South Dakota Application Strategy

KurtR

WKR
East River Mulies? I grew up east river SD (Mitchell and Watertown), I've never heard of a mulie in eastern SD....of course it's been over 20 years so maybe things have changed?
Ya they are in the river hills see them crossing ice back and forth in the winter while out ice fishing. Nice thing is with very limited rifle tags they get a chance to grow up some toads shot every year. In wallworth I think we had 10 anydeer tags last year. I grew up in Watertown also I would rather hunt deer out here than back in shelter belt country any day.

bsnedeker

WKR
Ya they are in the river hills see them crossing ice back and forth in the winter while out ice fishing. Nice thing is with very limited rifle tags they get a chance to grow up some toads shot every year. In wallworth I think we had 10 anydeer tags last year. I grew up in Watertown also I would rather hunt deer out here than back in shelter belt country any day.
I can for sure say I never spent a lot of time around the river so that makes sense...good to hear they are living that far west of the hills.

GO ARROWS!!! What year did you graduate? I was in '96.

KurtR

WKR
I can for sure say I never spent a lot of time around the river so that makes sense...good to hear they are living that far west of the hills.

GO ARROWS!!! What year did you graduate? I was in '96.
I didnt realize that till i moved out here either. I graduated in '97. The civic arena was the place to be in the early 90's for those basketball games.

Lytro

WKR
You won’t be posting an east river mule deer because as a nonresident you are not allowed to apply for east river in the 1st draw, meaning you will not draw an east river any deer tag
Shows how much I know about the east river draw. The only east river unit I ever look at is where the in-laws have land in Clay County. The rifle tags are any deer there, but pretty slim chance of ever seeing a muley.

KurtR

WKR
Shows how much I know about the east river draw. The only east river unit I ever look at is where the in-laws have land in Clay County. The rifle tags are any deer there, but pretty slim chance of ever seeing a muley.
They have that in a bunch of er counties that will never see a mule deer really makes no sense.

Just to add to what others said, definitely look west river for mule deer as a nonresident. With that being said, I know of several monster muleys shot east river, but on private ground. Just like any other western state, opportunities are getting harder to come by, but they do exist. Especially for someone willing to hunt whitetails instead

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Just to add to what others said, definitely look west river for mule deer as a nonresident. With that being said, I know of several monster muleys shot east river, but on private ground. Just like any other western state, opportunities are getting harder to come by, but they do exist. Especially for someone willing to hunt whitetails instead

White tails 😴😴😴😴😴💤

There's a good amount of opportunity for whitetails, but certainly not an easy hunt. When I see them muley hunting you either step on them before you know they're there, or there over 1,000 yards away running already. They'll bed just about anywhere

I’m hoping my 6 pts are gonna get me a west river tag but after the last 2 years seeing the point pools become watered down to say I am not optimistic would be an understatement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I’m hoping my 6 pts are gonna get me a west river tag but after the last 2 years seeing the point pools become watered down to say I am not optimistic would be an understatement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not me! 40% of the time I draw a tag every time. 😁

KurtR

WKR
I have enough to get my any deer tag west river don’t know that I will burn them though not seeing anything interesting. Just get my east river tag this year probably