MT vs ND road trip

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
I took the GSP to ND the last few years, around the central part of the state and had a lot of fun. Plenty of pheasants around and not a lot of people to contend with, but there aren't really a lot of public areas. I was thinking of trying MT this year to try a different kind of landscape, more big open country, more public, but MT is so freaking big, I don't really have a pulse on where to start. I hunt mountain birds here in CO - so when we travel, we are typically lookin' for more open country opportunities. My dog is a 68lb GSP - big runner. Not looking for your spots, just some broad advice on where to get started. When I travel to hunt, I typically just take-off in the truck and land where I land dirt bag style. If you have any wisdom you'd be willing to offer, I'd appreciate it! Thx and hope you guys are having a good season on big or small game!

Couple things.

Get a block management book and maps from MFWP. The information changes yearly with property and mapping so you want to be current.

Call MFWP for the region you want to hunt and ask them which block management areas in their region have good bird hunting.

I don't bird hunt east of the divide much, but a friend does it all fall. He just drives to different BM locations in his RV, gets out with his dog....and starts hunting for birds.

Talk to locals. They will steer you where to go if you are polite and cordial. Then it's just going to be boots on the ground figuring it all out...

Good luck on your endeavor, and remember to enjoy the journey...and scenery.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Couple things.

Get a block management book and maps from MFWP. The information changes yearly with property and mapping so you want to be current.

Call MFWP for the region you want to hunt and ask them which block management areas in their region have good bird hunting.

I don't bird hunt east of the divide much, but a friend does it all fall. He just drives to different BM locations in his RV, gets out with his dog....and starts hunting for birds.

Talk to locals. They will steer you where to go if you are polite and cordial. Then it's just going to be boots on the ground figuring it all out...

Good luck on your endeavor, and remember to enjoy the journey...and scenery.
Thanks for the input!