My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

FZMT

FNG
Any more feedback with this? I’m seriously contemplating pulling the trigger on it. Thanks.
I can confirm it breathes better than most mid layer options and is thick/plush.

I haven’t had the opportunity to really put it through its paces.

I’m very sensitive to constricting necklines, this sweater is particularly constricting for me given the construction. I reached out to AR to see if they’re making a 1/4 zip with the same material, nothing definite but they seemed somewhat interested.

It’s very well made and I’ll get a 1/4 zip if they release one.

FZMT

FNG
I ordered several pairs of the 100% camel and yak wool socks from Mongulai’s Etsy page. I also ordered the yak blend.

They’re excellent socks, the camel in particular run cooler and are more suitable for a wider temperature range. I’ve put a good number of miles on them and they’ll be my go-to sock this season.

I’ll use the 100% wool versions unless durability becomes an issue, but so far they’ve been acceptable in the durability category.

Both breath and otherwise handle moisture better than standard merino Smartwool hiking socks.

I do use them with the Ininji liner socks which I’ve worn for several years now and have performed excellently, though durability is sub-par in my experience. My synthetics developed small holes between the toes after around a year of constant use, Ininji did warranty them. The wool ones seem more prone to holes on the bottom, particularly around the proximal phalanges.

The synthetic have been more durable than the wool.

FZMT

FNG
Just because it’s easier to comment here than find the mesh base layer thread, I did order a pair of the Aclima woolnet and after 1.5 year of use I can report that they’re excellent.

The Aclima are by far the best base layer I’ve used, they wick moisture like no other. I used them every time I went out, I haven’t found a better option for high-exertion cold weather activities.

I will say that you may need to rethink your layering system a bit if you use them, they’re very warm when you put a layer over them. I have worn wool mid layers for a very long time and would compare the woolnet to a ~200wt merino when the net is covered with another layer.

I found that I could generally go much lighter for a mid layer when using them, I most frequently paired them with a Sitka Core Lightweight hoody or t shirt down to about freezing temps.

dkell

Lil-Rokslider
Atlantic Rancher Ranger Sweater came in today. It feels incredible. Super robust, soft, and almost airy feeling.

The neck closing is smaller than what I am used to having. It is not uncomfortable just is sitting higher up on the collarbone. A heftier weight buff might have a tough time going under it (I typically have mine going under the outer layer a bit.) I will run it through its paces this hunting season.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Atlantic Rancher Ranger Sweater came in today. It feels incredible. Super robust, soft, and almost airy feeling.

The neck closing is smaller than what I am used to having. It is not uncomfortable just is sitting higher up on the collarbone. A heftier weight buff might have a tough time going under it (I typically have mine going under the outer layer a bit.) I will run it through its paces this hunting season.

The neck will loosen up a bit over time, and I roll/fold mine in which gets it off your throat.

FZMT

FNG
The neck will loosen up a bit over time, and I roll/fold mine in which gets it off your throat.
Do you by any chance have a picture showing how much it rolls/folds? Mine will stay slightly rolled but still is pretty tight.

BTW - thank you for sharing your gear list and all the other tidbits through the years. They’ve been amazingly helpful.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Do you by any chance have a picture showing how much it rolls/folds? Mine will stay slightly rolled but still is pretty tight.

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1868.jpeg

That’s as good as I’ve got. It’s loose enough I often don’t roll it anymore. Probably took a month or so of wear and a washing to loosen up.

BTW - thank you for sharing your gear list and all the other tidbits through the years. They’ve been amazingly helpful.

You are welcome, I’m glad to hear it has been of some use.