MT Big Game Combo Draw Odds published

Looks like MT NR big game combo and deer draw odds from this year have been posted.

https://myfwp.mt.gov/getRepositoryFile?objectID=106434

904D6FDA-90B2-47F2-879B-9391EBAC4FA9.png

Interesting that applications dropped by nearly 9000 from 2021 to 2022. Guess that COVID bump was real, and all is not lost for the western hunter.

I’ll make a bold prediction that they might not sell all 17,000 NR tags next year on the initial draw if gas prices remain insane and the economy continues its downward spiral.

Norm555

WKR
Pretty interesting to see how many fewer applications occurred in 2022 than 2021. Clearly the covid effect was real.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those extra $$ the government gave in 2020 bought some tags in 2021…more realistic numbers this year and if things keep tanking and rising on costs the number will shrink again…..saw this back in 2008 tags were easy to come by back then

OP
B
Interesting they left off 2022 1 pp draw odds hmmm
Because it was 0%.

In hindsight I was a total idiot applying at 1 PP this year. Had other primary plans anyway… Should’ve just waited for the PP only period and bought a point.

Though I will say the outfitter 2 PP rule didn’t hurt nearly as bad as I thought.

Erict

WKR
Interesting they left off 2022 1 pp draw odds hmmm
If you add up the numbers and subtract, it appears that there were 4364 apps with 0.1-1.9 PP. Looks like someone quickly typed up a document just to get it posted, but if they went that far they might as well have released the data in their "standardized" format . Maybe they will do so later, when their staff is done licking envelopes for the refund checks. :p

Usi05

WKR
I was regretting not buying my 3rd point to make it a guaranteed draw but felt good about last years draw stars.

Worked out well for me. Next time I’ll likely buy the point and not sweat it but I have other hunts this season so I just figured if I didn’t draw then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
If you add up the numbers and subtract, it appears that there were 4364 apps with 0.1-1.9 PP. Looks like someone quickly typed up a document just to get it posted, but if they went that far they might as well have released the data in their "standardized" format . Maybe they will do so later, when their staff is done licking envelopes for the refund checks. :p
I agree, first time I've seen decimals incorporated into their statistics as well. Quite a drop off in people applying with 1 PP. I like my conspiracy theory that they just didn't want people seeing that 0 was a higher draw % than 1 again, which cost them close to $1.5 million in PP money. Would be nice to see it in their standard format.

It looks like Colorado had a slight decrease in elk and mule deer applications this year. I believe I’m looking at the right numbers. As far as Montana is concerned I think ill stay out of the preference point system and just start rolling the dice with zero.

fatlander

WKR
Looks like MT NR big game combo and deer draw odds from this year have been posted.

https://myfwp.mt.gov/getRepositoryFile?objectID=106434

View attachment 419790

Interesting that applications dropped by nearly 9000 from 2021 to 2022. Guess that COVID bump was real, and all is not lost for the western hunter.

I’ll make a bold prediction that they might not sell all 17,000 NR tags next year on the initial draw if gas prices remain insane and the economy continues its downward spiral.

Look at the total apps numbers. . . It’s about 1,000 less not 9,000.

They posted different point levels for the different years. This is what point creep looks like.

Leave it to Montana to not even post apple to apples draw odd results.

OP
B
Look at the total apps numbers. . . It’s about 1,000 less not 9,000.

They posted different point levels for the different years. This is what point creep looks like.

Leave it to Montana to not even post apple to apples draw odd results.

Looks like they updated it… My screenshot had different numbers than what is currently posted as far as total apps.

Leave it to Montana…🙄

I'm from the Montana fwp and here to help you with your drawing. ........ possibly the most terrifying words an elk hunter could hear -Ronald Reagan