made in China for box stores that might be a genius plan for expanding their customer base. Pick up a pack from REI and if you like it consider a more expensive made here option.