Mtm case or other options

sdupontjr

WKR
I'm setting up my pelican case for travel. I loaded for my 7 mag and 308. Will probably bring both rifles. And 2 boxes of ammo each. I'm considering the 20 round MTM cases to store the ammo. My 7 mag rounds are longer than sammi spec by a good bit.

What case do you guys recommend so my bullets don't slosh around and hit the tips? I'd like to find one where they store bullet tips down so it doesn't hit, but I can't find one. I could also get a larger case, say for 300wm or some other and stick some foam in the lid to keep them from rattling around.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
I ended up ordering some MTM J-20 LLD cases. They are listed at a length of 3.84" OAL. At $2.99 each, if they don't work, I'll just use them a simple storage. But after looking online, I'm gonna install some soft foam in the lid. Should help with them moving around. Plus, I could also use them for my longer 308 rounds. Just double up the foam in the lid. Well see, just trying to get this laid out before I start cutting. My handloads don't quite fit in the Hornady box, but at least it gave me a reference. When they come in, I'm going to try and fit the 4 MTM cases so I'' have 2 boxes of each.
Pelican Vault.jpg

If you use slip top boxes put a rubber band and round them. You could cut out a thin piece of foam and put in the top the boxes as well

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
If you use slip top boxes put a rubber band and round them. You could cut out a thin piece of foam and put in the top the boxes as well
That is exactly what I'm gonna try and do. Never flown with reloads so i guess my fear is the banging around would allow the tip of the bullets to constantly hit, thus there would be a possibility of a COAL / CTBO change. But maybe I'm just being anal. DK.