My daily food

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of people wonder how to Eat Clean. So I thought I would log what I all day long for awhile. Give you all an idea what works for me.

Tonight I had a intra-workout protein drink.

For supper I had a grilled 7 oz Pork Loin and 1 cup of brown rice.

Starting tomorrow I will log all of my meals.

DEW

Lil-Rokslider
Good idea Les. How did you come to 7 oz of pork? Is there a formula you use to figure it or was that Just how moch you cut off?

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dew, my goal was for 6oz, but my cuts were just a bit big. It did work out ok though.

To explain how I eat. 5-7 meals per day, depending on how hungry I am, what my schedule allows and how everything falls into place.

Yes I do use a formula for calculating out what I eat. To maintain my body mass as is for my activity level I eat 3100 calories per day. Divided out that is roughly 500 calories per meal. Then I divide each "meal" into sections of Protein, Carbs, and Fats. These macronutrients are broken down a little differently per each meal as I use each meal to fuel what I will be doing for the next 2-3 hours. Before bed is always lean Protein.

Bearguide...no I wasn't "full"......that said I wasn't hungry so I know I had the right amount.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got to sleep in today, so breakfast wasn't until 7 am. 6 egg whites, 6oz of lean ground turkey, and one piece of whole wheat toast with Natural Peanut Butter. My midmorning snack is a Protein Bar and Rice Cake with Natural PB and Sugar Free Raspberry Jam.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
7 egg whites, 2 pieces of whole wheat toatst with natural PB breakfast.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have another use for the egg yolks, Les? I am a fan of egg whites, but always have a hard time coming up with a use for the yolks and hate to throw them out. I guess egg white egg beaters or similar product might be an option, but I am never totally sure what else they put in there and would really rather use the real thing if possible. Although they are higher in fat and cholesterol, the yolks are still a great source of protein and other nutrients I believe...

Yukondog

WKR
I read recently somewhere that yolks contain around 42% of the total nutritional value of a egg. Protein being the big contributor. I didn't pay to much attention to it so I may be off.

Matt

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I read recently somewhere that yolks contain around 42% of the total nutritional value of a egg. Protein being the big contributor. I didn't pay to much attention to it so I may be off.

Matt

yep, I eat it all. If you eat a clean diet, the extra cholesterol and fat won't matter. Exercise is key. If not you can always make a nice hollandaise sauce with it.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree Becca, at first it was tough "wasting" them. Now I just do throw them out. Many days I will eat more than a dozen eggs so no the yolks do matter to me. Egg whites only 6 days a week.

For morning snack a protein bar and rice cake. Lunch was WW spaghetti topped with tomato sauce/elk burger, and two pieces of whole wheat toast. Afternoon snack was a banana, an apple, and a rice cake. Protein drink while working out tonight, and elk burger for supper with sweet potato!

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
Les, What's your opinion of a snack an hour (or sometimes less) before bed? For the last 15 years or so, I've been eating right at a suggested serving of Cheerios or Wheaties with 1% milk. This keeps me in my desired calorie range so that's not an issue. I hear so many folks say that you shouldn't eat before bed but my theory is that my digestive furnace continues to burn while I'm at rest anyway. I feel this also primes me for my 0430 workout and is in line with my habit of eating (grazing) every 2-3 hours.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Les, What's your opinion of a snack an hour (or sometimes less) before bed? For the last 15 years or so, I've been eating right at a suggested serving of Cheerios or Wheaties with 1% milk. This keeps me in my desired calorie range so that's not an issue. I hear so many folks say that you shouldn't eat before bed but my theory is that my digestive furnace continues to burn while I'm at rest anyway. I feel this also primes me for my 0430 workout and is in line with my habit of eating (grazing) every 2-3 hours.

Agree with your thoughts. I would skip the carbs though and go all protein (or mostly). You are right about the furnace burning all night. Thing is your body needs protein about every 3-4 hours. By going all night without it the body starts to catabolize muscle to get the protein. I always end my night with some almonds, cottage cheese, yogurt/protein mix, small piece of chicken, turkey, elk.....some type of protein. The slower digesting the better.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday was 6 egg whites, 2 pieces of ww toast with Natural PB for breakfast.

Morning snack Protein Bar, Rice Cake, 3 oz of ground turkey.

Lunch 4 oz of Pork Loin, 1 medium sweet potato, 1 cup of green beans

Afternoon snack 1 cup strawberries, 1 Protein bar.

Supper 6oz of deer loin grilled, 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup grilled asparagus.

Last Snack of the evening 3 oz grilled loin, 1 piece of string cheese and one Dove Dark Chocolate.

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response Les although it took me some time to get back to the thread. I'll take your suggestion during this pre-hunt training period and see if I notice any difference. BTW- love the Dove Dark Chocolate!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Les/Becca

Sorry if I missed it, but why don't you guys eat the egg yokes??
Usually I do eat the egg yolks, but they are higher in fat and cholesterol than just the egg whites alone. When Les mentioned eating scrambled egg whites for breakfast, I asked him what he did with the yolks because I wondered if he had another use for them. Egg whites are a great source of lean protein, but I don't have them that often because I hate to toss the yolks out. Instead I try to eat whole eggs, but in moderation.

lab-roamer

Lil-Rokslider
Becca

Thanks for the relpy. I've read in the past where people didn't eat the yokes and always wondered why. IMO, they are the best part. My eggs come from my own free range chickens and they are way different than store bought eggs. Store bought eggs taste like rubber compared to free range.