Must have for cleaning optics

I have a newer set of 10x42slc and kowa 883 spotter. What should I buy for cleaning the glass?

OP
Mdfowlman2
it's likely preferable to never get it dirty in the first place and always use the covers.
But at least something like this Vortex lens pen, in case of emergency:

Never get them dirty in the first place? Explain how one would hunt multiple elk seasons in the west and deer seasons in the east and never get the glass slightly dirty?
Binos stay in a enclosed marsupial harness, spotter has lense covers on and a stay one neoprene cover. They still get dusty during use

Never get them dirty in the first place? Explain how one would hunt multiple elk seasons in the west and deer seasons in the east and never get the glass slightly dirty?
Binos stay in a enclosed marsupial harness, spotter has lense covers on and a stay one neoprene cover. They still get dusty during use
Yea if you are using optics they will get dirty. I use canned air, lens pen brush to get anything off the air didn’t, then Zeiss lens cleaning wipes.

wapitibob

WKR
Nothing, use the water faucet.
Shine a flashlight thru the optic in a dark room and look at the opposite lens to see how bad they’re really scratched.

Good cleaning: I use a blow dryer and a pen brush.
Follow that with scotch tape to remove any loose debris and/or dust that I can't see.
Lastly, I will clean with a lens solution and chem wipe.

Field I just use the pen brush and tape. I would only use solution and cloth, in the field, if the smear is visualized when glassing.

OP
Mdfowlman2
Nothing, use the water faucet.
Shine a flashlight thru the optic in a dark room and look at the opposite lens to see how bad they’re really scratched.
Luckily no scratches, they’ve actually never been wiped with anything. The binos just have some dust on them from our humid air causing the dust to stick the the glass

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
Be very careful with canned air, if you shake or tip the can it will spray very cold liquid which could damage your coatings. I second water rinsing your glass follow up with wet cotton balls using no pressure swab the lense as you rinse, finally rinse with distilled water and blot dry leaves no spots and no damage to coatings.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Luckily no scratches, they’ve actually never been wiped with anything. The binos just have some dust on them from our humid air causing the dust to stick the the glass

I would never wipe alpha glass with anything. Lens pens and wipes will drag particles across the glass.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, I learned about rinsing the glass first then while still rinsing using swabs, and no pressure on them, I go the extra step of turning the swab over for the next pass then a new swab etc. I learned this cleaning first surfice mirrors used in telescopes as their coatings are very delicate, of course don't do this if your optics aren't waterproof.

Last edited:

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever use a camera shop and have them professionally cleaned? I would think they have the tools/chemicals to do the job right. I’m thinking of doing this before the big hunt this year unless someone advises against it???

Be very careful with canned air, if you shake or tip the can it will spray very cold liquid which could damage your coatings. I second water rinsing your glass follow up with wet cotton balls using no pressure swab the lense as you rinse, finally rinse with distilled water and blot dry leaves no spots and no damage to coatings.
I like the distilled water idea. I scratched up a few optics really bad with a Leupold lens pen so don't ever plan on using anything like that again. Done tap water but leaves the spots, never thought of distilled (I can do RO/DI since I'm in to aquariums).

amassi

WKR
More hiking and less atv/side by side road hunting helps

I use the zeiss lens spray and cloth to clean debris/dust

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Quality optics don't scratch that easily if cleaned properly. Getting dust off via a soft brush or soft air puffs and then cleaning the lenses with a high quality lens solution and lens cloth will keep you in business. In the field I carry a small brush and a lens cloth but only use them if the optics become unusable. In all the years I've carried that kit in the field, I've only had to use it once or twice because my optics can stay fairly clean with covers in place and a good chest rig.

LensPen.
Don't use force....Brush lightly.
Remember, dust is grit (at least where I hunt) and any force you apply is the equivalent of scuffing with sandpaper.
Blow off whatever you can then lightly brush the lens surface.
Use cleaner only as necessary.