MR crew cab

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a new to me crew cab. Any tips or advice as far as fit, load hauling, etc..? Frame extender worth it? Thanks

Also just picked one up and could use any advice. Really interested to hear best way to attach rifle or if the way it is shown on the website is best. I ride a mountain bike in frequently and need both hands.

I love the crew cab for day hunts, best bag I've found so far, I sold mine last year but am trying to find another bag only. If get the frame extenders if you are going to do overnights with it.

I love my cc. I do mostly day hunts but the pack will carry more then I can carry. Just got the extenders and loads definitely ride better. I usually archery hunt but I would think you could strap your rifle virtually anywhere on the pack.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I would carry the rifle on a diagonal barrel up in the load pocket and pinch it in with compression straps. That way it would not interfere with the Bike seat. If you used a scabbard you would go barrel down. I use a gun bearer but I don't ride a bike.

Thanks Steveman2, I saw a pic of someone doing that and seemed like a good way to carry the rifle. My CC is due to arrive mid-next week and will give that a try. It seems like securing the rifle to the side of the pack as shown on the website would not be conducive to riding a bike as you mentioned. Also, it looks like bouncing around on a bike may cause the straps (when mounted on the side) to rub pretty heavy on the scope/stock making rub marks, just guessing on this one....

Anyone have any thoughts on if the MR removable hip pouches are a worthwhile add on, I like the idea of being able to have access without taking the pack off...

c5mrr270

WKR
The MR pouches are pretty small. I ran a kifaru medium pouch on my nice frame and it worked well and had a lot more room.

No experience with the CC, but as far as nice frame fit I would highly recommend the mean pad and ov belt guide from Oneiros Valley. I liked the nice frame without them, and I only have 50 miles or so with those additions to my pack so take it for what it's worth, but so far they have been a great improvement to the belt as far as getting a good and tight (but crazy comfortable) fit. I also added the mystery ranch frame extender, which is great with heavier loads. Having something sticking up behind your head in the shit-tanglies takes a little getting used to, and I'm not quite there yet, but I think so far that is a minor inconvenience to add a better load lifting angle. The hip pouches are great for calls, speed loaders, wind indicator...etc, basically small items you don't want to have in your pockets. If you want larger items on your belt I'm sure the kifaru pouches would be a better option.

Thanks guys I will defineately check out the belt guide and mean pad. I am thinking the mystery ranch pouches will work but may have to go with at least one kifaru medium. The pack is due to arrive Friday so I am sure I will have some more questions when it arrives, thanks again for the advice.

Well, got the crew can in the mail today, and with what little fitting I did with it and what little weight I put in it, I think I will be very happy with it. One thing I will need to figure out is how to manage the excess straps, anybody stumbled on a good way to keep the jungle of extra straps under control?

c5mrr270

WKR
My crew cab came with Velcro strips that you could use to roll the webbing up and then attach back to itself to keep them rolled up.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
yeah someone has "repurposed" the Velcro straps to keep the straps under control. MR has them I think they are 5 bucks but I do not know how many you get for that.
The belt pocket is pretty nice for my wallet. Once unzipped I have trouble zipping it back closed with one hand. Not a deal breaker but a hassle. I love the pack and frame. I did not feel like removing my Holster on the crew cab so I hiked today for 4 mi. with 70# in my Nice 6500. There is 1050 ft. of vertical to the top of the trail. The pack did much better than I did. I was actually able to Jog an uphill smooth section with the pack on. truthfully going down was as hard as going up.
I prefer the crew cab with load cells over the 6500. I have the extender for the CC but have not installed it yet. To each his own but for me the MR CC is the perfect pack for me
I got the 6500 for extended trips but I bet I will end up selling it.

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
My crew cab came with Velcro strips that you could use to roll the webbing up and then attach back to itself to keep them rolled up.

This. I really liked that feature on MR. Forgot aboyt that until just now. I may have to go down to their building and see if they'll work on my DT2.

MattB

WKR
This. I really liked that feature on MR. Forgot aboyt that until just now. I may have to go down to their building and see if they'll work on my DT2.

They do not work quite the same as the end of the MR straps have loops that the Velcro straps run through, but they still work just fine on Kifarus. That is how I contain the excess strappage on my Nomad.

Thanks again guys, I saw the web keepers on the MR website (not sure how I missed them before) going to move forward with the hip pockets as well and give them a try. Couldn't help myself last night, strapped on a 50lb bag of rock salt last night and took a few labs through the neighborhood...there was no shortage of jokes from the neighbors as usual and of course the wife when I jumped on her treadmill with salt in the pack and put on a few miles, couldn't be happier at this point.

wapitibob

WKR
The belt pockets were just the right size for me. The mtl is pretty pliable so one handed zip isn't real easy but can be done. I think you'll like them.