MT unlimited sheep

Anybody got any plans to give it a go this season. I've done it for a couple of years obviously unsuccessful but I was sheep hunting and loved every minute. I've even managed to find a few sheep. I'm definitely a glutton for punishment and will be dragging my 40 yo butt up into the high country again. You've only got so many opening days and some of mine might as well be sheep hunting. I've been applying in 3-4 states for 28 years and haven't drawn 1 yet hell I might get lucky and get one unlimited and never drawn who knows. Good luck to all you crazy buggars that will be joining me.

OP
tkhuntsman
I'll be in there again this year. Love that country! Saw some small rams last year, that alone was a win for me!
Yep just seeing rams on those hunts is a win. The first year I hunted it I hiked all over the unit glasses like a madman for 10 days straight and didn't see a sheep. Completely wore myself out and didn't get back that year didn't even follow up to see if or when the quota filled. Switched units and scouted harder before the next years hunt managed to find sheep but didn't find a legal ram all season (quota filled 12 days in). Hunted that area again after scouting hard found a good ram never relocated him during my hunt. Hopefully I can put it all together this year.

6.5x284

WKR
Yep just seeing rams on those hunts is a win. The first year I hunted it I hiked all over the unit glasses like a madman for 10 days straight and didn't see a sheep. Completely wore myself out and didn't get back that year didn't even follow up to see if or when the quota filled. Switched units and scouted harder before the next years hunt managed to find sheep but didn't find a legal ram all season (quota filled 12 days in). Hunted that area again after scouting hard found a good ram never relocated him during my hunt. Hopefully I can put it all together this year.
I was surprised how many previously successful people I ran into that were there helping a buddy get theirs. Most told me it took 3-5 years dedicated to connect. I'm bringing an Apple Air Tag this year to throw in their pack and follow...

I was surprised how many previously successful people I ran into that were there helping a buddy get theirs. Most told me it took 3-5 years dedicated to connect. I'm bringing an Apple Air Tag this year to throw in their pack and follow...
Did you run in to alot of people or is everyone pretty spread out?

OP
tkhuntsman
The first year I saw 2 other groups of sheep hunters. The next couple I was a lot more concentrated on one drainage and it was pretty rugged and thick so I didn't see anybody on the mountain. I noticed a few vehicles at the trailhead occasionally but it was always in the dark and I never met a person there. I have talked to several guys over the years that were up there hunting but for the most part it's not crowded especially when you get off the beaten path and a few miles in.

6.5x284

WKR
I'm sure each unit is different and I'm no expert by any means in there. On the trails I could glass multiple people a day working through, the majority a day or two before opener. On the initial hike in there were 5 of us all sort of all working our way in and leapfrogging as some would stop for water or snacks at different times than others if that makes sense. All in all, I saw much less than I anticipated. Which likely means I was in the wrong spot lol.

S-3 ranch

WKR
This post has reminded me I am over due to go visit my uncle Hank
who lived in St ignastus Mt and had some very detailed information on where he hunted sheep and goats, but list only trails and kill location, not units or towns
only has stuff like “ Chinese wall trip”
I need to sit down with him on google maps and flag his notes and find the unit number

OP
tkhuntsman
This post has reminded me I am over due to go visit my uncle Hank
who lived in St ignastus Mt and had some very detailed information on where he hunted sheep and goats, but list only trails and kill location, not units or towns
only has stuff like “ Chinese wall trip”
I need to sit down with him on google maps and flag his notes and find the unit number
Yeah the unlimited sheep units are down south along Yellowstone 300,301,500,501,502. The wall is up north in the scapegoat/ Bob marshal area he lives like way west. It would be interesting to find out some of that historical information and how it correlates to current hunts and just how they traveled and how far to do those hunts in the earlier years.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Yeah the unlimited sheep units are down south along Yellowstone 300,301,500,501,502. The wall is up north in the scapegoat/ Bob marshal area he lives like way west. It would be interesting to find out some of that historical information and how it correlates to current hunts and just how they traveled and how far to do those hunts in the earlier years.
Nice to know , I know they hunted in the mystic lake / rose petal or rosebud drainage somewhere in the south west

I'm sure each unit is different and I'm no expert by any means in there. On the trails I could glass multiple people a day working through, the majority a day or two before opener. On the initial hike in there were 5 of us all sort of all working our way in and leapfrogging as some would stop for water or snacks at different times than others if that makes sense. All in all, I saw much less than I anticipated. Which likely means I was in the wrong spot lol.
That’s good to hear! But agree with your last sentence I’m sure there’s a lot more people in the hot spots. There’s a few guides that run in some of the units now to that usually have pretty good success.

PMcGee

WKR
I didn’t get an elk tag in Idaho so I think I’m going to give it a shot this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

S-3 ranch

WKR
I was solicited today buy crosshair outfitters ( I don’t except soliciting sheep hunt from unknown sources)
is this even a good deal?

Special Offer:
2023/2024 Seasons Montana Unlimited Area Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Special $22,500 fully outfitted and guided. Don’t overlook this unique opportunity!

If you are after any species of North American Sheep send me a PM and I’ll connect you with proven operators I know, have personally hunted with and trust.

We do Sheep Internationally as well. Thanks All!””

bsnedeker

WKR
I was solicited today buy crosshair outfitters ( I don’t except soliciting sheep hunt from unknown sources)

Special Offer:
2023/2024 Seasons Montana Unlimited Area Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Special $22,500 fully outfitted and guided. Don’t overlook this unique opportunity!

If you are after any species of North American Sheep send me a PM and I’ll connect you with proven operators I know, have personally hunted with and trust.

22.5K for UNLIMITED SHEEP? I know nothing about sheep hunting but that sounds absolutely insane to me! Why would you not take that kind of money and go buy an actual sheep hunt in Alaska or something?

S-3 ranch

WKR
22.5K for UNLIMITED SHEEP? I know nothing about sheep hunting but that sounds absolutely insane to me! Why would you not take that kind of money and go buy an actual sheep hunt in Alaska or something?
Exactly, seems shady to me getting a solicitor outfitter , how did he get my contact information?

Last edited:
OP
tkhuntsman

Special Offer:

Yeah that seems pretty ridiculous. It's competitive for sheep hunts in an area that has good populations and more consistent harvest opportunities. Unlimited units are tough with low sheep numbers and competition is steep. Not to mention trophy quality is not the best it's definitely about the experience on this hunt. I've guided sheep hunts in units with good trophy potential and that are limited draw and our hunts didn't cost that much. It seems really high for what the hunt is.