Multi-tool

bama85

FNG
Looking into picking up a multi-tool for hunting/backpack. Thinking about the Leatherman free p4 or the surge. Is there another brand I should look at? What does everyone else use?

I don’t have a ton of experience with different multitools, but for a high quality, small, light multitool, I think it would be hard to beat the SOG Powerpint. Love the one I have. I also have a bigger SOG for around the house/camp that I am also very happy with.

I’ve taken an old Leatherman Wave that I got for high school graduation around the planet several times with me. It is sentimental for sure. If I wasn’t using it I’d get one of their skeletools which are lighter and have maybe a better set of tool without doubling up (how many flat heads do you need in the back country?).

I’ve also used a Gerber a bunch as they’re an issued item. They work but their pliers suck, accessing the tools is subpar, and they put the knife blade facing the wrong direction… and keep doing it year after year.

Carrying the Wave+ on my belt everyday and it gets used more than once each day. Not sure if the Skeletool would be that much lighter/better but I love the knifes,saw and file on the wave!

I bring a leatherman squirt ps4 backpack hunting, it’s small, light, and super useful. I would want to carry around a larger one like the Wave personally. I have a Wave but keep it in the truck.

I've carried the leatherman wingman for EDC for a few years now and love it. This has been my favorite out of the others that I have carried since the pliers are spring-action. I also have a wave and a skeletool that I like but it can be a pain trying to use the pliers one handed in an awkward spot since they do not have the spring-action pliers.

Im a big multitool fan and carry one everyday for work. I had the p4 and really liked the free technology on it. Unfortunately I lost it and the p4 is actually discontinued. At the time when I went to replace it they were unavailable everywhere (noticed there are some on amazon now) so I replaced it with the arc. While it is stupid expensive I like the tool configuration a lot better than the p4 and have no regrets in buying it. For backpacking though I usually bring a mini multi tool that cost $5 bucks from cabelas. I like having scissors and small pliers but have found that the weight of a full size multi tool isn't really worth how much I use it I the backcountry.

I have a few Gerber's and a few Leatherman's
I like the Gerbers but they are damned heavy. The center drive is like a real screwdriver

Leatherman wingman is a perfect EDC tool, I like it better than the skell tool.
Wave should cover most uses for anybody ( I have an original)
Bout the only knock I give LM and its a personal one. I don't need 3 or 4 knife/saw blades.

I have a wave and a sidekick. I really like the sidekick. Small and spring loaded. I normally leave the wave in camp and carry the smaller tool much more often.

Back