Muzzleloader suggestions

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
I had that trouble with my old eyes too, until I had cataract surgery. Now I can use my open sights just fine on my levers and smoke poles. I'm 76 years young too. Maybe get your eyes checked.There could be help for you.
I cast and size all my own slugs and like you, I size to .460 on my bullets for my 45-70 Guide Gun. In fact, I size all my bullets for whatever caliber I am casting for at .002" over bore dia. With my muzzy's though,I just find the factory roundball that shoots the best out of them. I have several muzzleloaders but the Lyman Great Plains rifles I built from kits, I like the best and they shoot well. I don't shoot the front stuffers that much so I see no need to melt my pure lead for them. By the way, I have not had any trouble finding powder. It seems it has been being made more now.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I had that trouble with my old eyes too, until I had cataract surgery. Now I can use my open sights just fine on my levers and smoke poles. I'm 76 years young too. Maybe get your eyes checked.There could be help for you.
I cast and size all my own slugs and like you, I size to .460 on my bullets for my 45-70 Guide Gun. In fact, I size all my bullets for whatever caliber I am casting for at .002" over bore dia. With my muzzy's though,I just find the factory roundball that shoots the best out of them. I have several muzzleloaders but the Lyman Great Plains rifles I built from kits, I like the best and they shoot well. I don't shoot the front stuffers that much so I see no need to melt my pure lead for them. By the way, I have not had any trouble finding powder. It seems it has been being made more now.
Great, thanks much, really good to know.

My eyes - just old, need script glasses. The script I got was for a pair of progressives - I'd specifically told him what I was looking for, crystal clarity out to front post distance, with decent but not needing perfect clarity at target range - and he did a good job with it. Probably just have to get a pair I can trust in the field. I was looking for something like a "hunting prescription" setup, because I was not too keen on the idea of using regular glasses in the heavy demands of deep timber hunting, and having them crap out right when I needed them most.

Oddly enough, I've found cheap, low-power readers do a decent enough job. I should probably just work with my son's pellet gun and it's iron sights to make it work, then go from there. Nothing like iron sights on rifles that call for them, imo. Things of beauty,

MtnManTy

FNG
I am looking to purchase my first muzzleloader for hunting elk in Washington and was hoping to find people with experience using a Knight vs a CVA. I am new to the game and know very little about muzzleloaders. A friend of mine suggested I purchase the Knight Ultra Lite in 50 cal online. I went to a Muzzleloader store near me in hopes of actually getting to put my hands on one and found they don't carry any. The owner of the shop and long time muzzleloader hunter said that Knight's are pretty much obsolete and that they haven't made anything new in the last 4 to 5 years. He showed me the CVA's and I was kind of leaning towards the MRX but am unsure, especially with the collapsible ramrod. Not sure if that is a big deal having to carry it on you as opposed to it being attached to the rifle, as well as having to buy an extra to use for cleaning. I have tried to do some research and comparisons on both but am finding conflicting info such as quality issues with CVA. I would really like to hear recommendations from people who have had experience using the Knight and or CVA. Thanks in advance for the help.
FNG here, curious what you ended up going with? On the hunt for a new muzzy myself, so I've been pouring over the forum, any feedback appreciated!

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
FNG here, curious what you ended up going with? On the hunt for a new muzzy myself, so I've been pouring over the forum, any feedback appreciated!
It was in August when the OP was last on here so I think he just got what info he needed and bailed out. I'm sure he was grateful though. Said with tongue in cheek.

MtnManTy

FNG
It was in August when the OP was last on here so I think he just got what info he needed and bailed out. I'm sure he was grateful though. Said with tongue in cheek.
I was hoping that wasn't the case, but you never know... I'll probably start my own thread after I've done a bit more sleuthing. Appreciate the reply tho!

I was hoping that wasn't the case, but you never know... I'll probably start my own thread after I've done a bit more sleuthing. Appreciate the reply tho!
Look around here and then go over to a dedicated muzzy site like ModernMuzzleloader for good advice.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Muzzleloadingforum.com is another great site for gaining knowledge. Try there also. I think you will like it.

Muzzleloadingforum.com is another great site for gaining knowledge. Try there also. I think you will like it.
If you’re into percussion and flinters. Don’t make the mistake of mentioning inlines, sabots and Bh209 there!! Lol

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
anyone done the kimber woodrunner kit? I am fairly handy but never put a firearm or anything with this level of skill together so slightly worried I am about ruin an expensive venture

Stalker69

WKR
anyone done the kimber woodrunner kit? I am fairly handy but never put a firearm or anything with this level of skill together so slightly worried I am about ruin an expensive venture
I have not put a kibler ( I think you mean) kit together. But I have numerous other ones. And the kibler are cnc machined and way more
" prepped " then others. So I would think it would be a great one to do. I really want a kibler, but I really want another Hawken style rifle. He is supposedly working on one, but have been told on other sights, I will most likely be dead before they are avalible. He has videos of the whole process of putting one together, i would say check them out. This is the southern mountain rifle but the procedure would be the same.
list=PLAS2xA3BU0BkkETD6QAj007A9bNZTPuFx&si=qW8hEiJAGh0U5-dB

Last edited:

Yeticall

FNG
I would like to thank all of the respondents on this thread, I am in the same boat as the OP as I am in the market for a ML and know very little about them. Thanks again for your knowledge.