My thoughts on Long-range shooting/hunting

If the bullet gets diverted from it's intended path right away, it'll impact further from point of aim than it would if it gets diverted further along. I'm not trying to argue either, I think we're simply not understanding each others opinion as intended.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I was taught that wind at the muzzle meant next to nothing. Not enough time spent in that wind. ~75-80% the range when shooting 500+yards when the max altitude of the arc is reached and the bullet starts to drop is where wind shifts the most. Wind can be a lot different along the path of the projectile and it’s the part of the path where the projectile spends the most time that alters its course the most. I’m still trying to figure out how to best read a mirage to determine the wind speed and direction. Just when I think I have it, i don’t. The best reason I’ve found to switch from MOA tol MIL is because of the wind holds. Still have to have the speed and direction right. And i don’t hold for wind sub 300yards. But I only hunt, not compete. Has worked so far. But could certainly learn more.

Last edited:

eric1115

WKR
I’ve been long-range hunting (over 40 years) and have been a 1000-yard completive shooter for a number of years and winning a IBS/NBRSA national championship for 1000 yard score and two state championships for smallest group.

First off to be successful you must have excellent equipment to do the job, that’s fairly easy to do if you have the money to buy what is required. In my opinion the weakest link in the chain is the scope, buy the best you can afford, the rifle can sometimes be purchased of the shelf, manufactured by several commercial rifle makers. That being said in my opinion if you’re going to spend your hard-earned dollars, go to a qualified gun builder and have a custom barrel chambered in your favorite caliber. That will take care of part of the equation.

Now for the hard part is acquiring the skill set. I really don’t know how to tell you how to go about it, other than I practice when the conditions are bad at the longest range I can 300 to 500 yards or so would be good. Shorter ranges can work but not be as dramatic of changes as the longer ranges. I should mention quality ammunition is of major importance. (Good scope + good rifle + bad ammo = bad groups.) When shooting in windy conditions I pay close attention to the wind in front of the rifle, when the bullet exits the barrel gravity and wind acts on it immediately and stars to pull it down and in the direction of the wind and I think it effects it the most at that moment a few thousands of deflections at the muzzle can be huge at distance. I also look at the conditions along the bullets path that can counteract or add to what’s happening at the muzzle and I’ll adjust accordingly. I don’t pay too much attention to what’s happening at the target except for light conditions, because the bullet is already there.

In all honesty while having many one shot kills at distance, I’ve also had my share of near misses on the first shot, but if having an opportunity for a second shot I more often than not make a clean kill. In the many years of hunting long-range, I never crippled one and have it get away. On rare occasions I did have to shoot an animal again not wanting to let it bleed-out and suffer.

I’ll probably have a lot of blow-back on this and maybe called BS but this is what works for me.
Do you know if a hot dog is a sandwich? Still trying to get this figured out.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
JFC... this has been looked at by some of the best ballisticians in the biz... wind at the shooter (or the firs 1/3rd) is the most important. Some of y'all were flat out taught wrong. This doesn't account for the nuance of course, ex. 5 mph L-R at shooter, 25 mph R-L at target.

If you still disagree, argue with Litz.

Has links to a AB Facebook post too: https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2022/04/bryan-litz-explains-cwf-crosswind-weighting-factor/

JFC... this has been looked at by some of the best ballisticians in the biz... wind at the shooter (or the firs 1/3rd) is the most important. Some of y'all were flat out taught wrong. This doesn't account for the nuance of course, ex. 5 mph L-R at shooter, 25 mph R-L at target.

Has links to a AB Facebook post too: https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2022/04/bryan-litz-explains-cwf-crosswind-weighting-factor/
This is what I was trying to convey.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider

Only when it's broken down into thirds. When you add the 2/3 and 3/3 together they have greater effect than the 1st third.

If you still disagree, argue with Litz. 🤣