Muzzleloader - Help Wanted

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
1) Looking to purchase my first muzzleloader
2) not interested in an entry level POS! Looking at Mid-High end
3) Will be used in Oregon(no scope, open ignition, no plastic sabot), so must be legal.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^ is what I would suggest. It would be even better if it was stainless but I wouldn't shy away from a blued model. Field and Stream included this exact rifle in it's "100 best rifles of all time" list, some years ago. I have a few of them and they are a pleasure to shoot. So simple and accurate; especially with heavy lead, which is my preferred bullet as I hunt Colorado. White Muzzleloaders check all the boxes too, but they have developed a cult following as they are no longer made and command silly pricing these days. I have a few of them as well and they can't be beat for build quality and simple reliability and they are amazingly accurate with big conicals.

An Ultralite configured for Oregon would be an excellent choice as well...
I am definitely biased though...

Remember I am totally biased

50-Ultra-Lite.jpg

Knight Ultra Lite.

I started out with a the NECG-Weaver rear peep sight and the front sight was switched out to a Williams ramp setup.

Last edited:
OP
Carrot Farmer

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
No 11 cap, Triple7 loose powder, veggie fiber wad, 460 grain lead bullet from The Bull Shop. 80 grains measured by VOLUME, give or take, has been a good performer in my Knight MK85 and White rifles.
Sabotloader was kind enough to lend his thoughts and remarkable experience when I was climbing the learning curve regarding muzzleloaders. His advice has proven to be very helpful and saved me much time and money...
I hunt Colorado and have the option to use more modern bullets but heavy lead conicals and simple loads have proven less finicky and they work very well on elk at reasonable ranges,

SwiftShot

WKR
CVA wolf PNW version. Stupid simple but actually cheap rifle. I got one for my son. It will hold 1.5 moa. It is insanely accurate. It is also like 300 bucks. He has 4 bull elk on it now. Great rifle.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
No 11 cap, Triple7 loose powder, veggie fiber wad, 460 grain lead bullet from The Bull Shop. 80 grains measured by VOLUME, give or take, has been a good performer in my Knight MK85 and White rifles.
Sabotloader was kind enough to lend his thoughts and remarkable experience when I was climbing the learning curve regarding muzzleloaders. His advice has proven to be very helpful and saved me much time and money...
I hunt Colorado and have the option to use more modern bullets but heavy lead conicals and simple loads have proven less finicky and they work very well on elk at reasonable ranges,
Thanks. I’ve got a TC Triumph, TC contender and a renegade. I’m looking at burning my points on an Oregon muzzy hunt and trying to figure whether I can use any of the above or should I buy a knight. Oregon aside I’ve been looking at a knight. The learning curve on muzzleloader is steep for sure

Kynoch

FNG
If you can find RWS No 11 caps it will be worth the effort. They burn hot and have never had one not go off. Can’t say the same with all brands that I’ve used in the past. Enjoy!

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ive owned CVA traditions and settled for Knight ULTRA LITE live on the east side of state .Have harvested 5 elk sincce switching from rifle late season to Muzzle loader 6 years ago my first season was wirth a CVA ACCURA V2 hated it my family hunts with me they use CVA aCCURA, the bought them them cheap and used used We resize the bullets because barrels bore sizes are different .498 to .502 from 3 guns not good brother in law sent his .498 in to get fixed got gun and letter back from CVA that said they recommend shooting POWER BELTS not legal in Oregon .bad news they mailed it to Oregon . Ihave bullet resizer and we legally shoot Hornady 350 gr FPB bullets