My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Did you replace the peizo on the jetboil, or just tape the cracked ceramic? I've just been using a BIC as my jetboil's igniter hasn't worked for years, it failed after just a few trips.

I replaced it 5 years ago or so.

FNG
Curious packwise:

It seems either the old school kifaru..straight jacket maybe? And the seek outside wingspan variety paired with some 60-80l dry bag 'fits' you style except the nalgene.

So has that been something you've tried and if so, what have been your critiques of it? That's essentially what Ive settled at, MR back strap + sts 65l + accessory strap setup for... accessories.

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
How do you dry out wet clothing, whether sweat or outside moisture if you don’t put dirty clothes in your sleeping bag/quilt?

What are your gear layout differences in K3 to K4 to SG R3 outside of main bag? I get your point on the open k3 side pockets vs k4 zippered during winter. In my mind, if the tripod is on the outside, strapped then I would put my puffys on that side zippered pocket since if I’m grabbing the puffys then I’m probably glassing (therefore tripod not falling on the ground). In the k3 were you stuffing the tripod and poles in the top loading side pockets? If that’s the case wouldn’t you be losing more space space since on the k4 they were outside of the side pockets. Hope this is making sense.. It feels convoluted. With SG, there is one zippered side pocket (worse than k4 if this is the case) so how come you like this layout better? Because you can add outside pockets per your picture?

I’m still new to backcountry gear and I know fjallraven is a reputable company but everything you initially read is never use cotton. Seeing that their pants are a cotton blend, how come this is not a concern? Because of the wax that is protecting the cotton or is there something different? I like their pocket layout function but this has held me up on buying.

Lastly (I think), what is your process with a hot tent in the winter? I used one for the first time this past fall and temps got down to -10f. I’m sure there’s a learning curve so I’m basing my questions around this only time using one. But I found it kinda of a pain to move camp withstove, cut wood, floorless with snow, and MAINLY going to bed with stove burning (feeling warm and layering for that) then waking up freezing shortly after because the stove went out. I’m curious how approach these topics.

I just found you on here on this gear topic and you’ve got some awesome info. Appreciate it!

Bravo Form!!! As usual, very nice of you to share your insight and knowledge! This proven gear list will help a lot of folks and save a lot of $ with trial and error! Many would pay for this kind of information!
I can’t help but find a little humor in thinking about all the guys running all over the place this fall in ventile cotton and wool duds, yak socks and new packs. And the grille! They will figure a way to have that ti model proudly displayed right next to their new rokstocked 6UM Tikkas! You have gained a well earned following!
Keep it coming!

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Curious packwise:

It seems either the old school kifaru..straight jacket maybe? And the seek outside wingspan variety paired with some 60-80l dry bag 'fits' you style except the nalgene.

No, I’m not sure what in my post would lead to that conclusion.

So has that been something you've tried and if so, what have been your critiques of it? That's essentially what Ive settled at, MR back strap + sts 65l + accessory strap setup for... accessories.

I have. That’s really a sack with stuff strapped to the outside. Not what I require.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How do you dry out wet clothing, whether sweat or outside moisture if you don’t put dirty clothes in your sleeping bag/quilt?

Stove generally.

What are your gear layout differences in K3 to K4 to SG R3 outside of main bag
I get your point on the open k3 side pockets vs k4 zippered during winter. In my mind, if the tripod is on the outside, strapped then I would put my puffys on that side zippered pocket since if I’m grabbing the puffys then I’m probably glassing (therefore tripod not falling on the ground).

You can put the puffies in the same side as the tripod, but that just means you are putting the bino/spotter on the rifle side, which you still have to get into. It doesn’t solve anything, and actually is more convoluted.

In the k3 were you stuffing the tripod and poles in the top loading side pockets?

Yes, or one in the side open top pocket and one in the water bottle packet held in by the side straps, or both tripod and hiking sticks in water bottle pocket and held by side straps.

If that’s the case wouldn’t you be losing more space space since on the k4 they were outside of the side pockets.

No. Because the bino/spotter fit in the front stretch pocket.

Hope this is making sense.. It feels convoluted. With SG, there is one zippered side pocket (worse than k4 if this is the case)

I’m not sure what you are talking about? There are no zippered side pockets on the SG R3 7000.

so how come you like this layout better? Because you can add outside pockets per your picture?

Yes. Because those side pockets are independent of the front zipped pocket, and are accessible with a single buckle being undone. Further, the side pockets strap the tripod very well.

I’m still new to backcountry gear and I know fjallraven is a reputable company but everything you initially read is never use cotton.

Depends on the cotton and the use. Also, most that repeat that as a truism for all layers/clothes/uses have never used it and experimented. I would not use cotton base layers. I generally wouldn’t use cotton mid layers in cold or cool weather. Some outside layers- depends on the cotton.

Seeing that their pants are a cotton blend, how come this is not a concern? Because of the wax that is protecting the cotton or is there something different? I like their pocket layout function but this has held me up on buying.

When they are waxed the cotton is waterproof. The vast majority of what is stated, wrote, and pandered about is done by people with little experience about what they are saying. A google to see where Fjallraven is located and which countries use their clothing, and what the weather is in those countries should be sufficient to cause a skeptical eye towards “common” knowledge.

Lastly (I think), what is your process with a hot tent in the winter? I used one for the first time this past fall and temps got down to -10f. I’m sure there’s a learning curve so I’m basing my questions around this only time using one. But I found it kinda of a pain to move camp withstove, cut wood, floorless with snow, and MAINLY going to bed with stove burning (feeling warm and layering for that) then waking up freezing shortly after because the stove went out. I’m curious how approach these topics.

Set tipi up, set stove up, break/gather wood, start fire. Unless now is only a couple of inches don’t clear it, just tamp it down.
The stove isn’t for keeping you warm while you sleep. It’s for comfort while you are awake and drying clothing/gear out. The fire is mostly out when I get in my bag, and just like any other tent, the bag is doing the insulating. Wake up and start fire if desired to warm up while eating breakfast, coffee, etc.

Last edited:

Firth

FNG
I’m still new to backcountry gear and I know fjallraven is a reputable company but everything you initially read is never use cotton. Seeing that their pants are a cotton blend, how come this is not a concern? Because of the wax that is protecting the cotton or is there something different? I like their pocket layout function but this has held me up on buying.
I tried the fjallraven pants based on recommendations here and like them quite a bit. Only real complaint for me is the fit. I had to go a size up in the waist in order to have them be big enough through the thighs. Maybe I have thunder thighs. I don't think I've seen anyone else complain about fit with them. If I could get the 36" thighs with the 34" waist, they would be perfect for me.

atmat

WKR
I tried the fjallraven pants based on recommendations here and like them quite a bit. Only real complaint for me is the fit. I had to go a size up in the waist in order to have them be big enough through the thighs. Maybe I have thunder thighs. I don't think I've seen anyone else complain about fit with them. If I could get the 36" thighs with the 34" waist, they would be perfect for me.
Humble brag, Adonis. Humble brag.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Pretty simple tailor job.

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
You can put the puffies in the same side as the tripod, but that just means you are putting the bino/spotter on the rifle side, which you still have to get into. It doesn’t solve anything, and actually is more convoluted

Gotcha, that makes sense. Have you thought about modifying a K3 bag to fit the K4 frame? I’m looking for a 6400 to do this to. K3 bag for winter applications makes a ton of sense after reading this.
I’m not sure what you are talking about? There are no zippered side pockets on the SG R3 7000.

I was looking at the wrong bag.

Depends on the cotton and the use. Also, most that repeat that as a truism for all layers/clothes/uses have never used it and experimented. I would not use cotton base layers. I generally wouldn’t use cotton mid layers in cold or cool weather. Some outside layers- depends on the cotton.

When they are waxed the cotton is waterproof. The vast majority of what is stated, wrote, and pandered about is done by people with little experience about what they are saying. A google to see where Fjallraven is located and which countries use their clothing, and what the weather is in those countries should be sufficient to cause a skeptical eye towards “common” knowledge.

This is why I was asking because I couldn’t imagine a reputable brand with use in extreme areas using a type of clothing that just flat out doesn’t work. It’s something that’s completely new to me but looked to be a solid option. Interesting how it doesn’t seem to be popular in the hunting US from what I’ve seen.

Set tipi up, set stove up, break/gather wood, start fire. Unless now is only a couple of inches don’t clear it, just tamp it down.
The stove isn’t for keeping you warm while you sleep. It’s for comfort while you are awake and drying clothing/gear out. The fire is mostly out when I get in my bag, and just like any other tent, the bag is doing the insulating. Wake up and start fire if desired to warm up while eating breakfast, coffee, etc.

This makes sense paired with your clothes drying and sleeping clothes. My mistake was relying on the stove for warmth while asleep. Got it

Thank you, I appreciate the thoughtful feedback

ehayes

FNG
Do the fjallraven pants lose any shape as In stretch out when worn for multiple days.

I’m thinking of the Prana Zion. I have really grown to dislike how much they lose their shape and stretch out when worn day after day. I’ve been wearing the Kuiu Kutana and they fit the exact same no matter how many days I wear them.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Gotcha, that makes sense. Have you thought about modifying a K3 bag to fit the K4 frame?

Yes, however haven’t got one modified.

This is why I was asking because I couldn’t imagine a reputable brand with use in extreme areas using a type of clothing that just flat out doesn’t work. It’s something that’s completely new to me but looked to be a solid option. Interesting how it doesn’t seem to be popular in the hunting US from what I’ve seen.

Hunting clothing in the US is mostly marketing driven by hunting clothing companies, and people that need “special” hunting pants to walk in the mountains.

FNG
No, I’m not sure what in my post would lead to that conclusion.

I have. That’s really a sack with stuff strapped to the outside. Not what I require.
Just seemed based on the packs and self stated 'what I'm looking for in a pack bag' alluded to that style.

I see now that's not the case.

@Formidilosus , I'm this close to fishnets. I run hot myself, and typically would just run a light merino hooded baselayer (e.g. Kuiu 145) until the 40s. So I anticipate tshirt use over long sleeve wool net a frequent pattern. How durable are they though? I hunt in TX with all types of vegetarian from soft to thorns. I imagine wool netting would catch on stuff frequently, or not be the best when e.g using elbows for shot positions. Is that when you'd throw the ventile wind [or other] layer on, to cover sleeves and elbows? Or am I not giving wool netting enough credit for durability.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus , I'm this close to fishnets. I run hot myself, and typically would just run a light merino hooded baselayer (e.g. Kuiu 145) until the 40s. So I anticipate tshirt use over long sleeve wool net a frequent pattern. How durable are they though? I hunt in TX with all types of vegetarian from soft to thorns. I imagine wool netting would catch on stuff frequently, or not be the best when e.g using elbows for shot positions. Is that when you'd throw the ventile wind [or other] layer on, to cover sleeves and elbows? Or am I not giving wool netting enough credit for durability.

It’s about the same as other wool baselayers for durability, sometimes it snags more, sometimes less. Anything thorny is going to tear or pick any base layer. That’s specify what the Ventile cotton jacket is for. That and keeping cactus thorns out of me.