my Tikka build in 22GT

G37some

FNG
Gonna be using this post to document my build for my newest rifle. Will be based off a tikka action and a barrel from Patriot Valley Arms. I went with a 20 inch light palma contour in 22GT. added parts for this will be Mountain Tactical bottom metal and one of their new raptor scope mounts. looking at putting it into an ag composites alpine hunter and topping it with a nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42. will be adding pictures as soon as i figure out how to.

hided smileys

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
75% of that is right up my alley. Looks like you figured out the pictures.

A few questions:

Twist rate?

Projectile(s) of focus? What speed(s) are you hoping for?

Did PVA get you the barrel yet? If not, how long has it been?

Planning to run suppressed?

Sticking with Tikka mags or doing the AICS bottom metal?

Reactions: 2UP
OP
G

G37some

FNG
75% of that is right up my alley. Looks like you figured out the pictures.

A few questions:

Twist rate?

Projectile(s) of focus? What speed(s) are you hoping for?

Did PVA get you the barrel yet? If not, how long has it been?

Planning to run suppressed?

Sticking with Tikka mags or doing the AICS bottom metal?
I went with a 1-7 twist as Ill be shooting 80 grain eldm bullets.
Im hoping to see 3050 fps that way i can zero at 50 and be point of aim +or- 4 inches out to 350 yards.
I just ordered the barrel this weekend, after speaking to josh personally he stated to me that their current lead time is 4-6 weeks.
yes it will be suppressed 100% of the time.
and yes I will be staying with the factory tikka mags. I dont like the rattly nature of the aics mags for a hunting gun.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
What did you end up with for a contour from PVA? Curious when it arrives what the shank diameter is on it, and what you think. Been considering grabbing one or two. I have a hankering for something in 6mm.

I’m thinking about building off a bare action here soon. Debating on just getting a tikka off JA outdoors or going with an arc nucleus. The tikka gets me a trigger and action for 675, I’m not touching that with anything that takes prefits on a 700 platform.

OP
G

G37some

FNG
What did you end up with for a contour from PVA? Curious when it arrives what the shank diameter is on it, and what you think. Been considering grabbing one or two. I have a hankering for something in 6mm.

I’m thinking about building off a bare action here soon. Debating on just getting a tikka off JA outdoors or going with an arc nucleus. The tikka gets me a trigger and action for 675, I’m not touching that with anything that takes prefits on a 700 platform.
I went with a light palma contour in a shouldered barrel, should be close to the same profile as my ctr barrel on my other rifle. should have a 1.160 tennon according to pva website. JA outdoors is exactly who I bought my action off of and for the price you are right you wont come close to anything in a rem 700 platform.

Lawnboi

WKR
I went with a light palma contour in a shouldered barrel, should be close to the same profile as my ctr barrel on my other rifle. should have a 1.160 tennon according to pva website. JA outdoors is exactly who I bought my action off of and for the price you are right you wont come close to anything in a rem 700 platform.
Interested to hear more on the barrel when it arrives.

I’m thinking a medium Palma, in 6br or creed, something heavy enough I can use it for a match rifle, but light enough that I don’t mind carrying it for non backcountry hunting. Also want something my wife could manage at a match, I don’t see her muscling a MTU contour around.

I’d order a manners eh1 with a mini chassis if I were in your shoes. The wait might be a deterrent but they have had a few eh1 tikka flat tops lately. Honestly a light Palma with some of these upper 20oz stocks is going to end up nose heavy with a supressor screwed on. A manners prstk might be worth a look as well to give the back end a little weight.

OP
G

G37some

FNG

I’m thinking a medium Palma, in 6br or creed, something heavy enough I can use it for a match rifle, but light enough that I don’t mind carrying it for non backcountry hunting. Also want something my wife could manage at a match, I don’t see her muscling a MTU contour around.

I’d order a manners eh1 with a mini chassis if I were in your shoes. The wait might be a deterrent but they have had a few eh1 tikka flat tops lately. Honestly a light Palma with some of these upper 20oz stocks is going to end up nose heavy with a supressor screwed on. A manners prstk might be worth a look as well to give the back end a little weight.
From what josh at pva told me a 20 inch light palma should come in a touch over 3lbs and a med palma would have been closer to 3.5 lbs

OP
G

G37some

FNG
Gotta give a massive hand for josh and joe over at patriot valley arms. Ordered my rock creek prefit on saturday, they called me monday to let me know they didnt have any rock creek blanks in stock but did have their new osprey blanks available. Went ahead and upgraded and got an email today wednesday that the barrel was on its way to me. Super excited to see this thing.

OP
G

G37some

FNG
The barrel is here. Less than one week from order to in hand. Light palma at 20" weighs 3lb 2oz. Should make for a good over all weight. 20220415_165907.jpg20220415_165824.jpg

OP
G

G37some

FNG

Barrel is here and for a match gun id deff go med palma or maybe a light sendero contour. But for hunting this should be perfect.

OP
G

G37some

FNG
Well i found a ready to ship tikka EH1 on the manners site and oulled the trigger. Fits freaking fantastic. Cant wait to get back home to start load development. 20220425_133346.jpg

slowelk

WKR
Curious to see how this thing shoots! The two rock creeks I’ve had shot well, but I don’t know anything about osprey.

OP
G

G37some

FNG
Curious to see how this thing shoots! The two rock creeks I’ve had shot well, but I don’t know anything about osprey.
Ive heard good things about rock creek blanks as well. Only reason i ended up with the osprey blank is because pva didnt have and rock creek blanks on hand and wasnt sure when more would be coming in. The extra 100 bucks was worth not having to wait an unknown amount of time for a barrel blank.

slowelk

WKR
Looks like those osprey barrels have faster than normal twist rates - 7.5 in a 6.5 creedmoor for example. They do that so they can shoot the solids that pva makes. I’ve done a little googling on overspinning bullets, but nothing is black and white.

OP
G

G37some

FNG
Looks like those osprey barrels have faster than normal twist rates - 7.5 in a 6.5 creedmoor for example. They do that so they can shoot the solids that pva makes. I’ve done a little googling on overspinning bullets, but nothing is black and white.
Dont know about 6.5 but the 1-7 in a 22gt is the normal twit rates so it should not be over spinning bullets.

OP
G

G37some

FNG
How fast is it shooting and how’s the accuracy?
Havent been able to get any loads worked up. Ill be back to my reloading equipment in a couple weeks and ill update the thread. Im hoping to be in the 3050 to 3100 range shooting 80grain eldms

Antares

WKR
Who makes that bolt knob? Is that an just an oversized knob that fits over the factory knob?

OP
G

G37some

FNG
Who makes that bolt knob? Is that an just an oversized knob that fits over the factory knob?
Yes it is actually available on amazon. It is a 3d printed piece that slides onto the factory knob and tightens in place with a set screw. This is my temp fix until i can find the glades armory swept back handle i want.