Murphy precision titanium rails?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
it is probably aluminum is my guess.
Yes. It is aluminum. I was all set to order a Murphy precision but right now I just can’t justify the cost/weight of it. The guys I know with warne mountain tech stuff seem to really like it so I think I’m just going to go with that.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. It is aluminum. I was all set to order a Murphy precision but right now I just can’t justify the cost/weight of it. The guys I know with warne mountain tech stuff seem to really like it so I think I’m just going to go with that.
I am sure that will work fine!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am sure that will work fine!
I’m sure it will too. In your opinion, what is the benefit of a Murphy precision rail? I really wanted one but it’s 2x the weight and 3x the cost of another rail that’s been proven to be a solid choice. But my not bashing the rail, it’s an honest question. I’m just shocked by the weight.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure it will too. In your opinion, what is the benefit of a Murphy precision rail? I really wanted one but it’s 2x the weight and 3x the cost of another rail that’s been proven to be a solid choice. But my not bashing the rail, it’s an honest question. I’m just shocked by the weight.
I have a lone peak razor ti short mag action and wanted to use Hawkins hybrid but with the directional set up for those I don’t have enough mounting space for the nxs 2.5-10x42. There are limited options for rails for lone peak, his have great reviews and he was helpful on the phone. He said total weight was just over 3oz. The rail itself is 2.7. I would guess most rail weights are not including hardware.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a lone peak razor ti short mag action and wanted to use Hawkins hybrid but with the directional set up for those I don’t have enough mounting space for the nxs 2.5-10x42. There are limited options for rails for lone peak, his have great reviews and he was helpful on the phone. He said total weight was just over 3oz. The rail itself is 2.7. I would guess most rail weights are not including hardware.
Good point on the hardwear and finding rails for non standard actions. Especially shorter scopes like the 2.5-10nxs. That’s why iM looking for a rail. I want to put my shv 3-10 on my Kimber 300wm, can’t do it with 2 piece mounts, I’m about an 1/8th of an inch too long on the action.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Good point on the hardwear and finding rails for non standard actions. Especially shorter scopes like the 2.5-10nxs. That’s why iM looking for a rail. I want to put my shv 3-10 on my Kimber 300wm, can’t do it with 2 piece mounts, I’m about an 1/8th of an inch too long on the action.
I originally had the 3-10 SHV but it was short and heard the NXS was slightly longer with a bit more eye relief, so tried that, now switching to a rail. I am saving 3 oz from SHV to NXS, so will probably be a wash overall. Thankfully NF have good resale:) But this project has started to add up!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I originally had the 3-10 SHV but it was short and heard the NXS was slightly longer with a bit more eye relief, so tried that, now switching to a rail. I am saving 3 oz from SHV to NXS, so will probably be a wash overall. Thankfully NF have good resale:) But this project has started to add up!
I had the NXS for awhile and wish I’d held on to it. It’s a good scope and worth jumping through some hoops to get it mounted the way you want. I like the shv for a durable set and forget scope but it’s not as nice as the nxs.

SDHNTR

WKR
Murphy is good for custom and oddball stuff that is hard to get conventional rails for. Or if someone specifically wants titanium.

One thing you may have missed with that previous pic of the rail on the scale, it included the packaging, the hardware and the wrench. The rail alone is going to weigh a lot less, probably more comparable to an aluminum rail like a Warne. Which really isn’t a fair comparison with titanium too, imo.

SDHNTR

WKR
I had the NXS for awhile and wish I’d held on to it. It’s a good scope and worth jumping through some hoops to get it mounted the way you want. I like the shv for a durable set and forget scope but it’s not as nice as the nxs.
My thoughts also, between those two.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Murphy is good for custom and oddball stuff that is hard to get conventional rails for. Or if someone specifically wants titanium.

One thing you may have missed with that previous pic of the rail on the scale, it included the packaging, the hardware and the wrench. The rail alone is going to weigh a lot less, probably more comparable to an aluminum rail like a Warne. Which really isn’t a fair comparison with titanium too, imo.
Is the titanium stronger than aluminum? Now that it’s been pointed out that the weight gap is smaller than I’d thought it sort of back on the table as an option.