MTN TOUGH Backcountry Hunting Postseason Program Thread

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well,

I began the program this morning with Week 1 Day 1:

Modified 22s.
This was a butt-kicker for sure, but not quite the demoralizer the original 22s was.

Max heart rate was 158.

Not too fast at 51 minutes.

We will see how sore I am in the morning!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just did my first day.... good Lord. I’m still not a fan of the 22’s! My legs are definitely going to be sore in the morning. I’m really looking forward to how this whole post season program is going to make me feel moving on into the backcountry hunter program.

I didn’t time myself but I’m sure it wasn’t fast. I’ll try to remember to do that tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this program when it first came out. Kicked my butt! In fact I ended up with such horrible chin splints I had to bail. Not for this fat, old guy!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 1 Day 2: “The long haul”

This one was pretty enjoyable, but my usual nemesis burpees burned me out pretty good.

It was a circuit for time:

f31ded44d5fb9e56a8fffed0ac1ec046.jpg

Not sure if that’s good or not, but I put what I had into it.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 1 day 2 for me:

I was at about 40 minutes. The burpees wrecked me after about 12 and the toes to bar are not at all easy to do.

Feels great to be back exercising though. I see the 22’s are again tomorrow and I’ll say I’m not super pumped about it! Haha.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 1 Day 3:

Another variation of the 22s.

I pushed it a bit on the 1/2 mile “sprints “

The first supersets were KB deadlifts and bar pull-ups. Not too bad.

The next sprint was followed by leg curls on a ball and renegade rows. This really torched my core, and I still had to do the core-specific portion of the workout.

I made it through, but really slowed down and I’m feeling it now.

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m with you Matt.

The second set of 22s are what slowed me way down. Also, the last 1/2 mile I walked at max incline on the treadmill instead of running.

The core workouts were pretty brutal after the renegade rows. From the workouts over the last few days I feel it in my whole body. I’m sore in places that I haven’t been much before from regular lifting. I do think that’s a positive.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 1 - day 4 and 5.

Day 4 was called 4 quarters. Superset 3 rounds of each quarter. The 3rd and 4th quarter was tough to get through. It was a great work out, I liked it a lot.

Day 5 was simple. 45 minutes of a sustained cardio activity and hamstring curls with a ball.

Looks like 22’s again to start week 2. I decided to only take Sunday off and start week 2 on a Monday. From now on I’ll take the 2 recommended rest days.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I had a similar Week 1 Day 4.

Day 5 cardio felt like a cakewalk.

I will start Week 2 on Tuesday.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I gave it the full 2 day rest and started week 2 this morning. 22’s again with the tough core workout from late last week. I had a tough time getting through the push ups but I got through my squats and lunges much better this week. The core exercises at the end were a killer.

I definitely did better in sustaining through the 22s this week. In the program it says these first couple weeks are to get all of your muscles firing together and to establish good form. I can honestly say I can see my balance and form improved after last week.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Jordan,

I am glad I'm not the only one burnt by the time core rolls around.

Adding the empty bar to the ball squats and lunges brought the intensity up this week!

I don't feel too sore either, so I think I'm adapting ok.

I want to add that my weight when I started was a svelte 184, so I will check at the end of this week to see if there is any change.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 2 Day 2: The long haul

Any improvement over last week is good, right?

6e40cd8f198cf548043e180c481dba18.jpg

Feeling good. A little tight until after the warmup.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Missed posting yesterday. I was just over 40 minutes in my time. I rotated between the rows, treadmill and stairs. Off for week 2: day 3 now!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 2 Day 3:

This was easier than last week for me. I should have upped the weight a little more.

Still, the 100 sit-ups at the end were miserable torture.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 2 day 3:

Pretty much the same as Matt. I got through this easier than last week. I think I’d of rather done the more complex core workout than the 100 sit-ups though!

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in. Chatted with Dustin briefly via email and I want to give this a go. Dropped 60 lbs last year on Keto and have kept it off. . Now I want to straight up improve fitness in a big way. Week 1 Day 1 starts Monday. Mommy!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in. Chatted with Dustin briefly via email and I want to give this a go. Dropped 60 lbs last year on Keto and have kept it off. . Now I want to straight up improve fitness in a big way. Week 1 Day 1 starts Monday. Mommy!

Keep us updated on this thread!