Muzzleloader Cleaning w/ Blackhorn 209

gtriple

WKR
I want to make sure I'm cleaning my Knights Ultralight correctly when using Blackhorn 209.

I'm using Hoppes #9 as the solvent, but I'm not sure if I need to apply a rust inhibitor to the bore after cleaning. And then if I do apply a rust inhibitor, should I run an alcohol patch through the barrel immediately prior to loading?

This is my method of cleaning - it is easy!!!

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

RagnCajn

FNG
In my experience, BH 209 doesn't draw moisture from the air, certainly not to the extent of black powder or substitutes. I've left mine dirty for days with no signs of rust, albeit mine is a nitride barrel so that could be a contributing factor. Light coating of oil and then a couple dry patches or an alcohol patch prior to loading should be sufficient. No need for a specific "rust inhibitor".

Long term, BH 209 is corrosive. If left in the barrel for long periods of time it will pit the bore. My cleaning process is similar to others above. Windex or #9 to remove fouling, alcohol or brake cleaner to remove residue, oil to prevent corrosion. When getting it ready to hunt/shoot, another alcohol or brake cleaner patch to remove the oil.

Grillnugz

FNG
I use the Montana extreme 209 specific cleaner/solvent followed by their bore conditioning oil. Cleaning after every shooting session, including firing pin assy on my break action CVA. When I shoot my muzzleloader at the range I’ll usually shoot 10-20 shots.

The 209 cleaner is very different than hoppes, it’s much more watery. To be honest, a specific solvent probably isn’t necessary but I like being fancy.

I think this method was recommended by blackhorn on their old website, now that it has merged with hodgdon I can’t find this info anymore.

I've left my nitrided CVA Accura loaded and/or dirty between seasons, and I've never had a spec of rust or pitting inside or outside it. This gun has never shot anything but BH209. I hunt late season in IA where temps can be from 40 to -20 with windchill or colder.

When I do clean it I use the BH209 specific cleaner after a good scrub with a wire brush. I run patch, flip it over, run it again, and continue this process until they're more or less clean. I finish with an oil patch, and put it away until the next time to shoot.

Before a range session or hunt, I fire a couple primers on an empty chamber to burn off any moisture. Been doing that for 20+ years with every muzzleloader since my first Knight.

When I used T7 pellets, I didn't use solvents. I took the barrel or barreled action and stuck the muzzle into boiling water. Then I ran patches back and forth, and the vacuum created sucked the boiling water all the way to the breach. This would get the barrel sparkling clean, and the combination of very hot steel and boiling water evaporated residual moisture quickly. When the patches ran clean, the entire unit got dried and oiled before putting into the safe. Never had any rust issues with this method.