My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus more info on your Spicy Mustard for cramps.
I’m not Form but I did a sports medicine fellowship as part of my medical training and this question came up from the football team I covered. The AT’s for the team were partial to pickle juice but kept mustard on hand as well. I couldn’t find much data but did come across this article when they asked me to look into what worked best.

In summary, it would seem that neither pickle juice or mustard make things worse but at least in small quantities, they don’t replete electrolytes effectively, either. One theory I’ve heard is the tart/sour flavor makes for a distraction and allows you to relax the cramped muscle, though not sure how one could prove that. Anecdotally, I’ve seen both mustard and pickle juice be effective for athletes on the field though.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I typically use LMNT, Skratch Labs or Tailwind for electrolyte replacement as I am a heavy sweater but always looking for something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I do not believe that mustard is an electrolyte replacement. I have gotten muscle cramps while plenty hydrated and plenty of electrolytes, and mustard (spicy seems better) has helped quickly. I have seen quite a few others use it as well. @mtnwrunner is the one that introduced me to it, and he was correct.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus what's your thoughts specifically on the RATS tq?

My experience with them when they first came out was that they are exceptionally painful, and tended to act similar to a rope or cord (extremely high pressure on small surface area), and most elastic things tend to bite or cut into skin.

fwafwow

WKR
@Formidilosus what's your thoughts specifically on the RATS tq?
I would not rely upon it as a primary TQ. I also think that the product name listed on part of their website - R.A.T.S. (Rapid Application Tourniquet System)/Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) ® - is misleading. The TCCC in the registered name (and apparently, at least at one point, on the label, apparently with "approved") - is not the same as being "recommended" by the CoTCCC.

@Formidilosus

Thanks a bunch for putting this all together, I've been assembling some questions.

1. Do you follow the Vivo specified care process for your Trackers? If not, what process have you adopted for care and maintenance? I wear mine virtually daily here in the PNW and visually they look like they're getting roughed up pretty good, although there seem to be no integrity issues. I have been following their standard process with Renapur only.

2. How long did it take your Red Kettle Jacket to break in and establish that brown patina? They like incredibly Red on their website and social posts, which has me leaning Green being PNW based.

3. How much wet can the Red Kettle Jacket really take? Can it withstand enough to be used as a standalone wind & rain layer if you're primarily hunting out of a Base Camp daily with a wood stove? How fast does it dry without a wood stove?

4. How much abuse can the Atlantic Rancher Ranger really take? Presumably you wouldn't bust brush in prickly conditions with it. Does it hold up in rocky conditions? If you pair this with the Red Kettle Jacket, could you get away with hunting in a coastal rainstorm for a day hunt? I understand one might be miserable doing so.

5. Have you ever tried the Patagonia R1 Air? If yes, why does it not have a place in your kit?

6. What's your care routine for your leather gloves?

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus

Thanks a bunch for putting this all together, I've been assembling some questions.

1. Do you follow the Vivo specified care process for your Trackers? If not, what process have you adopted for care and maintenance? I wear mine virtually daily here in the PNW and visually they look like they're getting roughed up pretty good, although there seem to be no integrity issues. I have been following their standard process with Renapur only.

When they look like they are getting dried out, I wipe them clean and reapply a leather treatment. I’ve used multiple. Keeping them waxed/oiled seems to be the optimum process.

2. How long did it take your Red Kettle Jacket to break in and establish that brown patina? They like incredibly Red on their website and social posts, which has me leaning Green being PNW based.

Pretty quick- a couple weeks. Use it regularly and it breaks in well. Not red at all- brown’ish rust.

3. How much wet can the Red Kettle Jacket really take?

More than I would have thought. If you put your elbow in a puddle, it will seem through in a couple of minutes. However as soon as you remove the arm from the puddle it stops. I have never gotten wetted out while wearing it, though about an hour of full on rain in the most I’ve subjected it to. Misty/light rain- not a bit has gotten through.

Can it withstand enough to be used as a standalone wind & rain layer if you're primarily hunting out of a Base Camp daily with a wood stove? How fast does it dry without a wood stove?

For me and those I’m around yes. No issue. Without a wood stove it takes a while unless it’s in the sun. In damp and colder weather, it may take a couple of days just hanging. You gotta keep in mind that it isn’t a Gortex shell, doesn’t behave like one, and isn’t meant to. The outside may be slightly damp feeling (like a cavas tent) but you aren’t wet inside it.

4. How much abuse can the Atlantic Rancher Ranger really take? Presumably you wouldn't bust brush in prickly conditions with it. Does it hold up in rocky conditions? If you pair this with the Red Kettle Jacket, could you get away with hunting in a coastal rainstorm for a day hunt? I understand one might be miserable doing so.

I don’t know about absolute durability- I used mine for probably a hundred days last fall and winter and only got a single small pull which was easy to fix. It’s less “fragile” than merino alone, and as long as you aren’t going through brambles, no problem.

Yes, the Ranger sweater and the Red Kettle make an excellent combo, and is probably overall one of the best for that environment for daily use- I will be using them exactly like it next week.

5. Have you ever tried the Patagonia R1 Air? If yes, why does it not have a place in your kit?

I have. It’s good and works fine. It didn’t really offer me anything over what I was already using.

6. What's your care routine for your leather gloves?

Same as the boots- keep them waxed/oiled.

Last edited:

dkell

Lil-Rokslider
I received one of these recently. I can’t believe how soft it is. And it’s thick/heavy. Can’t wait to get some use out of it.

Any more feedback with this? I’m seriously contemplating pulling the trigger on it. Thanks.

fwafwow

WKR
Any more feedback with this? I’m seriously contemplating pulling the trigger on it. Thanks.
Nothing from outdoor use. But around town use convinced me to get another in another color. The first one was on sale though

fwafwow

WKR
Usually the liner crew, but I’ve used the wool as well. Both in base layer weight for me
I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on these - both the liner crew and liner crew wool (of course, for "around town"/fashion use first) and happened to notice that the reviews for the wool version on the Injinji website are pretty bad. In contrast, the reviews for the "regular" are pretty consistently great. FWIW.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus Would much change for a wetter environment say the PNW coast range or fall when it tends to be stormy or rainy with temps stable in the 50-60s with very heavy brush and brambles?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus Would much change for a wetter environment say the PNW coast range or fall when it tends to be stormy or rainy with temps stable in the 50-60s with very heavy brush and brambles?

Yes. The pack would use a full dry bag liner. Buffalo Systems jackets and potentially pants. Super high pile fleece for insulation. Shoes/socks remain the same.

Imcolej

FNG
Shoot2HuntU
Yes. The pack would use a full dry bag liner. Buffalo Systems jackets and potentially pants. Super high pile fleece for insulation. Shoes/socks remain the same.

I have a Buffalo systems Jacket I picked up years ago while in the UK. Haven't run it much. Is it supposed to be worn next to skin? I thought I had heard that.