Moving to Idaho

There are a few of those decals up here too! The growth is inevitable, it doesn't mean we have to like it though.
The amount of campers set up last weekend was incredible. They'll leave their camps set up for the entirety of archery season and usually until the end of deer season in October.
When I was able to drive up and buy my tags every September for archery elk I would see the same thing....sigh.

waspocrew

WKR
I was born and raised in Idaho Falls - it's actually a pretty great place. Most of my family has since moved away, so I don't really feel the connection I once had with it, but I'd still recommend it. Like everywhere else, it's growing.

TheTone

WKR
I suppose Sun Valley is now like Big Bear?
Talked to someone today whose son has spent the summer in the sun valley area. Sounds like the kid has been absolutely blown away by how rude, pretentious and generally awful most of the people he has had to interact with are.

IdahoElk

WKR
Talked to someone today whose son has spent the summer in the sun valley area. Sounds like the kid has been absolutely blown away by how rude, pretentious and generally awful most of the people he has had to interact with are.
I've been area 35 years and I avoid SV as much as possible, we've been invaded by people from a certain state with a common political affiliation but where do you move to?

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a shame, visited there lat year and it's an absolutely beautiful area

IdahoBeav

WKR
I've been area 35 years and I avoid SV as much as possible, we've been invaded by people from a certain state with a common political affiliation but where do you move to?
Wyoming, I guess

It has been my observation that the people that move into Idaho have the political affiliation that Idaho is famous for.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Spoonbill

WKR
Lived here since 1974 and I agree with you. Also, lots of small towns west of Boise to retire in and still be close enough for the urban amenities of Boise. Payette, Fruitland, New Plymouth near the Oregon border. Parma , Homedale, and Greenleaf are nice little farming towns. A surprising number of people even commute from Emmett, Horseshoe Bend and Garden Valley to the north, and Robie Creek on the way to Idaho City to the east.
Clear Creek is more affordable than Robie Creek. It is uh…. Full of affordable fixer uppers.

180ls1

WKR

Funny you say that. I had the worse experience by far that I have ever had with fellow hunters. They were some locals from your town or Bellevue. They showed up at our camp at midnight and started walking around making comments about our CA plates, looking though stuff, asking us what we were doing there....

I also met a really cool guy who I still talk to every once and a while.

It's the last time I'll ever archery hunt unarmed. Sounds like tensions are really high there.

Spoonbill

WKR
Funny you say that. I had the worse experience by far that I have ever had with fellow hunters. They were some locals from your town or Bellevue. They showed up at our camp at midnight and started walking around making comments about our CA plates, looking though stuff, asking us what we were doing there....

I also met a really cool guy who I still talk to every once and a while.

It's the last time I'll ever archery hunt unarmed. Sounds like tensions are really high there.
My guess is they were either local dirtbags or recent transplants who are “locals” and want to act like they didn’t just move there. I grew up there and will say that isn’t the norm but also not shocked to hear that happened. Sounds like you met the elusive wood river valley methhead.

idahodave

WKR
Anyone saying Idaho is somehow ruined lacks perspective,...and frankly intellect.

Sure it's changed in the last 30 years and not necessarily better...where ISN'T that the case? ALL of the places most of us would care to live/raise a family fall under that banner.

It's still a top 5 state for outdoorsmen by ANY reasonable standard....and #1 for the smart kids.

I wish Idaho was still the same way I "found" it when my dad was transferred to MH AFB 37 years ago...but that ain't happening. It's still fantastically awesome and if you disagree you should probably get out a little more often because there are a LOT of great hunting/fishing opportunities to be had that would make you less pouty.

Dave

Geewhiz

WKR
Anyone saying Idaho is somehow ruined lacks perspective,...and frankly intellect.

Sure it's changed in the last 30 years and not necessarily better...where ISN'T that the case? ALL of the places most of us would care to live/raise a family fall under that banner.

It's still a top 5 state for outdoorsmen by ANY reasonable standard....and #1 for the smart kids.

I wish Idaho was still the same way I "found" it when my dad was transferred to MH AFB 37 years ago...but that ain't happening. It's still fantastically awesome and if you disagree you should probably get out a little more often because there are a LOT of great hunting/fishing opportunities to be had that would make you less pouty.

Dave
Hey Dave, no one disagrees with you, they are just trying not to convince any more people to move there. ;)

idahodave

WKR
Hey Dave, no one disagrees with you, they are just trying not to convince any more people to move there. ;)

Well THAT is a mindset I can get behind!

p.s. And yeah, I know most of saying what they are tongue in cheek as it were. There is at least one meathead that truly believes Idaho is ruined though. I should simply agree and offer to help move him out.

180ls1

WKR
My guess is they were either local dirtbags or recent transplants who are “locals” and want to act like they didn’t just move there. I grew up there and will say that isn’t the norm but also not shocked to hear that happened. Sounds like you met the elusive wood river valley methhead.

Yeah, my other local buddy there "hates those kids" to use his words. 1 bad ring leader and others too young or morally bankrupt to stand up for the right thing.

I caught a stray CA comment at a gas station in UT from some 60yo guy with grand kids. All I could to is chuckle but those are the only two bad interactions I've had and I am fortunate enough to hunt a lot of different states.

I think people are going to people and if you run into enough of them its bound to happen, regardless of area.

I’d think twice on Idaho. I live here and it’s nice but it’s over priced and will be overpopulated soon enough. Crime and homelessness will pick up unfortunately. Especially if a certain person becomes president even more people will flock to the state to seek freedom. Tons of people from all over which is fine because it’s a free country.
Wages suck here to. I work in Alaska so I’m not effected by that.

If I was solo in life and only me to worry about I’d be in rural Wyoming and in hiding. definitely not in Idaho. Although I like the Riggins area and there is not a whole lot of people there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRGT

FNG
North Idaho in general is where it's at. The trick is finding a decent value for renting/buying.