Mule deer reading

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I listened to a podcast a while back that @robby denning was a guest on where he listed off a bunch of great books to read on mule deer. I wrote down a list from his suggestions but I can’t find it to save my life and I don’t remember the podcast. I’ve got both of his books, the edge, and hunting open country mule deer by Dwight Schuh so far. Does anybody happen to know what podcast I’m talking about or any good reading suggestions? I enjoy reading a book rather than scrolling through stuff on my phone if I can. Thanks in advance for any help!

PNWGATOR

WKR

Blood in the Tracks: A Mule Deer Manifesto by Jim Collyer
Blood in the Tracks: A Mule Deer Manifesto https://a.co/d/d6ENskA

2nd vote for this. Some of his personal philosophies get a little out there once in a while but the vast majority of the book it’s great info for finding and hunting big bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
David Long wrote a book that was good. Public Land Mulies - He has a packing list.

Eastmans have a book or two. High Country and Mule Deer Tactics

Robby on here has a book - I'm up to the exercise part. He has a nice tone so far.

Lot more books available these days - if you learn one unique thing from each, you're doing good. The thing I didn't expect when I went on my mule deer hunt was the number of people.

Love V. Geist book, while not a hunting book it is great for UNDERSTANDING mulies. Cam Hanes book has some good advice on the mental game of backpack hunting. Jim Zumbo's book is a good all around tactics for hunting mulies. I especially like David Long's Public Land Mulies. Lots of good ones out there. Great Deer of the West, Idaho's greatest mule deer, Boone and Crockett's mule deer retrospective...

OP
mikeafeagin22

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a running list of all the books mentioned on here! Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m currently rereading all four of these at the moment then I’ve got “hunting high country mule deer” and “blood in the tracks” up next. Looking forward to learning something new from all of them

Attachments

• 040932A4-D18B-432F-8CC0-6CE1DD1B70A6.jpeg
    040932A4-D18B-432F-8CC0-6CE1DD1B70A6.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 69
Deer of the Southwest by Jim Heffelfinger is great in the biology/ecology/history of mule deer and cous in the sw.

So You Want to Hunt the West for Mule Deer by Dan Branagan is good too

Also I’ll use google scholar to look up lots of scientific journal articles. Even better if you can find stuff specific to the state or at least type if habitat you plan on hunting

GMiller

FNG
I am new on here and to western deer hunting so I appreciate all the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will really enjoy Robby’s books. :)

Does Tony have any books yet? I’m about done with my current books so I should pick up a hunting one just to annoy the wife more!

TX_Diver

WKR
I finished @robby denning book about 2 weeks ago and really liked it. Working on Dwight Schuh's "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" right now also and have Geist's book at home on the shelf to flip through too.

Robby's book was a great all encompassing book about different strategies, etc. Dwight's book has some really in depth chapters on planning a stalk, how he moves, etc. Neither has answered every single question I have about deer hunting, but it'd probably take a few volumes to cover all that stuff!

I also ordered a copy of "The Edge" but it's been slow to ship. I ordered from themuledeerhunter.com about 1 week ago and the order just changed to "processing" today. We'll see if the book shows up. It was significantly cheaper than everywhere else though so fingers crossed.

Following this thread for more suggestions.