Murphy precision titanium rails?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I emailed him to see what he thinks. He didn’t get back to me yet. I emailed Ken Farrell like a week ago…and he still hasn’t gotten back to me.

I should have let them know I’m a WKRr.
Just got notice that my second titanium pic rail is on the way from Murphy. He’s been extremely responsive to me by email, but maybe he knows I’m a WKR and likes my meme game.

SDHNTR

WKR
I emailed him to see what he thinks. He didn’t get back to me yet. I emailed Ken Farrell like a week ago…and he still hasn’t gotten back to me.

I should have let them know I’m a WKRr.
I get the feeling Farrell is old school. Look at his website! No excuses, but a phone call might work better.

I’ve also called Murphy too and he’s very helpful and friendly on the phone.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just got notice that my second titanium pic rail is on the way from Murphy. He’s been extremely responsive to me by email, but maybe he knows I’m a WKR and likes my meme game.
Can you let him know that I’m also a WKR? I don’t think he knows who I am.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I get the feeling Farrell is old school. Look at his website! No excuses, but a phone call might work better.

I’ve also called Murphy too and he’s very helpful and friendly on the phone.
I think you’re right, I guess my main question to him was about his rail but I’m going a different direction with the rail, I think I feel fine about ordering the rings without any questions or concerns.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How long did it take to make it? Did you get anything special or is it just the way he normally makes them?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
How long did it take to make it? Did you get anything special or is it just the way he normally makes them?
Ordered on 1/15 and I got notice it was shipped on 1/23. I don’t know if it was special, but since it was for a Cooper rifle (with 6-48, which I understand is an older model), I expect he had to make it as opposed to having it on hand.

Hey guys -- just got a google notification about this thread, and thought I'd pop in and say "Hi". I'm a one-man show over at Murphy Precision, so it gets a little crazy at times. To answer some of the previous questions:

1) Titanium is 40% lighter than steel / stainless steel, while being just as hard and strong. It is however still 60% heavier than aluminum. (But 3x stronger). Steel is 180% heavier than aluminum. (All for the same size / volume of material)

2) I don't charge extra for doing custom bases if it's something I *might* sell again to someone else. If it's something really off the wall, or very esoteric, then there may be an additional fee for the extra programming/setup work. Taller, or longer bases than normal will also cost more for the extra material, and longer machine time.

3) Lead times are generally a day or two for in-stock items (Most T3x bases, Remington 700, Savage, Christensen Arms, a few others in stainless and popular slopes.) Everything else is machined to order, and runs between 3 and 7 days on average. (I've been at about 4-5 days the last month or two.)

4) I try to answer the phone whenever I'm not in the middle of sandblasting, or doing Cerakote. If it goes to voicemail, it may be a few days before I get a chance to check them and return calls.

5) I *try* to answer emails every evening, but there are times when it may be 3-4 days if I'm really slammed. (My wife likes it if I come home occasionally :) If I haven't gotten back to you by then, I might have overlooked your email in all the spam I get, and I don't mind if you shoot me a reminder.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or if there are any bases you're looking for that I don't offer.

SDHNTR

WKR
Hey guys -- just got a google notification about this thread, and thought I'd pop in and say "Hi". I'm a one-man show over at Murphy Precision, so it gets a little crazy at times. To answer some of the previous questions:

1) Titanium is 40% lighter than steel / stainless steel, while being just as hard and strong. It is however still 60% heavier than aluminum. (But 3x stronger). Steel is 180% heavier than aluminum. (All for the same size / volume of material)

2) I don't charge extra for doing custom bases if it's something I *might* sell again to someone else. If it's something really off the wall, or very esoteric, then there may be an additional fee for the extra programming/setup work. Taller, or longer bases than normal will also cost more for the extra material, and longer machine time.

3) Lead times are generally a day or two for in-stock items (Most T3x bases, Remington 700, Savage, Christensen Arms, a few others in stainless and popular slopes.) Everything else is machined to order, and runs between 3 and 7 days on average. (I've been at about 4-5 days the last month or two.)

4) I try to answer the phone whenever I'm not in the middle of sandblasting, or doing Cerakote. If it goes to voicemail, it may be a few days before I get a chance to check them and return calls.

5) I *try* to answer emails every evening, but there are times when it may be 3-4 days if I'm really slammed. (My wife likes it if I come home occasionally :) If I haven't gotten back to you by then, I might have overlooked your email in all the spam I get, and I don't mind if you shoot me a reminder.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or if there are any bases you're looking for that I don't offer.
Oh boy! This site has a way of rewarding responsive and conscientious business owners like you who care enough to show up here. Be prepared for a barrage of new business! You may not be able to remain a one-man shop for much longer.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody have one of these? I’m still looking for a light but durable setup for my Kimber 8400 and that Murphy Ti rail looks pretty great. I’d either use Ken Farrell or nightforce ultralight rings.

Is that rail worth the he price?

Thanks!
Yes. They are worth the price. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. I had Cameron make one for my Barrett Fieldcraft and it was absolutely perfect.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Thanks for posting here!!! I'm going to order one soon.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved

Man - you rule. What else can I buy from you? Make up some new stuff. Will you do rings again?

Cameron is under-promising. He’s answered several emails the same or next day, and I’m pretty sure that includes on a weekend and/or on a holiday. That of course doesn’t mean that’s the norm - hence under-promising.

Man - you rule. What else can I buy from you? Make up some new stuff. Will you do rings again?

Cameron is under-promising. He’s answered several emails the same or next day, and I’m pretty sure that includes on a weekend and/or on a holiday. That of course doesn’t mean that’s the norm - hence under-promising.
I'd like to do rings again at some point, but the way I was cutting them with a wire EDM machine, they just took way too long. For now, I'm barely keeping up with the bases. I've got some thoughts on how I can get them investment cast, but that's a ways out at best.

kurtiss00

FNG
so I'd like to give a thumbs up to Murphy Precision, they have so many rails for different models it's amazing. I've ordered one for my Sako A7 (permanently bedded now) and for the longest time I've wanted a Winchester 1885, but hesitated due to limited mounting options. After I saw this thread I looked at his website and saw what has been holding me back: a excellent rail for an 1885.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
3.2 oz still in plastic with included hardware and Allen wrench. APA low aluminum 30mm were 3.7 oz all in as well. SA razor ti E3C95D0D-3F82-4777-A569-9B591B827B13.jpeg

Last edited: