MT elk permit app question

chuckq777

FNG
This is my fist time applying to MT, I’ve applied to most all the other states and just spent the morning watching any video I could find on the app process

From what I can tell, the only way I can apply for an elk rifle tag is to add the combo ? And if I’m not drawn the best I can do is get the 80% refund on the combo ?

I added the base hunting license and seems like this is my only option.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the only way to apply in MT? So confused and this seems very expensive.

Thanks for your time.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you DRAW you can return the tag before August 1st for 80% refund. You can also click for a refund of 80% if you apply and don't draw a special tag.
Elk combo =elk
Deer combo= deer
Big game combo= deer & elk.

MONTANA is confusing for sure

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
C

chuckq777

FNG
So I can’t apply for just a permit ? I have to apply for a combo also ?

That’s were my brain is not understating this!?!?

Thanks for responding !! Appreciate it.

OldGrayJB

WKR

You're correct. You must be drawn for the combo license before you are eligible for the limited permit. If you don't draw the permit, you can hunt the general units, or get an 80% refund on your combo license.

Legend

WKR

You need to know the difference between license and permit. A license goes on the animal. A permit (think LE draw) gives you privileges on how to use a license.

Non residents also have preference points (tied to the license draw) and both res and non res have bonus points (tied to the LE permit draw). If you do not have significant bonus points save your money as coveted LE draws are getting ridiculous with our squared bonus points.

I am a resident so not familiar with the rest of your challenges. But I can confirm we make it confusing.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
All non-residents must draw for antlered deer/elk licenses (tags). We call a license to hunt and a carcass tag a license (it's confusing to other states I know). There are 3 options for NR. Elk/Deer Combo, Deer Combo or Elk Combo. An Elk and deer tag, a deer only tag or an elk only tag. The "combo" means you get all the other licenses when you draw this tag (license), fishing, upland bird, etc. MT does this to give guys more opportunity to recreate while they are here. This is a general tag which you can hunt all of the districts (units in other states). If you want to hunt a specific district for deer/elk and it requires a permit (limited entry tag) you have to draw the combo first and then if successful you go into the pool for the permit draw, if you don't draw the permit, you still drew your general tag and can hunt in the general units which is mostly the entire state. If you draw nothing, you get a percentage of that total cost of applying back. Hope this helps.

OP
C

chuckq777

FNG
Got it.

I guess MT makes it so it’s not like other states where you can just apply to great units with little money to lose relatively speaking.

I have 5 points for deer/elk/antelope and wanted to roll dice on some units but would Probly hunt CO OTC if I don’t draw any of the big states.

So by my math I’m in for 20% of combo license, 15$ bucks app fee along with some other smaller fees and CC processing fees. In the event I don’t draw a permit for a nicer unit. MT is logistically difficult for me over closer states like CO.

I’ve hunted MT a few times but it was 10 plus years ago and enjoyed it very much.

Thank you very much for taking the time to inform me.

Erict

WKR
The "combo" means you get all the other licenses when you draw this tag (license), fishing, upland bird, etc. MT does this to give guys more opportunity to recreate while they are here.

That's funny. There is no "ala carte" options for NR in MT - they must purchase a combo license. Plain and simple, it's done for the $. I wouldn't be surprised if less than 50% use the fishing or upland bird license.