My girlfriend got bit by a raccoon this evening…

cnelk

WKR
She took her dog out to go pee and the coon came around from the neighbors shed and came right at them.
She had pulled the leash and the coon got her on the shin

Just got back from the ER after her first round of rabies shots.

The Humane Society didn’t want to respond so I just set a live trap

I’ll take care of it ;)

Taudisio

WKR
What state? You should be able to get it tested. Don’t injure the brain or freeze it. Contact your state epidemiologist tomorrow and ask about it. Your county public health should be able to assist.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
The coon was still hanging around when I set the trap. The neighbor said he saw a mama and a young one a few minutes before but the one that bit was a big ol coon she said

The ol acetone and syringe will probably get used in the morning

That sucks man. I’ve heard those rounds of shots are painful. Hope you catch the sucker. Honestly, that’s pretty weird aggressive behavior for a coon. Prob actually does have rabies.
Its usually just the immunoglobulin shots that can be painful, and its because they have to inject it all over the bite area. Coincidentally, its also the most expensive part. The IG alone cost anywhere from 20-30k and I'm not exaggerating.

The actual vaccine shots are just like any other vaccine - at least mine were. Show up, quick jab in the upper arm area and away you go. Never felt those at all.

IdahoBeav

WKR
When I was in college, I remedied an issue involving of a problem racoon that repeatedly would not respond to attempts at getting him to leave. This was in the city limits, so firearms were not involved. Anyhow, I told my boss at the time about it, and he advised me not to mention it to anyone else, saying something about cruelty to animals and possible legal repercussion. Being from the sticks, I didn't believe him, so he told me to Google it. Sure enough, people have been punished for solving this type of problem. Just an FYI.

ODB

WKR
Its usually just the immunoglobulin shots that can be painful, and its because they have to inject it all over the bite area. Coincidentally, its also the most expensive part. The IG alone cost anywhere from 20-30k and I'm not exaggerating.

The actual vaccine shots are just like any other vaccine - at least mine were. Show up, quick jab in the upper arm area and away you go. Never felt those at all.

But doesn't the vaccine mean you only skip the site IG shots after a bite but still have to get follow ups? I'll have to look into that again - I remember reading about them before I went to Africa.

KsRancher

WKR
Dang! That sucks. Hopefully you catch it soon. When we were having skunk problems I think the vet told me that they only live a couple days after showing signs.

It’s crazy how aggressive those things can be!

I used to trap them for a buddy to use for dog training. If you have trouble bringing it in, dog food mixed with bacon grease worked nearly every single time.

My boy got bit by a feral cat this past fall and had to do the rabies protocol. They did shots around the bite site but then the vaccines x 4 went into his upper arm, and they seemed like any other shot to me. We were out of pocket about $2000 for 4 visits because one had to be in an ER (day after Thanksgiving) and another was at a county health department in western KS while we were on a deer hunt.

Reactions: ODB

wytx

WKR
State will test it foe free and results are fast.
Maybe call the GW.

Hope she is ok !!

Will_m

WKR
Not that this helps, but I’ve been bitten by quite a few raccoons and never saw a need for the rabies shots. Safe is always better than sorry but I’m sure she’ll be left with is nothing but a good story.