MTNTOUGH On-Ramp Program

madgrad02

WKR
Week 1 in the books... W1D1 (x2 Mon and Tues), W1D2 (x2 Wed and Thur), and got the W1D3 in today (and will try to double up on that tomorrow if the kids allow). Now that spring is finally here in Wisco (maybe), time to start the rucking as well as cycling a bit - wife works opposite schedule on the weekends, so likely towing kids in a bike trailer (or whatever they are called)... I just HATE running so much and never did enjoy it - even when I was an in-shape high school wrestler (100lbs and 25 years or so ago).
Let the couch to Colorado adventure continue - 43 years old and my first elk hunt as motivation!

Last edited:

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Finished On Ramp this morning. I was planning on moving on to the foundation program, but some of these workouts made me sore enuf I think I should redo it. Gonna run on the off days amd might try some of their minimal gear dailys.

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve been using MTNTOUGH for about 10 weeks now. Started with the minimal gear foundation program and now the minimal gear daily workouts. Really happy on the progress so far and how much work you can get done in 30 minutes with minimal gear. Going to start the KB 20 program next week.
KB20 is an awesome program. You will love it. We are going to update it later this summer as well, so you will have to tell us what you think of the version now and then the new version. Feedback is really important. Stoked to see what you think!

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Finished On Ramp this morning. I was planning on moving on to the foundation program, but some of these workouts made me sore enuf I think I should redo it. Gonna run on the off days amd might try some of their minimal gear dailys.
There's going to be another on-ramp program releasing next week on the 6th. From what you're saying I think we have something really cool for you coming up. Where the on ramp program you completed was a body weight only program this one will be On-Ramp Minimal Gear. Stay tuned! You should try that one if you have some dumbbells and a cooler. We will post that program in here so you can access it when we launch it.

madgrad02

WKR
Wk2D1 (rds 1 and 2 for Mon and repeated again today) in the books...so many lunges 🥵 - though seem to get a few more reps in every set. Actually got the Mrs to start on-ramp too... guessing we'll continue past on-ramp and free trial.

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
There's going to be another on-ramp program releasing next week on the 6th. From what you're saying I think we have something really cool for you coming up. Where the on ramp program you completed was a body weight only program this one will be On-Ramp Minimal Gear. Stay tuned! You should try that one if you have some dumbbells and a cooler. We will post that program in here so you can access it when we launch it.
@Big_wals here's that link to the new onramp program that incorporates dumbells and a step up or cooler: https://mtntough.com/pages/on-ramp-minimal-gear

madgrad02

WKR
Got all of wk2 done last week (d1x2 and d2x2, d3x1). Liking it, purchases the year-long membership. I'm still not flying through on-ramp, so here I am, starting the program over a second time... wk1d1 in the books (yet again!) 🥵

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
@madgrad02 great to hear you committed to the year long membership and are liking the programing. We just finished and released a new onramp program that incorporates dumbells and a step up box if you're interested in using some equipment instead of just body weight. Which would be a good next step after you completed Body Weight OnRamp - https://lab.mtntough.com/minimal-gear-on-ramp

madgrad02

WKR
@madgrad02 great to hear you committed to the year long membership and are liking the programing. We just finished and released a new onramp program that incorporates dumbells and a step up box if you're interested in using some equipment instead of just body weight. Which would be a good next step after you completed Body Weight OnRamp - https://lab.mtntough.com/minimal-gear-on-ramp
Haha - Yeah, plan to grab some dumbbells or kettlebells and made myself a 16/20/24 plyo box over the weekend... for now, my large American-self is sufficient weight! :ROFLMAO:

madgrad02

WKR
Wk1 of my second time through BW on-ramp in the books. Figure I'll keep posting here, at least to hold myself accountable. Mixed in a with karate class with the kids and starting some ruck training, definitely feeling better. Wish the scale showed more progress, but all in due time. Definitely an improvement in my balance with core work and at least getting the reps completeld in (about) the same timeframe as Sarah in the program. Thanks for the assistance.

madgrad02

WKR
Wrapped up week 2 of my second round of mtntough body weight on-ramp program... built a plyo box and tomorrow I will kick off the minimal gear in-ramp program. Wish the scales showed more progress, but down 15 lbs in 2 months. On a better diet with the wife, supplementing with protein shakes in between meals has curbed most of my snacking. Long ways to go I feel, but definitely headed in the right direction.

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Wrapped up week 2 of my second round of mtntough body weight on-ramp program... built a plyo box and tomorrow I will kick off the minimal gear in-ramp program. Wish the scales showed more progress, but down 15 lbs in 2 months. On a better diet with the wife, supplementing with protein shakes in between meals has curbed most of my snacking. Long ways to go I feel, but definitely headed in the right direction.
Keep it up! Trust the process! You're on the right path. Mimimal gear onramp will be awesome.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve done the original programs years ago for pre/post season, got off the gym w/covid using at home stuff, and now back at the gym. Love the new Mtn Tough “live” programs.

I’ve done on ramp body weight a couple times this spring along with running and rucking, and am on 2nd week of MG Foundation right now. I use the PT and Mobility stuff as well. Can’t say enough good things. The On Ramp concept is such a good way to get into this stuff, builds a good foundation, and doesn’t take a ton of time.

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve done the original programs years ago for pre/post season, got off the gym w/covid using at home stuff, and now back at the gym. Love the new Mtn Tough “live” programs.

I’ve done on ramp body weight a couple times this spring along with running and rucking, and am on 2nd week of MG Foundation right now. I use the PT and Mobility stuff as well. Can’t say enough good things. The On Ramp concept is such a good way to get into this stuff, builds a good foundation, and doesn’t take a ton of time.
What I like to hear man. Glad you're liking it. We really like to hear folks are using multiple facets of MTNTOUGH It's the best way to do it. Stay tuned for a new pre season program. 2.0 launches may 1! It's a huge improvement on an already amazing program. We've been working on it for years.

madgrad02

WKR
Wk1 of the MG On-Ramp in the books. Started rucking with a pack and 40#s of solar salt in my Metcalf as well a few times this week - last was yesterday pushing the kids in a stroller to boot. Little by little.
Side question, I am attempting to keep track of what I eat and exercise in MyFitnessPal. There is a pack rucking in the cardio exercise portion, but what weights would typically qualify as light/medium/heavy pack? Hoping the 40# falls into the med category.
Maybe it is just me contributing to this thread, but even typing the work I have done makes me feel better. Scales don't show a ton of progress, but down a pant size already, but feel like that spare tire is getting distributed elsewhere as muscle, etc.! All the core work has helped a lot with balance and such.
Thanks for all the support! :D(y)

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey there @madgrad02! Here's the MTNTOUGH pack weight suggestions for rucking or our heavy pack workout programs, like HP20 or HP45-70.

MTNTOUGH Pack Weight Suggestions:
Male:
Beginner - 30-40 lbs
Intermediate - 40-50 lbs
Expert - 50-70 lbs

Female:
Beginner - 10-20 lbs
Intermediate - 20-30 lbs
Expert - 30-50 lbs

Keep up the awesome work! Nice work! Love hearing about the progress!

Started with a 45-70 program back in January at 93kg/205lbs. Finished the 45-70 program just at the start of March. Done Phil's mental toughness training, all the stretching and mobility and nutrition training. Now am doing a modified strong lifts 5*5 to raise my barbell compound movements strength along with a continuing MTN tough pullup progression and long distance running. Now sitting at 78.8kgs/173.7lbs. Cheers for the awesome programs.

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Started with a 45-70 program back in January at 93kg/205lbs. Finished the 45-70 program just at the start of March. Done Phil's mental toughness training, all the stretching and mobility and nutrition training. Now am doing a modified strong lifts 5*5 to raise my barbell compound movements strength along with a continuing MTN tough pullup progression and long distance running. Now sitting at 78.8kgs/173.7lbs. Cheers for the awesome programs.
Bad as man. That's some crazy good progress. The mental toughness course is a game changer. I bet you'll pack on some muscle weight with what you're doing in the next few months. We drop a new program on Monday that you might be interested. So watch out for that!

Bad as man. That's some crazy good progress. The mental toughness course is a game changer. I bet you'll pack on some muscle weight with what you're doing in the next few months. We drop a new program on Monday that you might be interested. So watch out for that!
Cheers. I'm still running in a caloric deficit and am aiming for the low 70kg/155 lb range. I'm only 175cm/5"9'. I just find strictly training for hypertrophy with alot of isolation movement to not help me much in my back country performance. Idea behind implementing the strong lifts was to keep power to weight ratio higher.

Are you taking about the the preseason prep 2.0 by any chance?