MTN TOUGH Backcountry Hunting Postseason Program Thread

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 3 day 3.

I skipped this mornings workout to go hunt coyotes. So I did the workout this evening before dinner. Reminded me why I don’t work out in the evenings anymore. I did okay but can’t say I hit it real hard. The legs are pretty sore so I burnt out kinda quick. We’ll see what day 4 has in store in the morning.

Extra photos for the coyote morning...
Got 2 males killed. Should of had a 3rd but I sucked, haha.

b5ad07305da365f05b6926946921528f.jpg
58c31c674ed684d2338dc5bdffcd4fa1.jpg
57af6e0a095467447d153ab4fbbb1ec9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 3 Day 4:

“Grinder”

35 min AMRAP

Row, airsquats, DB stepups, monkey planks, DB cleans, and chin-ups.

Monkey planks are some sort of rub-your-tummy-and-pat-your-head challenge.

I was on my 3rd round chin-ups when the timer buzzed.

Pouring sweat this morning.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 3 day 4.

Good Lord! I made it to the 3rd round. Was finishing my last monkey plank when the timer went off.

This program incorporates legs like no other. Just today things equated to 150 air squats and 120 weighted step ups. I did 10lb dumbbells in each hand.

We’ll see how I feel in the morning and what the next workout brings. Ready for a couple day rest!

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
W1D3 in the bag. Spent a little extra time confirming my form through the entire deadlift set (have been injured doing olympic DL's before. . so I'm a little hesitant on them). Ended up adding 10lb from the 10 set descending. Renegade rows weightless. I've confirmed that basically my entire upper body is worthless. Ha.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
About to head into Week 4 day 1...

While I was thinking about it I wanted to mention a podcast with the MtnTough gang I listened to yesterday. Rich Outdoors episode 314. Ara and Dustin talk about both programs and Ara gives great insight into his background and where a lot of the workouts come from. It’s not just a bunch of workouts these guys threw together and are selling. There’s reasoning behind every exercise, why it’s placed where it is and how they all work together to benefit your body and mind. I’ve done a couple different programs in my few years, but this one I really believe in.

I recommend everyone listen. There’s also only a few days left to take advantage of the deal they have for both programs, that equal 8 months of exercises.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 4 day 1 complete.

Same exact thing as last week. 3 different supersets at 4 rounds a piece. I feel stronger this week with these. I added weight to my lunges but not my squats or bench press.

I feel great!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 4 Day 2:

Increased my time from last week due to hotel gym crowding issues.

Still a great workout.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 4 day 2: intensity day

6 rounds of 5 things as fast as you could. I didn’t improve time from last week, I actually had a longer time. But I added more weight this week and did them all with more intensity. I pushed harder on this workout than any of the others and ground through it. The end of the 5th and the 6th round was a grind. I’m super with it, I feel like I really pushed myself.

The workout says 15 calories on the skier or rower... I unfortunately don’t have either available. So I walked on the treadmill for those.. 12% incline at 4mph.

eecdc55b5450684392bcb4a4190abe1a.jpg

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 4 day 3. Another strength day, same as last week.

Everything felt good. The single leg RDL’s are challenging to get mastered. I got through the core workout stronger this week but good lord it was tough. High numbers of sit-ups, elbow to knees, flutter kicks, crunches then planks. By the time I hit crunches I was a burning unit.

Tomorrow looks like the high intensity leg day from hell again :) see you all at 5:30 am!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 4 Day 3:

I am with Jordan on this one. The RDLs were easier for me this week.

Core was brutal. I wish I could say I got all the way through the sets without a break, but I can’t. Had to pause during the sit-ups.

I swear my timer slows down during the last ten seconds of the plank too.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 4 Day 3:

I am with Jordan on this one. The RDLs were easier for me this week.

Core was brutal. I wish I could say I got all the way through the sets without a break, but I can’t. Had to pause during the sit-ups.

I swear my timer slows down during the last ten seconds of the plank too.

Oh hellllll no on the core... I also had to pause with each one. 80 freakin flutter kicks then onto crunches... killed me

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 4 day 4.

35 minute intensity day. I was not feeling it this morning. I was doing my 3rd round of squats when the timer went off. Took more breaks than I did last week but I also added some weight to the weighted step ups, 20lbs in each hand.

I believe tomorrow is another backpack day like last week. If it continues to be 10 degrees outside I’ll be walking on the treadmill. Haha.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 5 Day 1:

Strength supersets

Squats, incline bench

Farmer carry, weighted side lunges

Plank tricep extensions, Russian twists

Other than the 5:30 AM math I had to do to calculate my weights for superset 1, I really enjoyed this morning’s workout.

On to day 2...

JohnnyR

FNG
You folks are motivating! Keep up the good work.

While agreed on specific conditioning for specific tasks (mountain hunting at altitude), I went a different route two years ago and it has truly changed my life.

Started doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (bjj) and some yoga in January 2017 and now am at six days a week of drilling and sparring. At the beginning (turned 51 today) it seemed impossibly difficult, but I just kept showing up. Two years later I’m in better shape than I’ve been in for fifteen years.

Endurance, strength, flexibility and mental fortitude - it’s a continual climb upward in capability. Sure, there will be a time in the not distant future when gains start to diminish and capability begins to wane. We all get old. But, how sweet it is now to be able to continue the march through the mountains! The alternative was too much to bear.

Last season I practically ran rings around my hunting partner at 10,000’ even though he lives at 6,000 and I’m a flatlander through the winters.

The “secret” to all of this is simply showing up and putting in the time, hopefully in a complimentary regimen.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 5 day 1. Almost forgot to post!

This was a good workout. The lateral lunges took me a minute to do correctly for some reason. I did the first set without weights for form, then added weights and did well. Looking forward to what the rest of this week has. This phase is 3 weeks instead of 2.