My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The emergency bag is used only, and solely in a true emergency. It is the last ditch bookend to know that you or the situation has gone too far and if it is opened for any reason at all, I/we walk back to the truck- no exceptions.

Base line contents are below. These items are always in there, different situations may have something added however.

• Emergency round
  • Mini headlamp
  • Emergency blanket
  • Mini Flare
  • Lighter (bic)
  • Knife (small)
  • Whistle
  • Fire starting kit (water proof matches with waterproof tender in waterproof container)
  • Flint and steel
  • Quick clot and duct tape
  • Compass
  • Small map
  • Snickers and GU gel
  • Water purification tablets

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
[

@Randonee
The emergency bag is used only, and solely in a true emergency. It is the last ditch bookend to know that you or the situation has gone too far and if it is opened for any reason at all, I/we walk back to the truck- no exceptions.

Base line contents are below. These items are always in there, different situations may have something added however.

• Emergency round
  • Mini headlamp
  • Emergency blanket
  • Mini Flare
  • Lighter (bic)
  • Knife (small)
  • Whistle
  • Fire starting kit (water proof matches with waterproof tender in waterproof container)
  • Flint and steel
  • Compass
  • Small map
  • Snickers and GU gel

@Randonee
Take note, Form has his own rape whistle.

Thanks for the list.

I’m using the ETQ from Snakestaff. On the SG sentinel, originally without the bottom pouch I ran it under the webbing and used a thick rubber band to hold the loose end. Now, it’s in the bottom pouch on the newer harness-

View attachment 751670
Is that the only TQ you carry or do you also have a full sized CAT? I’ve been thinking about switching to the snakestaff

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Is that the only TQ you carry or do you also have a full sized CAT? I’ve been thinking about switching to the snakestaff

It’s the only one I carry, though the SWAT-T probably will get added.

TQ’s that I would use- SOF-T and SOF-T wide, Snake staff ETQ (due size and weight, while still being able to achieve full occlusion on a thigh), and SWAT-T (not as a main TQ)

While CAT’s are ubiquitous, they also commonly break, and only the latest generation has improved that.

fwafwow

WKR

TQ’s that I would use- SOF-T and SOF-T wide, Snake staff ETQ (due size and weight, while still being able to achieve full occlusion on a thigh), and SWAT-T (not as a main TQ)
I have a couple Snakestaff TQs and have posted about them before, including a link to a video by PrepMedic.
Post in thread 'Small form factor tourniquet'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/small-form-factor-tourniquet.348005/post-3512833

Since then I made the personal decision to not rely on the Snakestaff. When more data is made available, I may change my mind (again).

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

fwafwow

WKR
What specific points in that video cause you issue?
For me there are three based on my memory: (1) The lack of studies/data supporting the effectiveness (at least as of the time of that video being made), (2) that it hasn’t received the ToCCC recommendation, and (3) the amount of pain described when used. The first two points could change over time, and maybe those studies (which I believe the company says are in process) will be forthcoming. I’ve also read that the ToCCC doesn’t update recommendations very often, and is rumored to possibly not do it anymore.

Dobermann

WKR

• Emergency round
  • Mini headlamp
  • Emergency blanket
  • Mini Flare
  • Lighter (bic)
  • Knife (small)
  • Whistle
  • Flint and steel
  • Compass
  • Small map
  • Snickers and GU gel
Hi Form, just checking - does all of that fit into the SG bottom pouch?

I have much of the same in the 'basement pocket' of an old AGC, but curious about the size/capacity of the SG (recently bought an SG in part because of your involvement/recommendation, but didn't end up with a bottom pocket).

Cheers!

Dobermann

WKR

While CAT’s are ubiquitous, they also commonly break, and only the latest generation has improved that.
Form, you running the ETQ regular or wide?

and @Formidilosus and @fwafwow - see any limitations to the regular? Any evidence out there?

I carry TQs daily. Our Police are now carrying them, but Ambulance seem twitchy about citizens carrying and using - I work with them regularly, and evidence is slowly helping turn things around.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU

I stopped carrying CATs (went to SOF-T wide) due to the breakage issues, but just ordered 4 new CATs based on reports of improved design, and since I find them easier to integrate into gear than the STW. Would you relegate these new CATs to a training role, or trust them? They're currently rubber banded on my truck gun stock, battle belt, and sitting in my bino harness & IFAK.

-J

fwafwow

WKR

and @Formidilosus and @fwafwow - see any limitations to the regular? Any evidence out there?
I’m not an expert, so take it with a grain of salt. I’ve heard 2nd hand that the regular could not get the ToCCC recommendation because of how narrow it is (less than a minimum width). Some have suggested that the wife would be better - which sounds logical to me - but in that PreMedic video, the regular performed better than the wide when used on a thigh.

I don’t know of any other evidence. I did do a lazy check today and looked at the Snakestaff website, as I figured any new and positive data would be posted there. There wasn’t any. I may search later elsewhere, most likely PubMed, as they do have studies that reference specific TQs.
I carry TQs daily. Our Police are now carrying them, but Ambulance seem twitchy about citizens carrying and using - I work with them regularly, and evidence is slowly helping turn things around.
This surprises me. I’m not in the medical field in any way, but from Stop the Bleed and other sources, I would think Fire/Rescue etc. would encourage citizens carrying, provided they are trained.

Dobermann

WKR
I’m not an expert, so take it with a grain of salt. I’ve heard 2nd hand that the regular could not get the ToCCC recommendation because of how narrow it is (less than a minimum width). Some have suggested that the wife would be better - which sounds logical to me - but in that PreMedic video, the regular performed better than the wide when used on a thigh.

I don’t know of any other evidence. I did do a lazy check today and looked at the Snakestaff website, as I figured any new and positive data would be posted there. There wasn’t any. I may search later elsewhere, most likely PubMed, as they do have studies that reference specific TQs.

This surprises me. I’m not in the medical field in any way, but from Stop the Bleed and other sources, I would think Fire/Rescue etc. would encourage citizens carrying, provided they are trained.
Yep, my last first aid course was a mix of standard accredited first aid, Stop the Bleed, and some TCCC basics. Awesome course - but it's been a long battle here to have police and ambos adopt TQs.

Still, at least they don't go apoplectic about "TQs kill people" like they did 20 years ago ... I think it's more that they often don't trust non-ambos to do first aid.

Heck, just today, I had a car flip over across from my house. Phoned it in to ambulance before running to site to do first aid (no one on site would have had cell coverage) - was explicitly told by dispatch to "not splint anyone"!

Then again, they asked me if people were moving. I confirmed "One person ambulatory". Dispatch: "But is anyone moving?" Me: "Yes, one person is ambulatory" Dispatch: "I don't know what that means". 🤦

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
For me there are three based on my memory: (1) The lack of studies/data supporting the effectiveness (at least as of the time of that video being made),

It’s very simple and easy to see if a TQ is occluding a distal pulse. It doesn’t require a study. TQ’s are relatively simple items, and the ETQ is a variation of well known designs (versus say a RAT TQ).

(2) that it hasn’t received the ToCCC recommendation, and

We’ll.. I’d be careful at looking at why one does or does not get TCCC approval. For instance, they will not approve a 1” wide band, yet they do approve the CAT which is a 1” wide constricting band. And, they have “approved” CAT’s since the beginning even with overwhelming and easily verifiable breakages and lack of occlusion.

(3) the amount of pain described when used.

ALL TQ’s hurt like hell when full occlusion is achieved. What they did in the video is a joke. Turning the windlass one turn and expecting to stop a distal pulse is beyond amateur. I spent nearly ten years, 10 minutes a day, every day putting TQ’s on under time to full occlusion of upper and lower extremities- they suck, and it takes a lot to get full occlusion of a fit, muscular man’s thigh to stop a femoral bleed.

The ETQ is a bit more painful than a SOF-T wide, but I prefer it to a CAT Gen 7, as the CAT bunches up under the windlass and plastic piece and starts tearing tissue.

The first two points could change over time, and maybe those studies (which I believe the company says are in process) will be forthcoming. I’ve also read that the ToCCC doesn’t update recommendations very often, and is rumored to possibly not do it anymore.

The ETQ is not as “good” as the SOF-T wide. But, it is a legit TQ that so far- functions correctly, does not break, is easy and quick to apply, and is small and light enough to actually carry.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Hi Form, just checking - does all of that fit into the SG bottom pouch?

I have much of the same in the 'basement pocket' of an old AGC, but curious about the size/capacity of the SG (recently bought an SG in part because of your involvement/recommendation, but didn't end up with a bottom pocket).

Cheers!

It does. The orange pouch in the pocket has it.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

I am using the regular. The wider a TQ is, all else being equal, the better. However, there is a practicality portion that must be made. For me, when weight is not an absolute priority and use in myself is the task, I choose the SOF-T. When I may be able to use two hands- the SOF-T wide. When weight and size are critical- the ETQ.

fwafwow

WKR
It’s very simple and easy to see if a TQ is occluding a distal pulse. It doesn’t require a study. TQ’s are relatively simple items, and the ETQ is a variation of well known designs (versus say a RAT TQ).
I think more data is better, for me, and there are studies out there comparing ease of use and effectiveness, as examples based on memory, of other brands/types.

Snakestaff, fwiw, says the following on their site:

We’re currently working with several universities to conduct independent, published, clinical trials on our ETQs however none of them have concluded at the moment.

We will continue to pursue independent, third-party testing and publish the data as it becomes available, so customers can make their own informed decisions.

I get that you don’t think the above are necessary, and maybe the company is undergoing these studies without need, but I for one would like to see the results.

We’ll.. I’d be careful at looking at why one does or does not get TCCC approval.
Good point. I don’t trust an organization (especially the government) without some skepticism, so I’m looking into the guidelines, history, etc. I have some free time on my hands this evening.

I’m also looking into some of the other Snakestaff statements on their FAQ, including how often TCCC recommends devices, when the last one was done, etc.
For instance, they will not approve a 1” wide band, yet they do approve the CAT which is a 1” wide constricting band. And, they have “approved” CAT’s since the beginning even with overwhelming and easily verifiable breakages and lack of occlusion.
Good point about the 1” - which is one of the reasons I bought some of the ETQs.
The ETQ is not as “good” as the SOF-T wide. But, it is a legit TQ that so far- functions correctly, does not break, is easy and quick to apply, and is small and light enough to actually carry.
I don’t disagree. I just have erred on the side of older designs.